Interest rates?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know of folks who came down here 7 or 9 years ago who had their money in banks at 18% interest.. now down to 5%! Better for the country .. bad for the investor. Are there any private placements which are secure and offer a better rate than the banks?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Yes annie. Anoeca in Puerto Plata. They are listed under Investments in the DR1 directory. Myself and many others on this forum have had accounts with Alberto for years. Starting next month, mine will be providing my early retirement income.:bunny::bunny::bunny:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Yes annie. Anoeca in Puerto Plata. They are listed under Investments in the DR1 directory. Myself and many others on this forum have had accounts with Alberto for years. Starting next month, mine will be providing my early retirement income.:bunny::bunny::bunny:

I have heard Alberto does not allow you to withdrawl when you want so please provide the agreement you enter with this fellow and or his terms and rates etc.

Thanks

Reactions: j&t's future

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
They are normally term bonds effectively. If you need flexibility for emergency its not the way to go.
The organisation has been in business a number of years while others have come and gone.
A unit trust/mutual fund say based in Luxembourg investing in developing country bonds is possible.
Offshore Funds
The best of these fund increase in value over 5 year about 10% per year. Withdrawls can be made at any time.
Can be denominated in Euros, USD etc. and in many there is no front loading.
If you are happy to cash in say 10% of your fund holding every year as interest past record indicate that you may well preserve the capital.
If there were a period of the fund dropping by say 8% it is possible to cash in and loose a years 'interest'.
An advantage is security - the funds have bonds from many countries. They are run by major financial institutions. Typically a withdrawl through internaxx or similar international stockbroker may take 1 week including transfer to DR.
Bond funds typically show less volatility than the stock markets although in good times the gains are less.
For money that could be needed quickly and a spread of currencies there are advantages. If the amount is large spreading the investment over 2 to 5 of such funds will further reduce risk. If one underperforms it can be dropped.
ETF's with similar holdings are possible but at present my impression is that track records are shorter. Some also may added volatility as the stock price may be at a premium or discount to the underlying assets.
But this an opinion of mine only as they say do your own due diligence.
Financial advisors have different opinions but sometimes these are colored by the companies they represent and the commissions they stand to receive. It may be better to pay a fee of say 200$ every couple of years for independent advice and invest separately though and international stockbroker or bank HSBC, internaxx etc.
Yanandu

There are alternative investments!

pedicab-ride.jpg

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

two questions.. are the interest rates listed on DR1 accurate? Still paying 8 t 10% on Us dollars?

and.. does the principal stay in the currency invested? dollars are dollars.. etc..

thanks

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
With Anoeca, you have a 6 month or 12 month contract. Interest can either be paid monthly or compounded. Principal can only be withdrawn at the end of the contract. It is essentially the same as a bank certificate of deposit. From looking at his website, it appears he now has what they are calling a "Flex Saver" account, where you could withdraw funds at any time. This would be the equivilant of a traditional bank savings account and as always, the more flexibility an account has the lower the return will be.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
two questions.. are the interest rates listed on DR1 accurate? Still paying 8 t 10% on Us dollars?

and.. does the principal stay in the currency invested? dollars are dollars.. etc..

thanks

Yes and yes (to the best of my knowledge). Check your PM.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Minimum is 10K pesos.

She just clarified this for me.

The minimum amount of time now is 1 year and 11 months. These are Banco Central CD's, NOT Banco Popular CD's.

According to her, Banco Central will no longer be selling CD's to the general public; it has to be done through an intermediary, such as Banco Popular.

If you want a Banco Popular CD, the interest varies depending on the quantity you invest, and the time period.

The 14% for 5 yrs is still available.

Sounds like this is more convenient for people rather than having to go to one of the few Banco Central offices. Can anyone find where it says this on the Banco Central web site? I don't see it here:

Banco Central de la Repblica Dominicana

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
*Bump*

I was in Banco Poular a couple of days ago.

They are offering 10% for 1 year, 14% for 5 yrs for investment CD's in pesos..

Is it just Banco Popular, or will other banks also have the ability to sell these CD?s ?????

Don