New here...

leeannimal

Apr 9, 2011
I was researching some stuff that happened while I was recently in Puerto Plata and actually wanted to get some opinions from others who seem much more knowledgable about DR culture and sankies.

I just returned from an all inclusive stay. I'll break things down :)
We were 4 people (3 female, 1 male) out for relaxing vacation. Spent the 1st few days at different beaches and would always end up at the pool bar after dinner and then to the evening shows and disco. Roughly our 2nd night there some of the animators started hanging out with us, chatting with our male friend about their families and what not. It was pretty mellow despite them at times getting up to "work". Every night we would end up hanging out with the animators, one in particular became interested in me. Frequently "fighting" over me. This was funny because I definitely wasn't seeking the attention, I'm not unattractive (30, slim, blonde) but was there for vacation not a drunk fest. My male friend told me that this particular animator had asked alot of questions about me, nothing inappropriate or $ related, just interest.
He began spending more and more time with me when we were out, other people actually commented that he was spending TOO much "public" time with me just sitting quietly and holding my hand and chatting. His personality when talking was very different from his "show" persona, the ladies LOVE him and he is very poplar and social with ALL the ladies, especially the older ones.
No mentions of "love" or $$ or my "status" other than making sure I wasn't married. Never asked for a room number or email or anything like that either.
After hours we made out and went our separate ways. I liked him but definitely wasn't hooked or seeking him out.
The following day I saw him around and we would all joke and laugh and have a good time, right before the evening show he says "I have to talk to you later", it was so serious. Even a few others took notice.
Directly after the show, still in costume, he comes out in the theatre and talks to me. He really likes me, wants to spend some time with me before I leave when he is off etc...
I work with children and families in crisis and for the most part can spot bull a mile away (case in point a few of the other animators!!). He seemed sincere. But again I was interested not hooked.
I was always still able to go about my vacation and be with my friends even when he would ask if I'd stick around or miss dinner out, I chose my plans.
A few more days went by like this, hanging out too much in public, asking my male friend and girlfriends permission to spend time with me etc. Relaxed. Not a sales pitch.
I did end up going off the resort with him. We talked before hand and he said he wanted to spend some time alone, that he lived 35mins away and wanted me comfortable to return the the resort anytime I wanted (the resort is very much outside of puerto plata). He told me what cabanas (walking distance) were and asked if I would mind the privacy. Being level headed and wasn't drinking I agreed to go.
We went, he paid for the room intending to spend the night (I chose not too). While we were there we talked and yes were intimate. A very different persona than the "animator". When I told him I would not spend the night but return to the resort he agreed and drove me back.
The following day would be his day off and I was leaving that night. He asked if he could call me on his friends phone and if there was time perhaps we could meet to say goodbye.
Which is exactly what happened the following afternoon, minus he goodbye because I ran out of time.
I do still like him and have given him contact info via his friend.

Genuine or sankie????

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I say if you get home, can't get him out of your mind and have to ask a bunch of strangers on the net if he is for real then you are hooked and he is a sankie.

But that is just my opinion which you have asked for ;)

leeannimal

Apr 9, 2011
Fair enough. It was more an opinion on how things unfolded.
Reading this forum was what got me thinking so I thought I'd put it out there.
Perhaps not ALL Dominican resort workers are sankies? Or maybe they are are.....either way no one made a dime off me.....

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
dirty devil - you were intimate with someone you were only mildly interested in - I wouldnt give it another thought and move on

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Animators are known for their success with women. This is one of the fringe benefits of the job.

Life is great for them unless two of their conquests happen to book a future vacation for the same week.

If he is an animator, then each week a fresh crop of women are staying at the hotel. They are smooth, good lovers, very attentive, and make women feel they are special. You can be certain that there are other women also thinking about this guy.

If you had said he was a lawyer or something staying at the hotel, I might have answered differently, but since he is an animator it is extremely unlikely that he is not using his charm with other women guests of the hotel.

I hope that you will not be like some of the other women who have been smitten that we have heard from recently and get angry when we tell you that the chances of this guy not being a sanky are so remote that it is almost beyond the realm of possibility. In the Dominican Republic animator=sanky.

A great many Dominican men also cheat on their wives. This is a cultural thing. It is extremely common for men to have children with several different women, only one of which is his wife.

leeannimal

Apr 9, 2011
I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility at all.
I may never hear from this person again, not an issue at all. And even if I do, the words money or some sob story would pretty much immediately answer my question....
I was more just seeing what people though of this particular situation....and if there was an angle in this particular case. A few of the other ones there, definitely. And even when he was working and doing his job, for sure was making others feel good and whatnot. That's the job too.....not naive here.

Like I said no one made a dime and no one will be.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
He is a Sankie, guaranteed. He has not asked for money YET. He has not asked for help YET.He has not expressed an interest in a visa YET.

But he will, guaranteed.

leeannimal

Apr 9, 2011
Will be interesting to see it unfold then!
Wonder how long before that contact is made....lol

Celtic Queen

Jun 19, 2010
Honestly Lee, it sounds like he is a sanky :( The fact that he seemed "different than the rest". Just shows that he is better at it than the rest. Smoother. I hate when DR1 posters gang up on a newbie asking such questions, but...would you go to a cheap motel with a guy at home, after not knowing him for very long? It'd be considered disrespectful for him to suggest it, right? Unfortunately same goes...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I agree with sky, more than likely tomorrow or Monday depending on his take of you. Keep in mind that some are good and will never ask for money or stuff but somehow it's always your own idea.

Did he tell you that in Dominican culture cabanas are not rented with the intention of spending the night and normally are used for a few hours of fun?

Set you spidy senses to high when he does call, not asking for money or saying anything about love might just mean that he has read you well.

ok that is all I will say or what happens is that the person asking gets set in proving everyone wrong and ends up in soup.

Good luck

Reactions: Eddy

leeannimal

Apr 9, 2011
It's ok. I don't mind the questions.
No I wouldn't.
That piece is sort of an aside. I could have not gone. I only did because I wanted to spend some time on our own and the city was a little far for me to be able to leave and get back on my own if I needed too.
I completely realize that he might have been working me the entire time. Perhaps the $$ stuff will come later.
Not like I am looking for a long distance rel or anything here.
Perhaps it's the opinion of the male friend I was there with (in our group) that is clouding things.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sanky? Yes.

This is a Sanky. "Animation" is the day job they have. This is what they do and how they do it. It is a very simple business. The law of numbers. Some fall for it, some don't.

In your case, DON'T.

leeannimal

Apr 9, 2011
Yes he did actually. He was very upfront about it.
I'll let you know :)

No trying to prove anyone wrong.
Just asking people who know.