Looking to Hire Expats in Sosua and Cabarete area

Status
Not open for further replies.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
We are in the process of moving our internet retail business to Cabarete/Sosua area. We took out a classified add on DR1 for customer service employees and were fortunate enough to find and hire three great expats in the Sosua area who now work for us remotely full time. I have recently posted a second ad and the response has been slow compared to the first. We need a couple more good people. This site has been great, but can anyone suggest an additional way that we get word out to the American, Canadian, British expat community that we have jobs and employment available in the DR working for a reliable American company?

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
I am not sure of how better to adverstise, but I am interested in the above position. Please send me a PM as to where I can email my resume. Thanks

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Something I'm interested in is why people need to be based in a certain area if working from a virtual station, surely this would be unimportant and the whole point of it?
Apart from training I am unsure of the reasons, but have noticed a few ads over the last couple of years requiring virtual stations but in a certain area, what gives?

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
Something I'm interested in is why people need to be based in a certain area if working from a virtual station, surely this would be unimportant and the whole point of it?
Apart from training I am unsure of the reasons, but have noticed a few ads over the last couple of years requiring virtual stations but in a certain area, what gives?

We like to be close to our employees. We get together for training, for lunch and for celebrations. It's important for everyone to know eachother in our opinion.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Having people work from home but close to a specific location is not unusual and is for exactly the reasons posted plus the lowering of expenses for the owners. If they work from home then you don't need an office or overhead, simply get together once in a while for a breakfast or lunch meeting and you are good to go. Many people like to work from home!

My question is how can you advertise you want to hire expats to work for an American company? You are violating the labor code here and you need to advertise and hire Dominicans! And the wages you are offering - they are appropriate for locals.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You had indeed better bone up, i.e. become more "enlightened", on the labor laws in the DR or you will be sorry.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for the labour law advice. I may, from America hire contract labour anywhere in the world. Ours is primarily a virtual company and all wages are paid in U.S. dollars from the U.S. I have warehouse in Kansas, storefront in New Hampshire, contractors in India and contractors in the DR. Given that there is no physical office location in the DR, I believe I am well within legal limits. I have researched this pretty thoroughly, but again really appreciate the advice and you looking out for me.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
BTW: didn't mean to imply in any way that I was "Enlightened" it is simply the name of our company which sells religious items, "Enlightened Expressions"

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Thanks for the labour law advice. I may, from America hire contract labour anywhere in the world. Ours is primarily a virtual company and all wages are paid in U.S. dollars from the U.S. I have warehouse in Kansas, storefront in New Hampshire, contractors in India and contractors in the DR. Given that there is no physical office location in the DR, I believe I am well within legal limits. I have researched this pretty thoroughly, but again really appreciate the advice and you looking out for me.
Many a foreigner has come to find they are wrong. Dominican labor laws are territorial, they cover anybody (legal or illegal) working in the DR. All you need is a disgruntled or fired employee to report your presence to the Labor Board and your lack of providing required benefits, and the fact that you met with these employees in the DR, you propbably will have an Impedimento de Salida issued which will prevent you leaving the DR until your legal obligations are addressed. So if you plan to continue this operation, don't step foot in the DR.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
To start, yes. I already have three Expats in DR working at that rate and happy to be doing so. I understand many may have greater needs, but for some this works and is a good opportunity to derive income and still be in the DR.

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
And people wonder why the U.S. economy is going to sh%t and things aren't improving in places like the DR.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
Yes, we are the cause of the golbal financial collapse. Don't be silly. It's an offer of employment to those who want it an not forced on anyone. We are good people providing for our family of 8 kids and offering opportunity where little exists. How many people are you employing? How many jobs have you created?

Honestly, we're just doing the best we can here. Lighten up.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
To start, yes. I already have three Expats in DR working at that rate and happy to be doing so. I understand many may have greater needs, but for some this works and is a good opportunity to derive income and still be in the DR.
Remember, benefits under Dominican labor law amount to between 30-40%. You may think you are getting away with a flat $3.00/hr. Don't count on it. When they get finished calculating OT/vacation/holidays/Social Security/liquidation/etc., you may wish you paid it upfront. BTW, the excuse that you have no presence in the DR won't fly very far. All your employees have to do is produce a copy of your posts and ads to the Labor Board. They love to hang foreigners for every cent they can. Remember, the Dominican Labor Board operates under the theory that unless the employer has undisputable evidence to the contrary, the employee wins all claims. All the employee has to do is show he conducted business with you, by way of your post that you meet with him in the DR, to win his case. Do a search of DR! and read all the horror stories posted concerning dealing with the Labor Board.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
Thank you for the advice. I will have Domincan attorney sort all this out in short order. I appreciate your concern.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
This is good backgroud reading: http://dr1.com/legal/business/Labor_Law.pdf

In particular note:
  • As a general rule, any and all relationships in which one person obliges him or herself to provide any form of service to another, in exchange for remuneration and under the direction and/or supervision of the latter, are considered to be employment contracts and subject to the provisions of the Labor Code (Arts. 1 and 2).
  • Any work carried out by a foreigner on Dominican soil is subject to the provisions of the Labor Code since Dominican labor laws are territorial in nature (Principle V of the Labor Code).

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
May I ask what if any impact operation performed from within the Free Zone would have on your assessment?

Can one just a few thousand feet of space their?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
May I ask what if any impact operation performed from within the Free Zone would have on your assessment?

Can one just a few thousand feet of space their?

I suggest you write your questions in a thread started in the legal section of the board. In this way you will get replies from one of the top lawyers in the country, Fabio Guzman.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
To get the benefits of the ZOna Franca you must be a registered zona franca company and you still must operate within the labor code. You cannot get away from this law with what you are offering. There are hundreds and hundreds of qualified Dominicans to do this type of work.

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Interested in a position

I am a ex pat living in Puerto Plata please send me more information on this job offer I will send my personal info.

Status
Not open for further replies.