Dominican Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Anyone recommend a good Dominican Restaurant I can go for a nice lunch :) It's been a few years so not sure where to go now.
BTW I'll be in POP :)

Thanks,

Sonia :)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Dominicans love El Manguito. It is on the Carretera, after the Playa Dorada and before the Costa Dorada - on the same side of the road as the hotels. The is a flight of steps DOWN to the restaurant. There is a huge sign that includes a picture of a mango. However, the trees are in full leaf, and it is a bit difficult to see.

sjangir

Jun 16, 2009
Any Vegeterian Restaurants in Dominican Republic ???? specially in Santiago or Santo Domingo ????

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Caselita Vegetariano in Santiago
It is by the junction of Cuba and Restauracion.

Only problem is it's closed in the weekends.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm... manguito is popular but personally i never liked it. the food is just so so and service slow. then there is dominican food eaten by dominicans and dominican food eaten by gringos :)
there are plenty of "plato del dia" type of places serving fast dominican lunch of rice, beans and meat.
armando's has toned down and has a dominican buffet now. located just next to casa nelson, on the corner.
supermerkado tropical has own cafe and the food is good and cheap.
kilometro zero on luis ginebra has variety of foods, some dominican stuff included like mondodgo and excellent chuletas.
there is a lady selling empanadas, two corners away from la sirena, from the balcony of her house. nice stuff.
just off luis ginebra, close to the police there is a sandwich place, open in the evening and their food is good. prices are quite high but their 200 pesos supreme sandwich can feed two.
next door to our pharmacy there is a dude selling fried chicken. night only which is a bliss as you cannot see how black is the oil he uses :) but damn, pollo is fantastic! just the smell will make your mouth water.

and of course there is maimon and the fish. excellent food and low price. i like the place that is almost last on the feft (coming from POP towards santiago), just opposite from large plaza style bar. heck, most of those places are great, i guess.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
dv8 that's perfect and I would like to have real Dominican food :D I love love empanadas I will try to find that spot for sure!! Thanks so much! I like to eat the real food of the island anywhere I go :) It's been a while so I want to enjoy it!!! I'm super excited!!!!

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
If you love empanadas then you must go to Pizzata on the malecon. They open after 5pm, everyday except Tuesdays. Very very good empanadas. You have to wait a few minutes for your order because they make them fresh, but they're really good.
It's beside the little plaza thing that used to have The Bull Pen (now under a different name), It used to have that little Chinese food restaurant, but now in the plaza is a different sports type bar, Blue Room, and a hang out called Caribbean.
It's a big bright orange trailer type thing with Pizzata and a picture of a tomato on it on the malecon. You can't miss it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
malecon is good for many things, one of them little huts houses dona gloria burgers, mmmmm...
and there is a place close to mercado nuevo that sells morcilla con tostones. salmonella guaranteed but i like it :)
pollo place on calle beller, close to oficina de cedulacion: they have chicken with all possible sides (rice/beans, yuka, bananas, salad, tostones). and only about 100 pesos a plate. barato, barato!

Status
Not open for further replies.