Scotia Bank -- Bank of America

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Since friday we have had a big problem getting cash out of ATMs with the BofA card. Scotia or others. One day Scotia only gave 5000rd; other days a max of 10000rd. This using several different Scotia branches. Other banks a max of 10000rd if we were lucky. I'm assuming this is related to semana santa and not being an actual customer of the banks where the card was used. Anyone else have these problems?

vittorio

Apr 27, 2011
I don't know for sure, but I believe that the differences in the amounts that you can take out depend on the ATM/Branch you are using since the limits on BOFA debit cards is $500 per day. Did you try calling bofa or talking to somebody at the Scotia branch?

My suggestion for you is to use checks instead of your bofa debit card at an ATM. It seems from your case that your family deposits money into your debit account in the US and then you withdraw it at ATMs in DR, and by doing so you get fees charged every time you take out cash. If you wrote yourself checks from that checking account, you could deposit them into your own checking account at a branch in DR for what may be a lower fee/or no fee and no limits on how much cash you are getting since you will be depositing checks into the DR account and then withdrawing cash with your DR account debit card. Find out and let me if this works for you.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Banks

If you have a BofA account in the US there are no fees for ATM withdrawals at local Scotia banks. Contact BofA in the US if you need your withdrawal limit bumped up, but don't count on more than about 6,000 pesos daily. You can cash US checks at Rusa Cambio and some other currency exchange places especially if you have a working relationship with them previously. Don't bounce a check, it'll cost you.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I don't know for sure, but I believe that the differences in the amounts that you can take out depend on the ATM/Branch you are using since the limits on BOFA debit cards is $500 per day. Did you try calling bofa or talking to somebody at the Scotia branch?

My suggestion for you is to use checks instead of your bofa debit card at an ATM. It seems from your case that your family deposits money into your debit account in the US and then you withdraw it at ATMs in DR, and by doing so you get fees charged every time you take out cash. If you wrote yourself checks from that checking account, you could deposit them into your own checking account at a branch in DR for what may be a lower fee/or no fee and no limits on how much cash you are getting since you will be depositing checks into the DR account and then withdrawing cash with your DR account debit card. Find out and let me if this works for you.
Don't follow what you are saying. You can, online change your limits for point of sale or ATM withdrawals. BofA will let you change your ATM limit per day to $1,500.00. Beyond that you need to call.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
If you have a BofA account in the US there are no fees for ATM withdrawals at local Scotia banks. Contact BofA in the US if you need your withdrawal limit bumped up, but don't count on more than about 6,000 pesos daily. You can cash US checks at Rusa Cambio and some other currency exchange places especially if you have a working relationship with them previously. Don't bounce a check, it'll cost you.
You can bump yourself up to 50,000rd--55,000rd per day on line. Just scroll down the left hand colum to other services and adjust your limits for point of sale purchases or ATM withdrawals. While there are no fees at Scotia bank; the new deal for withdrawls in the DR limit you to 10,000rd per shot and are reflected in your change rate. Once you change your amount on line, feel free to hit it up to 5 times at 10,000rd a time.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
This is not unusual in third world country's. The withdrawall limit is very often based on the amount of funds available iin that particular bank. When cash is short, cards from other banks and other country's are limited to reserve more cash for the banks clients. For example we have a Scotia bank account in the DR but currently live in BsAs. I don't even bother with the card ny more. We only use it in the DR.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
The problem as of this afternoon has been cleared up. Looks like pesos are flowing again.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

the only problem with this is that DR banks hold international checks for up to 90 days.. even though the check may clear the home bank in a week.

The OP may be able to get introduced to a Casa de Cambio which will change international checks on the spot.