moving to dominican republic from canada, is one way ticket ok?

melodie

Apr 15, 2011
Hi, I bought a ticket one way to the dominican republic because my husband (who is dominican) and I will be moving there next month. is one way ok or do I need return flight? pretty stupid since we wont be returning. any info?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
He doesn't need one, he has a Dominican passport. If you don't, there are two schools of thought here on DR1.....officially you need a return ticket, but you'll hear from lots of folks here who travel to DR on a one-way ticket without a problem. Others have been forced to buy a return ticket. If that happens, make sure it's NOT non-refundable, and then just turn it in for a refund later.

AE

melodie

Apr 15, 2011
ok! thanks. but being his wife and since it is a move do you think i will have to buy return ticket?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What they are trying to tell you is that "Yes, in theory you must have a return ticket" ... However, as the wife of a Dominican, you can opt for DR citizenship, eliminating the need for residence etc...

Of course, a whole bunch of us would hope you have the return trip option...at least at the bottom of the drawer. You will find Moca quite different.

HB

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It totally depends upon how vigilant the person who checks you in for your flight is. I know that when I checked prices a few days ago, I got an automated message from the airline (was pricing a one-way) that I would need proof of an ongoing or return flight at check-in.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
He doesn't need one, he has a Dominican passport. If you don't, there are two schools of thought here on DR1.....officially you need a return ticket, but you'll hear from lots of folks here who travel to DR on a one-way ticket without a problem. Others have been forced to buy a return ticket. If that happens, make sure it's NOT non-refundable, and then just turn it in for a refund later.

AE

Just to clear some confusion, in case, a Dominican born citizen is reading this thread. Dominican born citizens CAN travel in one way ticket to the DR using their foreign passports, as long as, their foreign passports say that you were born in the DR.

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
In the last 12 months I have travelled to the DR 4-5 times from Canada always with a 1 way ticket and never had a problem. I always used aircanada, from what I understood it was only a certain american carrier that forced you to buy a return ticket. Now I am here for good and don't plan on leaving again :) Good luck to you

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
We just moved here 3 weeks ago from Canada. We flew with Westjet. We had 1 way tickets and had absolutely no problems.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I've flown West Jet a couple time on a one way and never had any problems. I've never tried a one way with Air Canada, but I have a friend who was flying Air Canada in August on a one way and was forced to buy a return ticket before they would check her in.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Air Canada will not allow you to board the plane with oneway ticket unless you have a residency or Dominican passport. Westjet I flew many times on a oneway ticket and never had a problem. When I flew air canada, I was forced to buy a return ticket. Bought a ticket with westjet. Westjet allows you to cancel your ticket free of charge within the first 24 hours. After that you will pay $50 cancellation fee.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Air Canada will not allow you to board the plane with oneway ticket unless you have a residency or Dominican passport. Westjet I flew many times on a oneway ticket and never had a problem. When I flew air canada, I was forced to buy a return ticket. Bought a ticket with westjet. Westjet allows you to cancel your ticket free of charge within the first 24 hours. After that you will pay $50 cancellation fee.
I flew Air Canada 2 weeks ago and there was no mention of return ticket. Go to A/C website. I just did and started booking a ticket for the 11th. 300 +/- one way Sat. 11th.

Nov 25, 2008
If they ask you why don't you have a return ticket, tell them you have plans to travel to Puerto Rico by ferry and from their you'll be heading back to Canada

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Avoid having anyone ask and do self check in or check in from home. They will only want your passport and boarding pass to drop off your luggage.