Theft on April 16 - La Mulata

Dec 21, 2008
On Saturday, Apr 16 Mr. Silver Fox and I went into Sosua for approximately two hours. During that time, a person or persons broke into our home using a crowbar to pry open our security gate at the back of our house. They broke the deadbolt. He (they) gained access through our sliding patio doors by working the window pins. Our dogs were in the house at the time and were unharmed.

Someone was keeping close watch on us and knew that our dogs were not good guard dogs but do bark a lot. Unfortunately, our close neighbours were not home at the time either. We have since added a third dog that is a guard dog. We are suspicious of several individuals in this area but as we have no concrete proof, we can?t do anything.

He (they) took three Acer laptops. One was a 18", one was a 16" and one was an 11.5". The 11.5" was taken without the power cord. The 16" was sitting on a separate fan unit. They also took a brand new Nikon camera and an older pocket style Olympus camera. We are also missing our IPod.

We have spoken to the police and filed a report. We were informed that there have been numerous break-ins in this area with the same MO so heads up to everyone to keep extra vigil.

While we have had help checking various pawn type stores from Puerto Plata to Sabaneta, we have had no success in finding any of our possessions and we really don't expect to retrieve anything. :ermm:

If anyone is approached by anyone selling any of these rather new looking items, I would be grateful if it could be reported to the police. Also, please PM me if you hear of anything.

While we are still angry, we are here to tell our tale and were unharmed. We can't change what happened, only how we feel about it. We have reinforced our security gates with extra steel deadbolts and mammoth sized pad locks for when we leave our home and take our replacement laptop with us.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
On Saturday, Apr 16 Mr. Silver Fox and I went into Sosua for approximately two hours. During that time, a person or persons broke into our home using a crowbar to pry open our security gate at the back of our house. They broke the deadbolt. He (they) gained access through our sliding patio doors by working the window pins. Our dogs were in the house at the time and were unharmed.

Someone was keeping close watch on us and knew that our dogs were not good guard dogs but do bark a lot. Unfortunately, our close neighbours were not home at the time either. We have since added a third dog that is a guard dog. We are suspicious of several individuals in this area but as we have no concrete proof, we can?t do anything.

He (they) took three Acer laptops. One was a 18", one was a 16" and one was an 11.5". The 11.5" was taken without the power cord. The 16" was sitting on a separate fan unit. They also took a brand new Nikon camera and an older pocket style Olympus camera. We are also missing our IPod.

We have spoken to the police and filed a report. We were informed that there have been numerous break-ins in this area with the same MO so heads up to everyone to keep extra vigil.

While we have had help checking various pawn type stores from Puerto Plata to Sabaneta, we have had no success in finding any of our possessions and we really don't expect to retrieve anything. :ermm:

If anyone is approached by anyone selling any of these rather new looking items, I would be grateful if it could be reported to the police. Also, please PM me if you hear of anything.

While we are still angry, we are here to tell our tale and were unharmed. We can't change what happened, only how we feel about it. We have reinforced our security gates with extra steel deadbolts and mammoth sized pad locks for when we leave our home and take our replacement laptop with us.
This is terrible to hear. I guess the good news is that neither you or the dogs were harmed. 'Pa lante que vamos. I can also see that this will not bring or keep you down.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Sorry to hear about your loss. Good thing your dogs weren't harmed,as I am hearing that poisoning dogs here seems to be some kind of sport.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am so glad you & the dogs are OK! But please be very diligent, because the criminals could return. I've personally seen it happened in the La Mulatta area. They have no problems coming back! Please be careful!

Ricardo

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
I respect that you are sharing personal information on the board...

However, it was the best bet to post such information here, you may of got a lead..:bandit:

But then i noticed, 16th April?

its the 1st of may?

BR

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Mrs Silver fox 60

There have been a number of similar breakins of a similar MO from Cabarete to now La Mulata from early March to now. I have personal information about the relavent breakins and the MO is the same. Two guys are involved and they know when you are out. The Security guards seem to be involved too. It is not clear if it is the same Security Company involved but it may be? This is not going to stop. The local police do not care and may be getting their cut too but I have no direct evidence of that !
If any one wants to pm me for details and names and dates please do so.

