Conch shells

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase 10-16 conch shells in the bavaro/el cortecito area without buying them at a souvenir shop? I have tried a couple restaurants but they have been unreliable.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
You can buy them right along the beach, there is usally a vendor that carries a large bag full of them and other shells along the beach, he sometimes carries a "Fishing Spear" too. At least once daily he passed by the resorts in the Bavaro/El Cortecito area....

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
You can buy them right along the beach, there is usally a vendor that carries a large bag full of them and other shells along the beach, he sometimes carries a "Fishing Spear" too. At least once daily he passed by the resorts in the Bavaro/El Cortecito area....
Thanks for the response, I have already found some really nice ones but I will still need more in the future. I will have to keep my eyes open for such a person, do you know how much he charges for a nice big clean conch shell? One souvenir shop tried telling "for you my friend great deal, only 1000 pesos" I laughed and walked away. The cheapest I have found nice ones is 300 pesos each.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
You need to barter with them, they actually like this, and it really depends on how business is for them on any given day, however we have purchased them anywhere between 150-300 pesos...

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I was under the impression that fishermen already fish for them for the meat. I am not trying to export them or take them out of the country with me.

Apparently they are over fishing them....we were spanked by yanadu...I guess rightfully so after reading the link:)

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I was under the impression that fishermen already fish for them for the meat. I am not trying to export them or take them out of the country with me.
Yes, but if fishermen get so much for the meat and even more for the shell they hunt harder.
Leave well alone.
If you have one make a plaster cast and make faux shells.......
Yanandu

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
Yes, but if fishermen get so much for the meat and even more for the shell they hunt harder.
Leave well alone.
If you have one make a plaster cast and make faux shells.......
Yanandu
Understood and yes you learn something new everyday.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
lambi is the same as conch and is seen for a sale to eat all over the Dominican Republic.

the old shells are taken over by hermit crabs , but I dont expect you want thousands of them lol

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Yes, I don't eat lambi.
It has got more scarce over the years.
Prawns seem to be sustainable and there is some farming.
Yanandu

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
they are not classified as endangered, but they are protected. (says that in the article) The meat and shells are not permitted to be exported COMMERCIALLY. buying a shell as a souvenir is probably fine. the danger to the species was commercial overfishing.

:cry:My apoligies, I had no idea they were endangered, I will encourage others NOT to buy them on the beach...Like I said in the past you learn something new everyday on DR1....thanks for the link yanandu

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
they are not classified as endangered, but they are protected. (says that in the article) The meat and shells are not permitted to be exported COMMERCIALLY. buying a shell as a souvenir is probably fine. the danger to the species was commercial overfishing.

Thanks for the clarification CaptnGlen...still nonetheless protected is protected for a reason...as to not encourage sale, if you purchase they will still harvest and the end result may lead to endangered if not extinct...for every action there is a reaction...lets encourage not purchasing them and educate tourists and the like to protect our oceans creatures...