Thanks Doug

J

Joyce

Thanks for the email, but it will not let me email you back at that address. I will look over the info you offered on the D.R., thanks again. Joyce

S

Susan

living in DR

I am considering a move to the dominican republic in order to accept a job offer in commercial real estate. How safe am I as an American woman with a young toddler in the DR? My husband, daughter and I would be living near the capitol. I would appreciate any input. Thanks :)

D

Doug

Re: living in DR

Susan: I think you would be just as safe as you would living in the states or anywhere else! If you speak spanish things would be a heck of a lot easier for you, but "safe" I believe you would have no problem. But maybe Tom or Hillbilly or Jim or Ehc md or someone else who has spent more time on the island can give you a more edjucated answer. One thing that I do know, it is a beautiful and safe island in MY opinion!

S

Susan

Thank you for your response. I actually do speak Spanish, and lived in Mexico for six months in a rural village. However, that was before I became a parent. My main concern is for the safety of my daughter. Has anyone here lived in the Dominican Republic for any length of time? Any experiences with the Health Care System, Banking...etc. Thanks:)

H

Henry

Well, as allready said, it is pretty safe over here! (I do not know to much about safety in the US anyway!) It depends where you are going to live, as there are "good" and "bad" sectors in town just like anywhere!

If you are going to live in Santo Domingo, we have very good bilengual schools over here like Saint George, American school etc. (all private) Public schools are rather essential!

For the health system - you definitly would need a health insurance, where we do have various good companies! I do recomend this to any person living here, as a stay in a hospital over here can be very expensive (and by ways not the same standard as you will encounter in the US!). Some places are better and you would have to check with the company you wish to secure yourself, if they have contracts (associates) with the doctors / centers you want to go!

The banks over here are about as you will find them anywhere else, just keep in mind not having to much cash on the account rather than investing it into depostit certs so you get an interest on it! (Up to 20 %)

Any further questions? - Just ask here or give me a mail!

Henry

S

Susan

Thank you for your response. All in all, I have received positive responses to the living situation question. Thanks for the help:)