HTH
Olly

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In 2005 I lived in La Mulata 2 also. An asshole tried to rob me at my house. I blew his ****ing brains out. There were
no more robberies in La Mulata for a year after that.

Unfortunately I don't live there anymore so I cannot be of help this time. But that is what is needed there now.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sorry to hear about your robbery. At least you weren't at home at the time and nobody go hurt.
Do you have bars on your windows and doors? I know that they can look unsightly, but some designs can actually enhance the look if done right.
The more fortified your place looks, the more the robbers will look elsewhere

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
One of my biggest concerns about moving to the DR is safeguarding valuables. Even though I'm bored as hell -- living where I live -- one nice thing is I can leave my house for a couple of months and not worry about theft.

Unless you live in one of the more affluent gated communities, that has "top-notch" security, break-ins are far more prevelant in the DR than where I live in rural Pennsylavania.

Not as much violent crime in the DR as there is at home here in PA, but theft is far more commonplace in the DR.....but that is to be expected of any third-world country.....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
when you bring in electricians, plumbers or even some dominican guy to help around the house, they all take note of what you have in your possession. Your maid is the 1st person who will talk about your possessions to her friends and primos. If guys bring in local girls to your home then watch out, they also take a good look around. This is how gringos get robbed.
I have been living here for 13 yrs and never have been robbed. I just don'tr bring in people to check out my home. The people who visit my home have better homes to live in than I do. I do not worry about home robberies.
AZB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
In 2005 I lived in La Mulata 2 also. An asshole tried to rob me at my house. I blew his ****ing brains out. There were
no more robberies in La Mulata for a year after that.

Unfortunately I don't live there anymore so I cannot be of help this time. But that is what is needed there now.

Did the police give you a hard time about it?

george1

Jan 2, 2011
I have a quick unrelated question and I am only asking this because you mentioned that you live in La Mulata. I met a while ago a rather disturbed German person called "DR." Peter Brunck. A case that called negative international attention to the area. Do you by any chance know if he has left the Dominican Republic or is he still there terrorizing his surroundings?

Dec 21, 2008
Yes, we have security bars on ALL our doors and windows. The robbers broke through our back security door with a crowbar.

We do not have a maid, electrician or plumber or any local help of any kind. We do all our work ourselves. This is why we suspect, and I say this with the outmost caution, we believe that it is one of the gardeners of one of the homes nearby on a hill was involved as he often sits and watches us...so we use our binoculars and watch him back...kinda unnerves him at times but what the *ell!!

We do not have daytime security so it is unlikely that the company is involved but you never know.

I agree...the police do not care. They arrived, went through the motions and we have never heard back.

And finally, yes I waited two weeks to post as we wanted to go through the info we received before I came to the board. As usual, you ask for help and you always have to get at least one person who has to take a dig at you for something.

To those who offered words of encouragement and warning, I thank you!

My mother always use to say, if you can't say something nice, keep your mouth shut...pretty wise words.

Dec 21, 2008
I have a quick unrelated question and I am only asking this because you mentioned that you live in La Mulata. I met a while ago a rather disturbed German person called "DR." Peter Brunck. A case that called negative international attention to the area. Do you by any chance know if he has left the Dominican Republic or is he still there terrorizing his surroundings?

I have never heard the name but others may have. We have heard via the grape gossip vine that La Mulata III can be pretty scary. We live in La Mulata I.

Dec 21, 2008
Yes Beeza...we refer to our home as Casa Fort Knox...apparently we weren't fortified enough. However, with the upgrades with additional steel deadbolts, the next time someone tries to break in, they will have to come with either a grinder or a welder to cut through everything.

Dec 21, 2008
Im glad you and your dogs are alive. Maybe you should try to connect electricity on your windows and doors, the same type of "battery" the farmers use for keeping the cattle from escaping, if you know what i mean.

You know, it is funny you posted that...Mr Silver Fox said the very same thing!!! However, as great as an idea as that is, the first person to fry would probably be me!!!! I would forget and touch something so we won't go there...probably would cook the cat or the dogs too...

Actually, Mr Silver Fox wanted 220 V...

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Did the police give you a hard time about it?

The Police treated me like a hero. One night in the Colonel's quarters in Puerta Plata and out. But I have a Dominican
Passport, and know a few people.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

I know all about this guy. I am pretty sure he is gone, but I can check when I get a chance.