Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing for a living

Hello
    I am moving to the DR for 18 months maybe 2
    years.
    Iam comming to grow a buisness that has been in existence for a long time
    and part of my family for years.
    My husband and I have givin alot of thought about how best to make this move.
    We has decided to have my husband leave his work in Canada and find work
    in the Dominican Republic.
    Here in Canada he has been at commercial fishing since he was a boy.
    We have been trying to find out who to talk to about the fishing /lobster biz in
    DR
    Can anybody tell us where to turn.
    He would like to work on a big boat and do commercial fishing .
    Does that industry exsist in the DR.
    Please we will take any information and go with it.
    THANKS
    MRS SALTY DOG

2. Dislikes MikeFisher disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

luckily that big time commercial fishing on big boats taking out everythong of the water available is Not Existent here in the DR, the american and Canadian commercials/longliners etc are not even allowed to fish our waters, and we fight that rightb to keep itbthat way with the Guns in hand.
    if Your Husband wanna hire on a Fishing Boat down here he should expect a salary of around 300-500 bucks per month as the max, on the smaller local vessels the guys make much less.
    Cabadian Family Biz is Not Dominican Biz.

good luck

Mike
    Mike

www.MikeFisherPuntaCana.com
    [email protected]
    Punta Cana/Cap Cana/Dominican Republic
    Mike Fisher Facebook Group on

Post Thanks / Like

One of the reasons that most commercial fishing is done in the North or South is because that is where there are fish. Tropical waters do not have enough fish to support intensive commercial fishing. That is just a fact of life.

I would not even think of trying to fish for a living. Lobsters? Yeah, maybe 40 years ago! There are no lobsters now! (An exageration, but almost--unfortunately--true).

Think farming (greenhouses and fruits like passion fruit and lemons/limes), bee-keeping...something that has a broad=-based demand...fishing is a really really tough existance here...

HB

5. Likes Squat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I think some commercial fishing takes place out of Puerto Plata. DR fishing boats get caught now and then illegally fishing in Bahamian waters. With the right permits, partners, vessel and commercial markets, it may be doable

7. 04-27-2011 12:22 AM
    This post has been down-ranked. Click "View Post" to view it.

8. Dislikes fidget, ElvisNYC, ExtremeR, Squat, bri777 and 5 others disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fabricbizzz View Post
    We have been trying to find out who to talk to about the fishing /lobster biz in
    DR
    Can anybody tell us where to turn.
    He would like to work on a big boat and do commercial fishing .
    Does that industry exsist in the DR.
    Please we will take any information and go with it.
    THANKS
    MRS SALTY DOG
    The responses were the information you wanted.. Go with it !

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Mike was just stating that the waters around the DR are a fragile ecosystem and that there are fishermen that will go to the necessary lengths to protect this part of the water around the DR from anyone that tries to hurt it - I don't believe it was meant as a personal challenge to you.

There is no need to have reacted to so strongly, hurling around insults and venom. It is also a bit unrealistic to come back with the statement that you will come and make so much money in a month when you have no idea of markets or the amounts or types of fish available. Alienating people on this board that might be useful contacts with business connections that could help you is shortsighted and not helpful to your goal of having a successful time living in the DR for a relatively short period of time. You only want to stay for a max of two years - that isn't much time to make the proper connections and relationships so you are only shooting yourself in the foot by being so insulting.

I realize your family is Dominican but it seems like you have spent quite a bit of time in Canada. If this is true please keep in mind that you will be a foreigner there in the DR when you return no matter what your ancestory if you have lived for an extended time elsewhere. I have faced this fact personally after spending my first 29 years living in the States I have lived abroad since (including 9 years in the DR) and even when I go back to visit the States I no longer am completely "American" and there are problems that I no longer react to from a 100% American cultural view which can drive me, my family, and others a bit batty. Don't get confused and think that just because your family is Dominican you are culturaly 100% Domincan as well if you have been away in another country.

Relax and enjoy the time you have to experience the joys of living somewhere new.
    Last edited by expatsooner; 04-27-2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: typing mistakes

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously you are from here, so why ask questions

YOU KNOW EVERYTHING already
    Manu

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

great response, expatsooner. let him come down here, and see how great he will do. there are guys in these fishing villages who have been squeezing out a precarious living for decades. they have beeen apprehended and jailed in places like the Bahamas and Jamaica, and have met hardships too numerous to mention. if this guy believes that he can just arrive on the scene and get right into the mix, leave him alone to his delusions. he will soon find out what real life in a third world country is.

13. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the problem. The DR is volcanic. There is no continental shelf like the US and Can. The island drops off fast so there is no large area for fish life on the bottom. What there was has been quickly decimated by local divers. The groupers, snapper and lobsters have been taken. That leaves the pelagics (free top swimming fish). There is not enough of these to make a living unless your are in the charter business which involves catching tourists instead of fish. The other problem is that the locals will strongly resent any outsiders taking "their" fish. The other fishery involves poaching the Bahamas which is very popular but dangerous. The Bahamas has a ton of fish still. Other possibility is to go into biz with a Bahamian partner which involves bribery of officials on a yearly basis. Finally it appears that the locals do as they please - fish the reserves, take what they want, etc. If you are seen as a local and accepted you will be able to fish but you will not make much money-it will be a subsistence living. Good luck in whaever you decide.

15. Likes NY-DR Commuter, gmiller261, greydread liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast