Presidente changes taste from month to month!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Anyone else find that it tastes more malty one month from the next. I begin drinking Brahma then that changes and so flip back to presidente and it is nice.
I only say this as it is now the weekend and beer o'clock (infact 10 minutes early) and this beer tastes like it has been filtered through a mop. Again, undrinkable, not a little different but almost like a different beer entirely.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've been drinkining beer everyday (barring certain uncontrollable events) since 1985, hiccup, and I'd say that this is typical with most beers I've drank. I recently had a Brahama that was off but couldn't make myself pour it down the drain. :cry:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Brahma and Presidente are made from the same company, it that means anything.

neofloyd

Apr 14, 2011
Guys it really depends on where you buy it, sometimes colmados shut down there fridges overnight to save on electricity and that has an impact on the freshness of the beer, other places like food shop and minimarkets don't use this method so there beers taste better, I can tell when a beer has been frozen and then unfrozen or when it is just old.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
all in the temperature- the coldness hides a multitude of funny tastes

I tend to agree with JR at this point. At the moment of consumption, if the drink is so cold it numbs the back of your throat so much it hurts then the taste really is not that important and even if it does taste of linda lovelaces panties it really wouldn't matter!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am sorry, it is Bohemia that is part of Presidente, not Brahma.
I knew you would correct that. Nobody could mistake Brahma "The best in the DR" and sold throughout the word to CND product. ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I doubt that...Why would they compete so furiously ?
the same reason General Mills makes private label cereal their brands compete against: they make $$$.

They fill their excess brewery capacity.

By filling that capacity they can produce their own brands less expensively. AND they make $$$ on a contract.

The folks they brew for have higher direct costs. However they have very low capital expenses and virtually no production overhead.

Everybody wins.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
CND is owned by Miller Brewing Co., which in turn is owned by a South African company I believe. Brahma is made by Ambev (the largest brewery holder in the world). They recently purchased Anheuser-Busch, so I wonder if they'll try to take yet another stab at introducing Budweiser into The DR. Last time didn't go so well...

Presidente is king in The DR. Nobody knows the market like they do...they've been challenged left and right over the years and always come out on top. I thought Ambev with their deep pockets would be the ones that would give them a run for their money, but alas after a few years Brahma is relegated to a cheapo second rate beer (in the eyes of Dominicans) that people only buy because of highly discounted prices (i.e. 3 for 100 pesos).

I was wishing they succeeded and continued to introduce many different beers (the more the merrier). For instance I liked Quilmes, but you can't find it anymore. Was hoping I could find Stella-Artois anywhere, but again you can't find it in the local colmado. Presidente just has a hold on the Dominican Psyche that's extremely hard to break.

The one thing that IS changing is that more and more people are drinking wine, vodka, mixed drinks, etc...it used to be it was just beer, rum and if you could afford it some kind of Whisky.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I'm not sure what the difference is as to who makes it. Just like Chip, I just enjoy drinking it.;)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
the same reason General Mills makes private label cereal their brands compete against: they make $$$.

They fill their excess brewery capacity.

By filling that capacity they can produce their own brands less expensively. AND they make $$$ on a contract.

The folks they brew for have higher direct costs. However they have very low capital expenses and virtually no production overhead.

Everybody wins.

Except the poor sods who drink themselves to death. :dead: