help

Status
Not open for further replies.

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
Hey! .... I need help, I will be going to the bluebay villas doradas resort in late May and I need to make some phone calls to a few family members in Salcedo,Dominican Republic and a few phone calls back home in the U.S.
My question is ...how do I go about doing this phone calls from the resort without being charge what seems to be a million dollars from the resort? ....I live in the U.S state of NJ and they sell international calling cards which I could use in DR, but I will still need to use the phone in the room at my resort...:ermm: thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Either bring a cell phone with you [if it's locked you can have it unlocked for a few bucks] or buy a cheap one there. Buy a phone card at the same place. Most carriers charge same for in-and-out-of country calls.

AE

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There should be a calling center in the Plaza where you can call with calling cards (try the Western Union place). Alternatively, you can pick up a super-cheap cell phone for around $500 RD and load cards into that.

latinosecreto

Apr 12, 2011
You might think about using Skype, assuming you?re going to have a laptop with you. I?ve lived in South America for most of the last year, and Skype was a great alternative for me, and for people back in the US who wanted to call me. You have to be at your computer, of course, to make or receive calls (you also can use voice mail and call forwarding), but it?s cheap, and you can have a US number for people in the States to call. It worked great for me, and avoided the hassle of trying to deal with calling cards, and chips, and all that stuff. You can use it from anywhere you happen to be that you have an internet connection. Since I have moved around several times, it has been especially convenient. I?m ready to go from any location, and the number people in the US call is always the same. An inexpensive set of headphones helps a lot.

Might not be what you?re looking for, but it has worked well for me.

Hey! .... I need help, I will be going to the bluebay villas doradas resort in late May and I need to make some phone calls to a few family members in Salcedo,Dominican Republic and a few phone calls back home in the U.S.
My question is ...how do I go about doing this phone calls from the resort without being charge what seems to be a million dollars from the resort? ....I live in the U.S state of NJ and they sell international calling cards which I could use in DR, but I will still need to use the phone in the room at my resort...:ermm: thanks

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The easiest is to buy a cheap phone from Orange or Claro when you get here and make all your calls with it. Calls to the US are same price as local calls and you are only charged for outgoing calls. Skype is fine for US calls if you live here, but I don't think you want to bother with that. With cell phone, you can make and receive calls wherever you are at any time of the day or night.

Status
Not open for further replies.