Why is everyone afraid of my dog?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
So my pup R?o is now just shy of 4 months old. He's cute as hell and wouldn't hurt a fly. As anyone who's owned a Golden Retriever knows, they're much more likely to lead a thief to your fine china than alert you that somethings wrong. However, when I take him to the beach or out for a walk, the vast majority of locals act like I'm walking a grizzly bear. The small children run screaming and the adults get this wide-eyed look and back away. I can understand being weary of a grown dog, but a puppy? I just don't get it. How can you be afraid of this little guy?

VNRiP.jpg

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
He's very cute! I think that many Dominicans are afraid of any big dog, no matter what breed. My neighbor across the street is a vet. He has a fairly large black dog, looks like a Chow. Most of the people from the nearby barrio walk on my side of the street so that they don't have to go past his gate.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
The only experience most Dominicans have with dogs are what they see on TV and the local equivalent of what Puerto Ricans call "Satos". Dogs bite being the message they get.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The only experience most Dominicans have with dogs are what they see on TV and the local equivalent of what Puerto Ricans call "Satos". Dogs bite being the message they get.

Hey that's great jumping from the general stuff forum to the living forum. I see you're learning how a message board works.

Good for you ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a rottweiler, two, to be precise. dominicans think my goggies came from hell :)
i had people crossing the street when passing us, grabbing sticks "for protection" when i pass them or simply turning around and walking back to avoid getting close to us. and this is fully grown adults!
kids, on the other hand, are worse: they love my rotties. i had kids run towards us, drop on their knees and hug my dogs before i even managed to say wtf. dogs love kids as well but i normally do not let them anywhere near small people as they can get pushed and squashed when dogs try to lick them to death :)
of course once the dogs are inside the property they become very protective unless they know someone. our maid always fights with them for brillo pads they like to steal ;)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You are 50 kg DV8 and you walk not one but two rottweiler ??? Unless, I knew you and your dogs, my grown ass would cross the street if I were to cross path with you (especially with my children). Why ? You don't have the strength to hold your dogs if they were to launch (unless they look well trained of course). Who knows they might be walking you ?? :)

To my despair, my 2.5 year old looooooooves dog, but she is starting to understand that she can pet all of them.

That puppy is ADORABLE !!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, i walked two of them but no more, i cannot control them anymore (the smaller one is about 30kg already and the bigger one is probably close to 50kg). unless i put a collar high up the neck and almost strangle them :(
but the point is the dogs are really calm and sedated and they never show any agression. still, i normally stop and strangle them a bit when i see people with kids because i am afraid dogs will push them to the ground. which is why it drives me nuts when kids launch themsleves unto my dogs with kisses and hugs :) they know no fear :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
yes, i walked two of them but no more, i cannot control them anymore (the smaller one is about 30kg already and the bigger one is probably close to 50kg). unless i put a collar high up the neck and almost strangle them :(
but the point is the dogs are really calm and sedated and they never show any agression. still, i normally stop and strangle them a bit when i see people with kids because i am afraid dogs will push them to the ground. which is why it drives me nuts when kids launch themsleves unto my dogs with kisses and hugs :) they know no fear :)

Sounds like my daughter :( :)

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Still some years to go until they finally understand you...a bit ;)

LOL, the way it is going I am afraid in 4 years it will be: " I want a dog, I want a cat...." :)

I can't imagine if she was to see the OP's puppy.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Let them be afraid. Keeps all but the hardcore's away from your house.

Deterrence is almost as good as defense. Fear makes for deterrence.

The DR is an entirely different dog culture than the states, for sure.

My big lump 60kg. Great Dane Toby couldn't hurt anybody-well, I don't really know-but I don't tell that to anyone who meets him except for trusted friends.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
LOL, the way it is going I am afraid in 4 years it will be: " I want a dog, I want a cat...." :)
That's just the beginning.

"I want Air Jordan's."

"I want a motorcycle."

"EVERYBODY has them, Momma...PLEEEEEEEZEEEE"

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
So my pup R?o is now just shy of 4 months old. He's cute as hell and wouldn't hurt a fly. As anyone who's owned a Golden Retriever knows, they're much more likely to lead a thief to your fine china than alert you that somethings wrong. However, when I take him to the beach or out for a walk, the vast majority of locals act like I'm walking a grizzly bear. The small children run screaming and the adults get this wide-eyed look and back away. I can understand being weary of a grown dog, but a puppy? I just don't get it. How can you be afraid of this little guy?

I get that too. I have a 20 pound terrier mix and a five pound Chihuahua. I walk them at least twice a day and it amazes me how many people are afraid of them.

Many people ask if they bite and I smile and answer "Only if they have a reason". That gets a nervous laugh sometimes.

Sometimes I answer "they don't bite but I do". That gets some laughs and some strange looks.

I wonder if there's a deep cultural memory of colonial slavers using dogs to control people they were abusing. Is that an urban myth?

I've noticed people who obviously like dogs but won't touch them. In barrios I think there are people who will adopt a street dog and put food out for it but can't afford to take care of vaccinations.

Maybe there'a healthy wariness of the diseases a dog can carry.

Nov 10, 2010

VNRiP.jpg

Maybe cause he makes ever dog he sees his biatch.... sorry couldnt resist

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
They've never seen what a dog look's like when you feed it properly? Also where did you get him? my ole lady want's a damm rat oh I mean a chiwawa me If I gotta feed another mouth thats not her family I WANT A REAL DOG. pm me

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
They've never seen what a dog look's like when you feed it properly? Also where did you get him? my ole lady want's a damm rat oh I mean a chiwawa me If I gotta feed another mouth thats not her family I WANT A REAL DOG. pm me

What do you mean real dog?

My Chuhuahuachi has a talent for pi$$ing off big dogs. :p

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Let them be afraid. Keeps all but the hardcore's away from your house.

Deterrence is almost as good as defense. Fear makes for deterrence.

The DR is an entirely different dog culture than the states, for sure.

My big lump 60kg. Great Dane Toby couldn't hurt anybody-well, I don't really know-but I don't tell that to anyone who meets him except for trusted friends.

Unfortunately dog is attack is a problem in the DR. I have been bitten in the ankle just riding my bike on the public roads.

States than have invoked fairly strict dog control laws have met with success.

E.g. Calgary has reduced dog attacks from 3000 per year to less 158 last year.

I would guess that in many areas of the US rates of attack are low - in the DR much higher. Hence the fear and caution necessary with dogs in the DR.

In the UK breeds have been banned also elsewhere.

Part of the problem has been that unsatisfactory dog owners are attracted to macho breeds.

So I would suggest caution with unknown dogs.

Yanandu