So many places, so little time!!

J

Joyce

We are going to visit the DR the last of May, but can only stay for 10 days. We are flying into Santo Domingo, with hopes of traveling further North to have the chance to see some of the countryside etc. We need advice as to which might be better for us to do?............... travel by bus to Sosua or POP to a hotel there, then take a day trip to Santiago and Jarabacoa, will this area provide alot of mountain and valley scenery with easy access........OR.....stay in Santo Domingo, and just take a day trip from there, (don't want to get to Jarabacoa or Santiago, and not have a major bus back to our hotel city that day)
We are hoping to get to see a good bit of SD also, so it might be good to base our hotel there for all that, up until we head to the East Coast for a couple of days before leaving. I am also trying to deterime which is a good moderate rate hotel or resort on the East Coast, if anyone can offer one.
Thanks, Joyce

H

Henry

You just want to break your neck! There are just to many things you want to do all togehter! Now to this my suggestion;

When you cameto Sto Dgo rent a car and stay the first entire day in Santo Domingo to get assimilated with the country! Then you drive to the north and right to Jarabacoa or Constanza, it is a very interesting drive up hill! After that you may want to see Santiago and stay there over night! Then you take the scenic drive to POP (do not miss the amber sites on top of the hill!)and look at this town! There is a harbor, Amber museum etc. to look at! Then you may slender along to north coast and enjoy some of the beaches! After this you drive back over Moca to Santo Domingo (just watch your brackes) and get your flight back!

Enjoy your trip!

Henry

J

Joyce

Re: Tell Me About The Amber Sites, Please??

Yes I want to see alot I know!!........lol. Where exactly are the Amber Sites, that sounds very interesting? Thanks for your help. JOyce

H

Henry

As I told you, take the scenic drive between Santiago and Puerto Plata, which is a narrow winding road going up hill for about 20 minutes! When you got to the top, there is a dirt road turning to the right hand, ask there some folks to get you to the mines or just to show you arround! (Anyway there are various places on the roadside driving up, where they find amber, so it dos not have to be the top, but it might be easier to find!

There you are!

Henry

J

Joey

whatever you do I would give myself 2 days for Jarabacoa and Constanza---it's the coolest most beatiful area in the country--views are breathtaking---go through the mountains from Jarabacoa to Costanza-------this is what the dr is all about
have a great trip

J

Joyce

Re: Suggest a Hotel, Point of Interest etc.?

Thanks for the info. I would appreciate suggestions for a hotel in Jarabacoa or Constanza please. Any suggestions of points of interest or things to do in a minimum amount of time would be helpful also. Any info on bus transportation etc., would be very helpful! lol Thanks so much. Joyce

J

Joyce

Thanks so much for the info, we will try our best to visit the amber site, but we may be on a bus instead of driving ourselves. We will have to see. Regards, Joyce

D

Diane

When you go to Puerto Plata you can lodge in Munoz close to Playa Dorada, by the river in nature. Cost 200 pesos per night. To know more look at the Website: tropicalhouse.s5.com