DR.. the new new top drug smuggling country.

steelmet

Jun 21, 2007
I went to the local store here this morning for a coffee and roll. On the front page of the local NNJ newspaper was a Customs agent with a dog. In the title was how the drug mule craze has gone wild. I just returned from DR 2 weeks ago and i was wondering why i got picked and had my stuff ripped thru. I am a government worker, to which after agent ran me thru the system, he knew. I didnt for the life of me wonder whats with the treatment. Well now i see why. It turns out that more people from DR are caught smuggling drugs into the system. One man was caught last year with over a kilo in his system and also hidden in his groin. Make a long story short, it is said that those coming into the 3 NJ/NY airports are being put thru more scrutiny. Boils down to the poor securtiy in the airports down there. Like the taxes getting there isnt crazy enough only to come home and be put thru that. LOL The link isnt up for the article yet. It is the herald news... as well as the bergan record. They are major papers here. Only 15 minutes from NY.. very good article, as well as telling me why i got treated like a criminal. LOL enjoy the day

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i read dominican papers daily and indeed, there are many noticias about drug mules being caught here in DR before boarding planes to europe/USA.

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
Just make the drugs legal, let the bankers get their coke in the local pub, and tax the profits. The 'war on drugs' has caused more misery and cost more than the damage the drugs themselves do.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I do not think anyone needs to feel they are being victimised when they are searched with their luggage , especially when they are coming from a country that has a drug trade problem .I am over 70 now and dress conservatively and I am occasionally stopped when I enter the USA . There are good machines and procedures in place at the Dominican airports and I have seen people stopped and searched but I do not know how thoroughly they look at the checked in luggage .
And fortunately there are no governments that support the legalisation of drugs , the main supporters of legalising of drugs are the pushers and the users