Beaches and Swimming Locations closed for Easter??

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I noticed this article in the news section tonight that numerous beaches and swimming locations are being closed for Easter Week for "public safety". I can see reducing the sales of alcohol for public safety and banning vehicles from the road that should have been in junk piles for years but closing the beaches? Why?

May 29, 2006
Because every year, numerous people who get drunk drown over Easter Weekend. While bar hours are limited, there is a lot of drinking over the weekend. Expect a higher that normal number of road deaths as well.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I noticed this article in the news section tonight that numerous beaches and swimming locations are being closed for Easter Week for "public safety". I can see reducing the sales of alcohol for public safety and banning vehicles from the road that should have been in junk piles for years but closing the beaches? Why?

Why? Because the country lacks sufficient resources to police the beaches for any activities that endanger the public. It has a not so hidden agenda to minimize risk, keep people at home, off the roads, and out of harms way. If the people are going to behave recklessly en masse let them do it in their own backyard, less possibility of injury or death to them or innocents.

Regards,
PJT

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Will Sosua and Cabarete beaches be closed to swimming?

Does that mean that Cabarete and Sosua beaches will be closed to swimming?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Last year's off limits list included Playa Guibia, in Santo Domingo, but that is a beach that I doubt any tourist would use. In Bahoruco there were many, but these are beaches to exercise much caution all year round -- Saladilla, San Rafael, Bahoruco (Bahoruco, Pedernales), Azul (Barahona), Los Patos (Paraiso, Barahona), Caleton (Enriquillo, Barahona). This year's list should be similar. Not of concern to tourists, because the off limits beaches and river sites are well off the beaten paths.