I have been reading this board for some time now and I have to ask Re: Typing skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

MovingToDR2011

Mar 29, 2010
Why do some posters find it necessary to TYPE "like" this when THEY "ARE" typing?

I have honestly never seen it in any other forums. When I first started reading these boards I thought it had something to do with Dominican keyboard set up haha. It seems,to "BE A problem" of DR1, the seemingly obsessive urge by some POSTERS to type in a style that requires "putting in poorly placed" QUOTATION "marks",capital letters and the randomly placed comma topped off with no space after.

Now this may be because I'm younger than some of the other members but when I read a post I read the inflections and emphasis that these quotation marks and capital letters indicate.

For example, this is a random (last one I saw before I made this thread) example of one of these posts:

But the colors of those,"Little Envelopes" does me no good !
Robert,now that you made the "FONT" bigger

The quotation marks around Little Envelopes are totally misused and imply that the Little Envelops are not actually little envelopes - they are. Then there is the problem of the capitalisation of the L and the E - this is unnecessary, but not a big deal. This line is then topped off by the ever popular space then exclamation point.

Onto the next line where we are greeted by the comma no space,and then the unnecessary use of quotation marks again along with the random capitalisation of words that everyone loves so much. So not only is the poster implying the font is not really a font (not exactly sure how that works) but he is shouting it as well, or at least placing some form of emphasis on it.

Please understand how your posts read and stop giving yourself more work with the only outcome - bad, although sometimes comical, posting.

I can only apologise for this rant - I will get back to creepin' it real and not posting.
"STEVIE"

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Stevie!

I love the post, but I think internet forums typically aren't the most grammatically correct places ;) That being said, you really ought to find this book called "Unnecessary Quotation Marks". True! I found it this summer, and as the daughter of an English teacher it had me laughing til I cried!

In the meantime, I wouldn't worry too much about the grammar; that being said, you might have a good career ahead of you teaching! :D

Anna

MovingToDR2011

Mar 29, 2010
I really don't mind about grammar on the internet for example when people confuse their/they're/there because if they sat down and thought about it I assume/hope they would be able to do it. Whereas people who make extra work for themselves by typing extra quotation marks and stuff. I just don't get it.

They must be able to see it doesn't look right when they read it back....

Status
Not open for further replies.