Lost passport

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Hi,
Sorry if this is in the wrong section....the new layout of DR1 has thrown me. Anyway....

My husband (in DR) got his visa to UK last December and we seperated at the same time. He has a new gf (Canadian) but he told me he is only using her for the money to get a flight to UK to be with me. Im not saying I believe this, but it may be important to my question. He planned to get the money from her and then use his visa to be with me. However, today he called and said he has lost his passport (cue sadness) and he is calling the consulate to see what he needs to do.

My questions;
1 - If he has genuinely lost it, do I need to worry about someone else trying to use the passport and visa to UK as I am the sponser?
2 - If he has genuinely lost it, will the British Embassy issue another visa if he got a new passport?
3 - If he pretends to have lost the passport with the visa, and gets a new passport and applies for a visa to Canada, will it work in his advantage as he can say he is single and never had a visa before? Will the Canadian embassy check this?

Thanks.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I would call the embassy immediately and advice them of the lost visa. Visas for the UK

As far as him and Canada is concerned just feel sorry for his new victim.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Eralc,

Report him to the UK Embassy. Let them know you are separated and concerned about your financial protection as his sponsor.

If you aren't together won't that nullify his visa anyway? I thought he needs to prove you are together in order to keep the visa status or go back to the DR.

As for the Canadian embassy. It would take a lot of scheming to pull that off and I am pretty sure the embassy would catch it. He would definitely have to have an interview with the complexity of the story so all identity documents, previous visas would be investigated.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Oh thats good news about the Canadian embassy. I keep thinking that he will just apply to go there and live happily ever after with his next victim. They both arent even divorced yet either. And he still tells me he wants to be with me, obviously coz he has a ready made visa to UK and sees it will be a long wait to go to Canada. What a sankie!!

Yes, I am sending a letter to the embassy here to cancel my sponsorship to protect my back.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in DR, like in most places stolen/lost documents need to be reported to the police. you also have to put ads in newspapers (there is a whole section about lost documents and number plates) before you can get a new version of anything. most people just go about their lives without said document and fix a piece of paper saying PERDIDA onto their cars because they do not have money to pay for lines in newspaper.
so, if has not done that he either does not giva a damn, did not loose the passport at all or did not steal enough from his canadian gf to pay the cost.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Oh thats good news about the Canadian embassy. I keep thinking that he will just apply to go there and live happily ever after with his next victim. They both arent even divorced yet either. And he still tells me he wants to be with me, obviously coz he has a ready made visa to UK and sees it will be a long wait to go to Canada. What a sankie!!

Yes, I am sending a letter to the embassy here to cancel my sponsorship to protect my back.

That's the best thing you can do i.e. PROTECT YOURSELF. I don't know about UK laws but I think that since he is not in UK yet you vcan cancel your sponsorship. Do it fast ( I'd give them a call first) and explain every thing to the ambassy people.