*** User Status Changes & New Shiny Stuff ***

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We will be introducing a new user status structure this week.
The naming will be based on post count.

Why are we doing this?

We will be offering different features and access based on post count,
so we needed to change the system we have had in place since 2000.

Newbie: 0 - 10 posts
Regular: 11 - 499
Bronze: 500 - 1,999
Silver: 2,000 - 4,999
Gold: 5,000 - to 9,999
Platinum: 10,000+

The post spread is as follows:

Regular to Bronze: 500
Bronze to Silver: 1,500
Silver to Gold: 3,000
Silver to Platinum: 5,000

I will post in this thread as we bring the other features etc online.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
So, users are recognized/status upgraded for the quantity of posts, not necessarily the quality of their posts. I still think there should be recognition for saying nothing at times.

Perhaps this was one of those times saying nothing would've been appropriate, but I need to post more to get that Platinum status :smoke:

Feb 7, 2007
So lots of users posting useful and valuable information will now get downgraded. First, reputation points are taken away. Second the statuses are downgraded. I see the change has been implemented already. I am starting NOT to like the recent changes....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A rose by any other name, and all that.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not here to see how many points I can get or to 'up my # of posts total'.

Change can be good, let's wait until Robert implements everything before we start complaining.

AE

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
Quality vs quantity. Personality I could not care less about these little status indicators - I left the infant classes of primary school behind many years ago. I have a great affection for a few people in the Dominican Republic and like to know what is going on. Is the number of posts important because the more readers and contributors there are the greater the advertising revenue?

Feb 7, 2007
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not here to see how many points I can get or to 'up my # of posts total'.

Neither am I. I do not post just "to post". But when I do get "likes" (or previously reputation points), it feels good. It makes you feel appreciated and rewarded for your contributions. So speaking in general terms, when you already "have" something, it doesn't feel good when it's taken away from you.

I give you another example: if you travel a lot by air, you get frequent flier miles. People will usually not go booking flights like crazy and travel "just because" in order to rack up more miles. But when the time comes that they [need to] fly, they want to get their miles credited. When their account balance grows, they feel good. They feel "important" to the airline and rewarded for their loyalty (while the real truth is quite far from that, they are a drop in a bucket for the corporation) - it's the ego thing. Then when the airline significantly changes the "rules of the game", e.g. status levels, award miles required, etc., people feel "cheated". Psychology 101.

Btw - message board, airlines, wholeselling, any business you can think of, and even events occurring in daily lives, goes by the 80/20 rule. 20% of customers (in this case posters) make up 80% of business (in this case posts) - Pareto principle - I would even say 90/10.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So lots of users posting useful and valuable information will now get downgraded. First, reputation points are taken away. Second the statuses are downgraded. I see the change has been implemented already. I am starting NOT to like the recent changes....

The reputation system became meaningless because some posters
took it upon themselves to try and inflate their own status by trading points.
So we needed a change and I think the "Likes" system is better and more open.
If it turns out not to be the case, then that will get cut as well.
The Pareto principle applies here as well, 90% of the posters are great, the remaining 10% are idiots.

The status system was 1st implemented 11 years ago, lots of things have changed since 2000.
In order for us to keep progressing, it needed to be changed, so it was changed.
Status changes have been applied to everyone, nobody has been singled out for downgrades or upgrades.

At the end of the day, we are working to make things better and rewarding those posters
that make a positive contribution to the community. These rewards will no longer just be
points or name tags, they will be features, benefits, services and products :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A rose by any other name, and all that.

Change can be good, let's wait until Robert implements everything before we start complaining.

AE
Totally agree. I'm unconcerned about popularity. Substance trumps style every day.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
When you work out a way to objectively measure the substance of a post, let me know.
It's like determining quality or beauty: difficult to asses qualitatively, but you know it when you see it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's like determining quality or beauty: difficult to asses qualitatively, but you know it when you see it.

That's why we have a "Like" and "Dislike" button. It allows individuels to assess the quality of post based on their own value criteria :)

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Robert , Look at mike Fishers like/dislike on 26th April. He posted many dislikes which where OTT in my opinion
olly

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert , Look at mike Fishers like/dislike on 26th April. He posted many dislikes which where OTT in my opinion
olly

I suggest you send him a PM and ask why. I haven't heard anyone else moaning about him.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
bI still think there needs to be some kind of Forum status thingy, from 'Tigre' to 'Don' to 'God like' Dr1 status kinda doodar, just makes it a bit more interesting to see who's being interesting lately and what people are making of our own input, helps people form a better way of contributing.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
bI still think there needs to be some kind of Forum status thingy, from 'Tigre' to 'Don' to 'God like' Dr1 status kinda doodar, just makes it a bit more interesting to see who's being interesting lately and what people are making of our own input, helps people form a better way of contributing.
Dibs on "Board Simpleton" :cheeky:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

This is why we have a simple to understand status name (Newbie, Regular, Bronze, Gold and Platinum) combined with Likes/Dislikes.

Thanks / Like Statistics - DR1 Dominican Republic Forums