what to do after being deportated problem?

grey

Apr 23, 2011
what are the criteria that must be met/follow after getting deported back to the Dominican republic for fraud? is there anyway to get forgiveness for their actions? will being deported effect you in becoming a citizen on other different countries.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
if it was a felony committed in the US then I believe it's at least 10 years (possibly longer - as in never).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know someone very well who was arrested in NY for drug conspiracy back in the early 90s, went to US federal prison, and after his sentence was completed he was deported back to DR. He just walked off the plane and got on with his life. Well, kind of. If I remember correctly, there was a 5 year time frame before he could apply for a US visa [he had a green card, was married to a US citizen but never bothered to get his own US citizenship, which would have eliminated the deportation].

It doesn't appear the Dominican police or government treat him any differently than other Dominicans.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know someone very well who was arrested in NY for drug conspiracy back in the early 90s, went to US federal prison, and after his sentence was completed he was deported back to DR. He just walked off the plane and got on with his life. Well, kind of. If I remember correctly, there was a 5 year time frame before he could apply for a US visa [he had a green card, was married to a US citizen but never bothered to get his own US citizenship, which would have eliminated the deportation].

It doesn't appear the Dominican police or government treat him any differently than other Dominicans.

AE
I have a fine Part Time worker with a similar history: young kid in the US legally, got into the petty drug culture as a teenager, went to prison for a year, came out and worked for the NYC Parks Dept., got deported in a post 9/11 sweep. He's been in the DR for 7 years and has led a model life here. He has an appointment with the US Consul in June to ask for a reinstatement of his visa. We'll see what happens.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Your options are either go back to the US illegally which I don't recommend as if you're arrested for any little thing you'll be thrown in jail for at least 4 years and deported back afterwards or do what a lot of other Dominicans in your position are doing and that is get a visa to Spain or some other place in Europe. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that you'll get pardoned by the US and given another visa.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

AE

Are you absolutly sure about it ??????????? I think the process of deportation will only take more time cause the US will have to proceed by taking away his citizenship first.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are you absolutly sure about it ??????????? I think the process of deportation will only take more time cause the US will have to proceed by taking away his citizenship first.

I may be wrong, but if you are already a citizen I don't believe your citizenship can be taken away from you; you have to give it up.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I may be wrong, but if you are already a citizen I don't believe your citizenship can be taken away from you; you have to give it up.

You are 100% right Bob. The only way that your citizenship can be revoked is if you lie on your citizenship application. The only people that I have seen their USA citizenship revoked by the USA government are those who used to belong to the Nazi Party in Germany.

The USA citizenship application ask you if you had ever belong to the Germany Nazi Party during WW11.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
That's why it is recommended that parents become citizen while their kids, not born in the USA, are still minors to shield them from deportation in case they do something crazy during their teenage years. Children younger than 18 automatically becomes citizen once their parents become citizen.

There have been cases where kids taken to the USA as babies, and have never been back to their native countries, have been deported for something that they had done during their teenage years, because their parents didn't bother to become citizen, and they didn't bother either when they become adults.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

He didn't have US citizenship, only a green card/permanent residency, had lived and worked in NY about 15 years. His wife and 2 sons were US citizens, he was entitled to citizenship but just never bothered. All they took away from him was his green card.

AE
....and PS, I'm a she, not a he :classic:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
He didn't have US citizenship, only a green card/permanent residency, had lived and worked in NY about 15 years. His wife and 2 sons were US citizens, he was entitled to citizenship but just never bothered. All they took away from him was his green card.

AE
....and PS, I'm a she, not a he :classic:

This is where the majority of the call center industry come from. The majority of these deportees came to the US as children with their parents with green cards. The parents never had the money or need to become citizens. The kids committed crimes (usually drug related) and were offered a choice. Plead guilty and get a minimal prison term (usually time already served) and be deported, or take it to court, get convicted and then get a 5+ year sentence and then be deported. Most choose to go. The US Marshall's Service has a Con-Air plane land at SDQ almost every Thursday with 100-200 deportees. They have no criminal history in the DR so the authorities process them, give them a cedula, and turn them out to the public. The call center industry benefits by a steady source of English speakers and the deportees benefit from an available source of income. The shame of it is that for not converting their green cards to citizenships, they are seperated from their parents, siblings and children for what is usually a relatively low level crime. Even though a felony, anybody else would get a slap on the wrist for a first offense.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Should be...but that's another thread :)

SHALENA
I guess to don't believe the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. All citizens are to be treated equally. Unless of course you to volunteer to give up your citizenship if you were to be convicted of a felony also.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I guess to don't believe the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. All citizens are to be treated equally. Unless of course you to volunteer to give up your citizenship if you were to be convicted of a felony also.

You said it VOLUNTEER because ''born American American dies'' you cannot be forced to give up. Naturalization is not a right but a privilege