Thread: Faux Dough

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Faux Dough

We cashed a check not long ago at our usual friendly local cambio to pay bills. We gave our landlord her rent in 2000 and 1000 bills.

She came back with a 1000 bill saying "malo." She had given it to a friend to deposit and the bank rejected it as counterfeit. We exchanged the bill. Later, we looked closely against another presumably good bill and didn't really see much-if any-difference. So we used it to pay our phone bill.

Rejected. Fake. OK. I'm a believer.

We take it back to the cambio. They won't replace it because they don't know if it was one they gave, and-of course-~they~ get their $$$ from the bank and certainly the bank wouldn't give bad currency.

Looks like we're stuck. Just 1000 pesos, but still. I understand the bank will confiscate it and not replace it.

Exhibit caution. Faux dough is out there. Caveat Emptor.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

CB, I remember last year in SD many, many places refused to accept 2000 peso bills because there were fakes around.

AE

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy a pen from any stationers. You mark the notes and if it is clear they are OK. If black they are false. Always worth doing when you take out a reasonable sum of money from a cambio. They work for dollars as well as pesos, and cost less than 100 pesos.

Matilda

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    You can buy a pen from any stationers. You mark the notes and if it is clear they are OK. If black they are false. Always worth doing when you take out a reasonable sum of money from a cambio. They work for dollars as well as pesos, and cost less than 100 pesos.

Matilda
    Good advice, they're in every cash register in America. The only time I saw them in DR was when I was exchanging $100 bills for pesos at the bank.

AE

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post

Matilda
    Great suggestion, thanks!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The pens are all the same correct? If you buy one in the US it can be used in the DR?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

my mum had some money rejected in a shop as fake. she came back, locked the house, told me not to open the door to the police and then torn apart the bill and flush it down the loo. she did not sleep for few day thinking cops are after her
    cb, don't you feel the urge to wipe your butt with this money?