Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about renting a car

Hello

I'm comming to Punta Cana at the end of May and I'm planning to rent a car for about 20 days, so I have few questions:
    1. International rental companies requires me to have driver's licence issued 2 years ago or more, but mine license was issued in 2011. Is this a problem? Would rental companies look at my driver's licence? Is there a way to rent a car for me? (I have driving experience in 1 million city with some agressive traffic)

2. Prices of international rental companies seems to be too high compared to buying old used car. It is up to $45/day for basic models, that is $900 for 20 days, and I have seen old cars for sale priced near to $1200. So, is there a way to safely rent a car with insurances (incl. LDW/CDW, theft cover), not new, but in good condition (breaks, signals, etc.) and with a lower price?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You can easily walk into any car rental place here and walk out with a car. You would be stupid to do so if you are not covered for an accident though (if your license means squat). Think worst case scenario and expect nothing less. Get complete OTT cover, I recently rented a car and paid $100 per day, more for the insurance than I paid for the car.
    I used to be a bit daring, or naive and drive with no insurance and infact no legal license, but wasn't aware at the time. I've now seen so much and heard so many nightmare stories I won't touch a rental unless they cover me for anything and everything.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand that I need insurance/coverage.
    I just want to know if there a way to rent a car from local (or international) rental firms for about $20-30/day with full valid insurance/coverage?
    I'm not seeking for a new car, but only for car in good condition.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

That is the going rate in the PUJ area, I know a couple that rented a Kia for three weeks with full insurance coverage and it cost them $1,500.00...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, they will rent you the car, but how strong the cover is if some companies need your license to be over 2 years issued then it might be hit and miss. I wouldn't go near a local company expecting the coverage the promise. I'd say ALWAYs use a well known and recognised company over here. If you read the small print on some of the policies offered, the actual insurance they state is offered actually isn't. Take a look at THRIFTY for instance, they are well known company. Read the insurance they state they offer and then read the small print and it doesn't actually cover what it does for the same policy in the US.
    Be careful is all I can say.
    Your price for full valid coverage is low IMO.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We rent from Europcar in Punta Cana, for up to 3 weeks with insurance, but, Its much cheaper online ahead
    than renting when you get there, well alot actually. We will be buying a car soon but we have a cedula so getting proper insurance etc
    is not a problem.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Be very careful with Europcar, they try and add on all kinds of things to "pad" the bill. But the advice to rent online will save
    you a lot of money here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Alamo, Alamo, Alamo.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Dollar.. good cars, great service, If you use the American Express card, and you have the car rental insurance option, then you pay only $25 for the insurance on the CAR... then you have about $5--a day for the liablility, There may be other credit cards which have this option.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no rentals that will cost you $20-30 per day including Insurance. You Can get rental prices for around $30 per day but the Insurance will cost an additional $25-35 per day. Alamo does not have an office at Punta Cana and yes using your American Express card gives you good back up protection on the insurance. If you are staying in PC you may thing twice about having a car as going to and from the airport are the only certain trips and a Taxi is less money than a day's car rental. If you intend to leave the Republic of Punta Cana and go visit the Dominican Republic to La Romana or Santo Domingo or elsewhere then a car is helpful. Just keep in mind that the drivers are loco and you must avoid accidents as they are a huge hassle in the D.R. Gas is now about $5.50 USD per gallon so I'm to the point of taking Taxis and leaving the driving to them. I paid $400 for the rental and Insurance plus another $125 in gas last week and it's not worth it. Next month I'm going to stay local and just take Taxis, publicos and Motos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast