Haiti's new president in DC.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
This from a CNN article today,

Quote - As a first step, Martelly proposed setting up an e-governance system that would enable ordinary Haitians to access information on a website and even post complaints or expose fraud anonymously.

How much access to the internet do ordinary Haitians have ?
is this something readily available through out the country at this time ?, something that could be installed quickly for the country ?.

I am happy that at least there is someone who will now take the helm and can only hope and pray that it brings some lite !.
lt

Haiti's new leader makes rounds in Washington, vows transparency - CNN.com

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
Although there are many who do not have internet access, there are also many that do. You can find makeshift internet cafes just about anywhere, including inside the mazes of the tent cities as well as throughout the provinces.

I think that Mr. Martelly's motivation in making this gesture is to show that he is ready to provide transparency, at least more than has been offered in the past, as well as making the Haitian State and it's system more accessible to the general population. It has for years, been a long and painful process to procure anything from government offices in Haiti and this was made even more difficult after the earthquake. The new president has also made a motion to make obtaining birth certificates an easier process as well. Though these might appear to be "baby steps", it does perhaps create some hope for the future.

Fingers crossed...

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Well, to say the least that pretty much answers my question. Thank you