Dog Sitter Question

jpinsantiago

Apr 12, 2011
I hope someone out there may be able to help. We are looking for someone to look after our toy poodle in Santiago when we go to see family in the Europe or take a trip to the US. We really don?t want to put her into a dog hotel/kennel. We want someone to look after her in their own home, she is used to living in an a apartment and fully house trained. We will be happy to pay someone to provide this service.
Thanks
JP

pucca

Mar 30, 2010
why not a hotel, i have a cousin who has a pet store and i've worked there before, they are very good at what they do, is ther any specific reason why you wouldn't leave him at a pet hotel?

hotchicksav

Apr 28, 2011
Hey I have a lot of qualifycations in animal care and I'm based in sosua area and looked after a lot of pets in the UK have a labrador email me at hotchicksav@hotmail.com and we can talk about me looking after your dog many thanks savanna

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You have no friends at all who can look after it for a week. Sorry but I would not be posting for sitters for a beloved pet on a forum where you know no one. Do you know anyone on this forum who could vouch for someone who did come forward?
Please be careful, a toy poodle as well, must be mad, IMO.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
try hacienda urbana in STI... highly qualified vet and a great heart for animals... more info pm me

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
try hacienda urbana in STI... highly qualified vet and a great heart for animals... more info pm me
My Great Dane Toby had a toe amputated because of the quality of care of that vet.

Caveat Emptor.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
99% of dogs who need an amputation of a toe have to do with accidents in playing/training or just stupid behaviour of the dog.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
99% of dogs who need an amputation of a toe have to do with accidents in playing/training or just stupid behaviour of the dog.

Blazing Furies Ranch
Then Toby is the 1% since his issue were none of those.

When we took him in to be neutered we asked the doctor (a super nice lady BTW, cordial, sweet and with a big heart) to trim his toenails since he didn't like to have his feet messed with, and at 130lbs usually wins arguments. Easily done under anesthesia.

When we picked him up, every nail had been cut well beyond the quick. Not trimmed. Removed. You couldn't even SEE any nails (we have photos.)

4 got badly infected as they grew out and we had to do continuous antibiotic injections. He was constantly limping. After 3 months one became necrotic and we had to have a chunk of flesh removed including the nail root. It kept getting worse. Finally I sent pics to a vet friend of mine with a substantial surgical practice in NJ. He said to get him to a doc quickly, he thought the bone had become infected, and if it spread beyond his toe a leg (rear) might have to be amputated.

Hillbilly referred me to Dr. Emmanuel Guillon @ Mundo Animal in Santiago. He took X-Rays and the toe bone was infected. So it was amputated and he's been fine since.

It is inconceivable to me that a qualified veteranarian would completely remove all toenails of a dog, well into the root, when asked to "trim" them.

You be the judge.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
As I have only one side of the story of Toby, it ends here for me. I will continue to recommend Dra. Santos as she is one of the better vets around the Santiago area. I am sure there are more but we have found her to be very reliable and experienced.

Blazing Furies Ranch

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Several DR1ers have seen Toby's foot and know the story. Feel free to be in denial or just call me a liar. What I posted is 100% true. His toenails were REMOVED when we asked for them to be trimmed during his neutering.

In fact, when the vet came out to our house deal with Toby's badly infected post-neutering scrotum (he was not given one of those "hoods" that prevents licking; however, Dr. Gruillon got us one for his toe amputation rehab) she saw the condition of his feet and gave us antibiotic ointment. She did this the same day she visited you guys after some pups had been born.

I'd post pictures but they are pretty disgusting.

drvolunteer

Banned
Jul 15, 2011
Mr. Cobraboy,

I am so sorry to hear what happened to Toby after his procedures at the veterinary clinic. I was one of the volunteers at working with Dr. Santos the same week you brought your pets in. Looking at our records and statistics, over 60 pets came into the clinic for surgery, all successful, and as you mentioned, Toby was in fact a special case. Looking at email communications between you and Dr. Santos we can see that your other pets turned out very well.

