EdeNorte issue, HELP!

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
More than 9 months ago, we had a major power surge, via EdeNorte, zap the majority of our televisions, lamps, dvd players, refrigerator etc. We filed the correct paperwork through EdeNorte, went through the process of getting various price quotes for EVERYthing and were also visited by a "claims agent" from the company who inspected and took pictures of all the damaged items. (He then sat on our front porch for over an hour, eating more than 7 bananas while staring at our little daughter who was speaking in French and English, as if she was an alien....irrelevant to this post, I know. Yet strange, nonetheless.)

Anyhow, we have not heard anything since then and when we do try and contact the company, we get the run-around. Any advice from others who might have been through this before?

Thanks in advance.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
There have been a ton of these cases recently. Sadly, they all have the same "run around" story as you.
I think that if you stay on top of it, you MIGHT see some of the money SOMEDAY, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think every single technician who comes to our house looks at our kids in the same way. Weird, right? But, you don't see too many bilingual dominican kids running around, so it's like a novelty.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
100's of people are in the same boat. Don't expect any compensation. If they paid all the claims they wouldn't exist . Go on with your life. One of the pleasures of living in the sun. ;) Oh yea, my contribution: 3 TV's, 1 Fridge and 2 VCR's etc. etc. over the years. Go for a stabilizer. At least that's the only thing you will have to replace.

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
I am having a hard time letting this one go! I know, I know, I should get over it, I have been in the Caribbean for 7 years and should already know the deal. However, this was a negligent move by a contracted company that crossed 2 wires and sent the surge through our house. While we were screaming to stop, the man did it a second time, blasting out the TV and DVD player that our 2-year old was standing in front of.

Really, there is nothing that can be done?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We had the same problem at home in Santiago, 90% of devices went toast! Did the report, filed the claim and everything as you listed with one other caveat: We had a lawyer representing us always when contacting the claim's officer in the company. Everything that had to be said, asked, verified was done via our lawyer. It took about 4 months to have the claim addressed and three partial credits to our account (they never give money any other way than crediting the account, in the agreement that the unpaid portion of the bill credited is the amount to cover the claim's devices first and foremost).

Aside from filing the claim and talking with the agent, the lawyer did all the rest for us!

We had support evidence of the devices being owned and kept in our home, as we had plenty of pictures where the devices could be seen in the background.

We got paid! Err... I meant we got credited!

Ir you go at it alone without a lawyer you won't see much if anything from the claim. And the best part was that once they knew we had hired a lawyer after the mandated waiting period had expired, they breezed the claim and credited the account for the next billing cycle. As it works the credit pays your bill (as if) and you're supposed to use the cash on hand saved by the credit to buy your stuff again. That's how we got paid!

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
Lawyer

i THINK WE SAID THAT BEFORE..

hb

Ok, seriously DR1 people...

I rarely post on this site and my reasons for not doing so have just been, once again, re-confirmed. I read many of the posts where the OP is blasted for asking a question or voicing a concern. Those that reply with arrogant and often rude comments appear to be jaded beyond belief. As someone who has lived abroad for most of my adult life, I make it a point to help others who are new to the scene. However, it appears that many of you make it a point to act like know-it-all, demi-gods of the DR. Many often forget that their own experience might be very different from others.

Thanks for the advice from those who contributed something relevant. Au revoir DR1, you have been of no help to me, perhaps only reminding me of why I do not like to befriend fellow ex-pats.