Questions about renting a car

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
Hello

I'm comming to Punta Cana at the end of May and I'm planning to rent a car for about 20 days, so I have few questions:
1. International rental companies requires me to have driver's licence issued 2 years ago or more, but mine license was issued in 2011. Is this a problem? Would rental companies look at my driver's licence? Is there a way to rent a car for me? (I have driving experience in 1 million city with some agressive traffic)

2. Prices of international rental companies seems to be too high compared to buying old used car. It is up to $45/day for basic models, that is $900 for 20 days, and I have seen old cars for sale priced near to $1200. So, is there a way to safely rent a car with insurances (incl. LDW/CDW, theft cover), not new, but in good condition (breaks, signals, etc.) and with a lower price?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You can easily walk into any car rental place here and walk out with a car. You would be stupid to do so if you are not covered for an accident though (if your license means squat). Think worst case scenario and expect nothing less. Get complete OTT cover, I recently rented a car and paid $100 per day, more for the insurance than I paid for the car.
I used to be a bit daring, or naive and drive with no insurance and infact no legal license, but wasn't aware at the time. I've now seen so much and heard so many nightmare stories I won't touch a rental unless they cover me for anything and everything.

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
I understand that I need insurance/coverage.
I just want to know if there a way to rent a car from local (or international) rental firms for about $20-30/day with full valid insurance/coverage?
I'm not seeking for a new car, but only for car in good condition.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
That is the going rate in the PUJ area, I know a couple that rented a Kia for three weeks with full insurance coverage and it cost them $1,500.00...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Like I said, they will rent you the car, but how strong the cover is if some companies need your license to be over 2 years issued then it might be hit and miss. I wouldn't go near a local company expecting the coverage the promise. I'd say ALWAYs use a well known and recognised company over here. If you read the small print on some of the policies offered, the actual insurance they state is offered actually isn't. Take a look at THRIFTY for instance, they are well known company. Read the insurance they state they offer and then read the small print and it doesn't actually cover what it does for the same policy in the US.
Be careful is all I can say.
Your price for full valid coverage is low IMO.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We rent from Europcar in Punta Cana, for up to 3 weeks with insurance, but, Its much cheaper online ahead
than renting when you get there, well alot actually. We will be buying a car soon but we have a cedula so getting proper insurance etc
is not a problem.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Be very careful with Europcar, they try and add on all kinds of things to "pad" the bill. But the advice to rent online will save
you a lot of money here.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I use Dollar.. good cars, great service, If you use the American Express card, and you have the car rental insurance option, then you pay only $25 for the insurance on the CAR... then you have about $5--a day for the liablility, There may be other credit cards which have this option.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There are no rentals that will cost you $20-30 per day including Insurance. You Can get rental prices for around $30 per day but the Insurance will cost an additional $25-35 per day. Alamo does not have an office at Punta Cana and yes using your American Express card gives you good back up protection on the insurance. If you are staying in PC you may thing twice about having a car as going to and from the airport are the only certain trips and a Taxi is less money than a day's car rental. If you intend to leave the Republic of Punta Cana and go visit the Dominican Republic to La Romana or Santo Domingo or elsewhere then a car is helpful. Just keep in mind that the drivers are loco and you must avoid accidents as they are a huge hassle in the D.R. Gas is now about $5.50 USD per gallon so I'm to the point of taking Taxis and leaving the driving to them. I paid $400 for the rental and Insurance plus another $125 in gas last week and it's not worth it. Next month I'm going to stay local and just take Taxis, publicos and Motos.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I agree that he won't get a car with credible insurance for that kind of money, as I said, good insurance cover will cost you more than the car. BUT I absolutely disagree with the thought a car is not helpful in the area, infact I would say that this area is absolutely dealthly boring without a car and taxis are double the price of anywhere else in the country.

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
Punta Cana is just my entry point. I'm going to be in Santo Domingo for few days and then go to see North Coast

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you do rent make sure the insurance includes "casa de conductor". This means if you are in an accident and someone is injured you will be shipped to a hotel rather then Jail till things are sorted out, and depending on timing it can be a day or two.

Bob K

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
Alamo

There is an Alamo office on the old road that goes from the airport along in front of the resorts just before the left turn to Friusa. I have used both Alamo and Europacar and found that the latter will actually let you barter a bit on price oand or car level. I always book the small car because they never have them and I get the lancer/ tiila sized car anyways. When you bring a car back make sure they know you are not going to take any **** and stop at the local car wash and spend a few pesos so they have no complaints. That way you can grab a beer for the ride to the airport.

Feb 7, 2007
I just want to know if there a way to rent a car from local (or international) rental firms for about $20-30/day with full valid insurance/coverage?

Sorry to sound harsh, but you are sounding a completely newbie to this country, unaware of the local conditions and a bit naive, in Punta Cana for 20 dollars you will not even get a cab ride, less so a rental car, and even less so with full insurance coverage. International or local, does not matter, many times "local" in tourist areas is more expensive than "international". Anyway I would not call them "international" because they are all locally-owned and they only bought franchise rights to a name, the "home office" will not even vouch for the local outfits here or deal in anything, and your local office status does not mean anything here - the point is instead of "international" vs "local" it's better to say "local big companies" vs "local tiguere companies".

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Punta Cana is just my entry point. I'm going to be in Santo Domingo for few days and then go to see North Coast

You need to know if you can return the car elsewhere, and is there a charge for doing so? Unless you are coming back
to Bavaro.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
There is always a charge of around $150us for dropping cars off elsewhere, you'll prbably find acceptances to this somewhere but I've never come across a freeby on this .

Feb 7, 2007
@Anastacio - this is not the US where they have ample lots in cars in cities sometimes 50 miles away and everything is run by one big corporation. Imagine Motor Plan, one of the biggest rental outlets on the Island (Part of Grupo Ambar - aka Santo Domingo Motors and holders of Alamo/National franchise in the country), let's say they have 60 vehicles dedicated to renting. They have 20 in SD and 20 in Punta Cana (just for sake of numbers). If you take vehicle from PUJ to SD and drop it off there, there is very little chance that somebody from SD would need to take that car and drop it off in PUJ so as to replenish the vehicle park there. The gas is extremely expensive, so paying $150 for gasoline and some employee time to drive the car there (4 hours from SD) and then return back, plus other associated costs (bus on a way back, diets, etc.) it's not a "freeby" as you say...maybe they "earn" 20-30 dollars at it but with the current gas prices, even that is being eaten up slowly.

In the US, there is also a drop off fee if dropped outside of the same state, within the same state or within "X" miles it may be free, but because those vehicles have more "moving around" opportunities than they do here. Also on favorite "one way drops" the rental companies operate truck shuttles to bring back 10-15 cars at once.