Ferry

Z

zinnia

I have only been in D.R. for 2 months and i would like to get some information on the Ferry that goes to Puerto Rico. Can
anyone tell me where I can get this information.
Thanks

T

trina

This one has been exhausted on the archives. The ferry runs from Santo Domingo to Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. Having taken this ferry myself, I would never do it again. It is run by Ferries Del Caribe (I think, again, check archives, you will find the phone number by doing this as well). We took this ferry in February of 2000, and boarded at 4:00 PM. The boat arrived in Mayaguez at 8:00 AM the next day, but because of all the people who needed to go through immigration, we couldn't leave the boat until 11:00 AM. We paid $120 US, but now I think it costs $160 US one way. This includes nothing but the boat ride there. If there are no cabins available (there is an extra $60 US chg if you want a cabin), you have to sleep on tables or on the floor. Not very comfortable, and what do you do with your luggage? You have to keep it with you so you can watch it. The meals on board were expensive and not very good, but you haven't a choice unless you thought ahead to pack a lunch. There is a live band on board in the lounge, where you can stay until about 2 AM, but drinks are also expensive, and what do you do for the next 9 hours on board?
I think ferries run Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays, but like I said, check the archives, you will find more precise info. Good luck (check into AA flights, sometimes you can go for $79 US one way), e-mail me if you have more questions.

Z

zinnia

Trina, thanks so much for such insightful information. I guess I will pass on this Ferry trip, rather take a plane if I'm going to go thru so many hassles and be uncomfortable with my 2 children (10 & 2 yr. old). Would you happen to know when does AA offer good fares to Puerto Rico? I appreciate your feedback.

R

Ronald McIntosh

I believe there are several carriers offering RT to San Juan i.e. Iberia, Air Santo Domingo, etc. Good Luck