Gas Prices!!! Why?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I keep hearing the reference "Obama is the $4 per gallon President"

does this mean?

Leonel is the $6 dollar per gallon President.

The unrest in the middle east and its effects on oil prices are unfortunate. The increased demand in China and India also adds a little.

I believe the real culprits are the Wall street speculators that drive the prices. Its becoming another currency hedge.

I have felt for a long time that the Governments need to put the Kibosh on the speculative trading and shorting on a few essential commodities, oil of course being one of them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in poland gas is as cheap as sugar. only not, because sugar is now well over one euro per kilo. and gas over one euro per liter.
same crap everywhere, really.
don't blame the presidents, blame the producers and sellers. admittedly presidents could order chopping off some heads to encourage keeping prices down but apparently decapitation is politically frowned upon.

Feb 7, 2007
I have posted a comment on elcaribe.com.do website which apparently didn't get approved for posting.

While in Europe gas prices rose by average 8-10% this year in the DR they rose by 25% or more. In my country it was 8%, from 1.33 euro for super to 1.44 euro per liter (January to April 2011), in Germany the "super" gasoline (gasolina premium) rose from 1.46 euro per liter in January to 1.55 euro per liter in April, for an increase of 6%. In the same time, diesel rose from 1.30 euro per liter (Jan-2011) to 1.42 euro per liter in April for an increase of 9%. (source: gasoline-germany.com - Recent years' prices superbenzin2011)

At the same time in the DR, the gasolina premium rose from 172 pesos per gallon in Jan-2011 to 214 pesos per gallon in Apr-2011 for an increase of 24%, and diesel (gasoil) rose from 145 pesos per gallon to 190 pesos per gallon for an increase of 31%.

NOW, that is some food for thought .... Considering neither country changed the tax structure, it is very revealing that what's happening in the DR is speculation at its finest, some people are getting very very but VERY rich... and I do not take into account Petrocaribe treaty which gives oil to the DR with 20-year payment plan.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I believe the real culprits are the Wall street speculators that drive the prices. Its becoming another currency hedge.
Can you build an economic model for your assertion?

And do you realize there are many more brokers and buyers than just on Wall Street?

If the US bans all "speculation" do you actually think it'd go away? Do you think for a nanosecond that oil producing nations, including the US, has any desire to begin limiting prices?