Car Advice !

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Some one in DR offered to sell us his 2002 Jeep/Pickup Mitsubishi L200 all wheel dr
for a 12000$
Is that a realistic price or way off ?
Manu

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some one in DR offered to sell us his 2002 Jeep/Pickup Mitsubishi L200 all wheel dr
for a 12000$
Is that a realistic price or way off ?
Manu
The Jeep or L200.

It depends on the condition. If it's primo and the CarFax checks out, the price isn't too bad, although healthy. If is so-so with over 150,000 actual miles, yes, the price is high.

Check Supercarros.com for comps.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Until you know the condition it is impossible to say. I've had 4 L200s and love them. I can't see the point in a pickup unless it is going to be working for you, loading and unloading an L200 isn't that comfortable for everyday household use and just to put the shopping in the back is not as easy as you may think, it is high and the tail is heavy (only saying incase you are not able to jump up and down from the back every time you want a bag of spuds).
The twin cab is great for getting small people in the back but if over 5'9" then you are going to have a back neck by the time you get anywhere lengthy.

It is sometimes worth paying a little more for the sakes of knowing where the vehicle has come from, you can then go back to them if you have any major probs in the first few months. I'd not pay 12,000 though, for sure!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
easy question to ascertain value from afar:
a. is it a diesel or gasoline model? diesel sounds like a better deal but getting glow-plugs in DR can be expensive
b. a gasoline engine can be converted easier to run on propane or natural gas.
c. compare the price to a Toyota Hi-Lux and Isuzu 4 door pickup whose name I cant recall(which is same as Chevy Colorado).

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Who's selling it?

If it's a dominican it may not have seen a workshop unless it broke down. Gringos tend to service their vehicles more regularly - not being prejudiced but it's true.

Then again some gringos have never found the bonnet release either lol.

By way of comparison we bought a 10yr old Montero Sport, petrol, with 46,000 miles showing from a gringo for RD420,000. That was 3 1/2 yrs ago & it hasn't missed a beat since - with regular servicing ;-)

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
The problem I am having is that my sister is in germany, going to DR in july ,needing a vehicle and he knows that !
I am on the other hand in houston and giving her advice per email lol
I ve been in the car and its kind of beat up

So , what to do?
Any suggestions please pm me
Northcoast area
Manu

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I ve been in the car and its kind of beat up

So , what to do?

Northcoast area
Manu

Well the last thing you do is buy it, lol. There are a lot of cars for sale on the Northcoast and a lot of expats selling. Put the word out in a few bars and you will be shown the light by someone, still be careful, gringos can sting as much as any Native.

Feb 7, 2007
Good rule of thumb - check same car price in the USA, for the same condition, then put on top of it 60%, that should be the going sale rate in the DR. If it is substantially more than that, you are better off importing.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
buy from a private party selling on Super Carros. Run a Car Fax on the vehicle. Available online for about 35 dollars US. Buy a Toyota. Highest resale, cheap available parts and good reliability. Every DR mechanic can work on a Toyota. The car Fax will give you the miles, accident history and number of previous owners, including last one before it sailed off to the DR. Used car dealers in the DR are very sharp and there are no rules and regualtions- anything goes- and they are expters at renovating old hi mileage clunkers to look like new. I have seen them remove the interiors and steam clean them. Avoid the dealers. Follow that and you will not be fooled.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
easy question to ascertain value from afar:
a. is it a diesel or gasoline model? diesel sounds like a better deal but getting glow-plugs in DR can be expensive
b. a gasoline engine can be converted easier to run on propane or natural gas.
c. compare the price to a Toyota Hi-Lux and Isuzu 4 door pickup whose name I cant recall(which is same as Chevy Colorado).

There is not L200 gas engine in DR. just Diesel.
Had 2 L200 and love it, need almost not maintenance.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
There is a fellow in Santiago who runs a business inspecting cars and or helping you find what you are looking for. he has a set price list. His email usedcarinspector@gmail.com Phone 809-516-6419 He is an expat and a mechanic!