Punta Cana-La Romana tour

herre

Dec 28, 2010
Good mornning guys. I'm planning to be in Punta Cana by the end of may and wou\ld like to go to La romana to know the area. Will you recomend renting a car or taking a tour?. Thanks for yuor advice.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Good mornning guys. I'm planning to be in Punta Cana by the end of may and wou\ld like to go to La romana to know the area. Will you recomend renting a car or taking a tour?. Thanks for yuor advice.

We don't have a specific tour to La Romana but what specifically would you like to see? I wouldn't consider La Romana a big tourist attraction although there are several spots of interest like the Tabacalera de Garcia cigar factory tour and a visit to Altos de Chavon.

If you are set on seeing La Romana, I would personally suggest renting a vehicle.

herre

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I'm been in Punta Cana 6 times and would like to see the real life of the country side. I'm from the east side of Cuba (Oriente) and both ****ries are very similar , we even speak almost the same way and eat the same type of food. i want to see the sugar cane fields and what we call the guajiro side of the country.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you choose to drive, you could take the alternative route to La Romana via Higuey, El Seibo and Guaymate - for a real feeling of getting off the beaten track - and return via the main road.

There is a detour before Higuey that takes you through the cane fields. You turn right at Parada El Chevere by the rail crossing. The detour rejoins the Higuey-Punta Cana road - more precise directions and tips are in this thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-directions/69167-sugar-cane-road-detour.html

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
We do have a tour that goes to the sugarcane fields where you will visit a local school, fruit and sugar plantations, as well as having lunch at a typical ranch. It is very much off the beaten track. You can see more info here: Tours

If you want to go more solo, renting a car would be your best option. Chiri had some good suggestions or you could take a drive to Hato Mayor (very Dominican town with the popular Cueva Fun-Fun, Playa Juanillo in south Punta Cana (one of the top beaches on the east coast and very tranquil), or take a longer drive to Miches and the amazing Playa Esmeralda.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want to drive to Miches you had better rent a tank. Road is unbelievably bad in parts. Do not recommend.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
If you want to drive to Miches you had better rent a tank. Road is unbelievably bad in parts. Do not recommend.

I would not recommend a tank, just a vehicle with clearance. To drive to Miches you have to take it slow because of good stretches of road that surprise you with a hole. The countryside scenery is worth it. Total driving time is 3 hours from Bavaro to the beach at Esmeralda or Miches.