Just a quick note to thank you for the fine job you did with our kitties Marco and Cali. Both are doing well. Cali lost some weight at first and spent a lot of time licking her scar, but she's doing great now, and is getting "fluffy" again.
Toby was a special case due to his weight and also the very sensitive procedure which took place. His nails were cut shorter, which required him to remain less active than usual. He was carefully evaluated before being released, and he did not sustain any injuries or complications while at the Hacienda Urbana clinic. It is also very difficult for us to control his activities once he has been released to his owners. Post-surgical care is then left up to the owners, but we want to assure you that we are not pointing fingers. Such cases can be the result of many factors; simple things such as loading/unloading pets from cars or getting them into their cages can produce further injuries and complications. Sometimes it could just be the pet's own behavior. This same month Dr. Santos attended to almost 100 pets with many complicated procedures which also turned out very well.

On a personal note, I have seen how Dr. Santos has dedicated her life to providing good facilities as well as care to her patients and she takes these claims very seriously. She has been recognized as one of the few Vets in not only Santiago, but in the entire country, and the US, that has an amazing focus on animal care. It's not a surprise that she has the Dominican Republic's first, and only pet shelter (Animales en Peligro) registered with the official Pet Finder, dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of pets.

As always we want to make sure that pets and their owners have a very good experience at the Hacienda Urbana Veterinary Clinic. We are very sorry to hear that you and your pet had to go through this and are always willing to listen to you and work with you so that we can prevent this from happening to any owners and pets in the future. Please do not hesitate to if you would like to further discuss or visit our facilities.
We hope Toby is doing well and hope to hear from you on his progress :classic:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I'm confused, either the dogs nails were removed or they were not ? CB is an intelligent man and I can't imagine him embellishing the story. If the dogs nail were removed, that is total incompetence if not total malpractice or perhaps I'm missing something here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Question DRvolunteer: Have you seen a white and tan cocker spanial??? Ours was either enticed or decided to follow someone away form the house. If you or any other vet sees this dog please let me know via PM. There are very few white and tan cockers in Santiago.

HB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm confused, either the dogs nails were removed or they were not ? CB is an intelligent man and I can't imagine him embellishing the story. If the dogs nail were removed, that is total incompetence if not total malpractice or perhaps I'm missing something here.
You're missing nothing.

Chuck, Toby, my 125+lb. Great Dane, went in to be neutered (the "sensitive procedure.") Because he didn't like having his feet messed with...and being a VERY strong guy...I asked for his nails to be "trimmed" while under anesthesia. Common request, like asking to have your dog's teeth cleaned at the same time.

The nails were cut off. You couldn't even tell he had nails. Three got badly infected. We went through many rounds of antibiotics, and even the vet, to her credit, made a house call to Jarabacoa to do infection control before she went to work with Peter and Hilde's pups. One toe stayed infected and got worse. Necrotic tissue had to be removed. Ultimately the infection spread into the bone and a toe had to be amputated before the infection spread to the whole leg.

Yes, he's a big, rambunctous boy and certainly the vet can't control what a dog does post surgery. But I've had dogs all my life and have trimmed toenails forever. Never have I cut nails completely off and never have any of my dogs toes gotten so badly infected post-trim.

None of this would have happened if the nails had been routinely trimmed, that is just the dead tip removed. We aren't talking a big deal or a concept difficult to communicate. I'd never have approved the nails be completely cut off.

The vet and her staff are very nice, compassionate, friendly people and going there is a positive experience. I admire her good community works.

But I'd rather Toby have all his toes.

I would imagine lessons have been learned.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Lest there be any doubt about the subjective term "trimmed toenails",

Toby's front feet the day we picked him up ("normal" trimmed nails for a dog his size are 1/2-3/4" long from the meat of the toe):
TobyFootSmall.jpg

A week later when we began getting concerned:
TobyFootISmall.jpg

They all got MUCH worse. The vet ended up pulling maggots out of two of the holes where his nails used to be.