Vietnam veterans

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Yes ... USMC 1967-69 --- 0311

In-country March 1968-March 1968
Split between Fox 2/5 (a regular infantry outfit) and 1st CAG (a CAP outfit)

Major
:cool:

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Yes there are, and i am one. I was an airborne officer sent there from June 61-June 62 in an advisory capacity ( if you know what that really means ). I was fortunate to complete my " tour " without any physical injuries and opted out of the bonuses that were offered for a second round. I received a field promotion from 1st LT to Capt.
To change the subject for a second..Beginning May 21st there will be a tournament of real football in the olympic stadium between 5 teams that are playing in the DR..they also need refs etc. Call 809-564-6282 for info.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Idiotic post... infraction given.

One more infraction and your gone... permanently.
Don't say you wasn't warned.

If I was you, I would either take a break from DR1 or
actually engage brain before clicking on the "Submit" button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
"War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made so by the exertions of better men than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
PS
Thank you to all the Marines who have served for our freedom! My son was a proud Marine and I am a proud Mother of a former Marine!

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Let's notice how dignified the responses have been to this subject. We vets can be PROUD!!!!!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Almost

20 in Naval Air - 20 minutes into the eye exam career over

1 1/2 in the US Army - one and a half hours into the induction at the Boston Army Base (most of it spent waiting around) they x-rayed my left arm to look at an athletic injury and sent me home.

28 months in the Peace Corps in Thailand Dec 1970 - April 1973 but that doesn't count.

I lived near a Thai Black Tiger base. They were being trained by green berets. They're the kind of guys you want on your side in a dust up. That still doesn't count.

I visited some friends at Korat airbase. It was like visiting the US. I saw B-52's taking off from U-Tapao.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I lost high school friends and a cousin in Vietnam, and wrote endless letters to family serving there. My son-in-law lost his brother in Iraq to a sniper.

Making its rounds on Facebook, including mine:

Now I lay me down 2 sleep, 1 less terrorist this world does keep. With all my ♥ I give my thanks, 2 those in uniform regardless of ranks. You serve our country & serve it well, with humble hearts your stories tell. So as I rest my weary eyes, while freedom rings our flag still flies. You give your all, do what u must, with God we live & in God we trust.

AE

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
It counts to me

20 in Naval Air - 20 minutes into the eye exam career over

1 1/2 in the US Army - one and a half hours into the induction at the Boston Army Base (most of it spent waiting around) they x-rayed my left arm to look at an athletic injury and sent me home.

28 months in the Peace Corps in Thailand Dec 1970 - April 1973 but that doesn't count.

I lived near a Thai Black Tiger base. They were being trained by green berets. They're the kind of guys you want on your side in a dust up. That still doesn't count.

I visited some friends at Korat airbase. It was like visiting the US. I saw B-52's taking off from U-Tapao.

I was at U-Tapao working on those B-52's electronic warfare systems in 73-74 as USAF E-4. I wouldn't have been there at all if I hadn't been so close to getting drafted.
You, on the other hand, had a choice. You chose to contribute when you didn't have to. That's what really counts in my book.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, Somehow my post got erased when knucklehead got spanked. I reiterate all I did was be really scared and try to make deals with God in 69SEP70 Phu Loi, Quan Loi, & An Loc. These guys & girls doing repeated tours over and over are a new breed of hero. There were and are real heroes absolutley including all veterans and those everyday people who nurse, teach, etc But keep in mind;

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Two uncles Vietnam Vet's retired 20 years, three DI and four platoon sergents,one First sergent all vietnam vets they all served with pride.
Myself and 5 cousins served between 84 - 92 and proud to have served and now have two younger cousins Army and Marines who have done two tour's in Iraq and still serving. ESSAYON'S

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
.... try to make deals with God ... "

Yes ... I am certainly familiar with THAT!!! Danger (combat) has a unique way of focusing the mind, and if you don't already know how, you will find yourself learning really fast how to pray. I do think that I kept most (although maybe not all) of the promises that I made. And I must have been heard because:

--- I made it back safely (but with a purple heart)
--- I found out what it was like to be 19, with a pocket full of money, and a week in Bangkok in the 60's.:laugh:

Major
:cool:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
As a female line officer, I was not allowed to serve in combat even though I served during that war. (Women in combat, on submarines and ships came later than my service).

One of the graduates of the School of Nursing of my college was killed in Vietnam. She was one of eight nurses killed there. Many people don't realize that there were US servicewomen killed in Vietnam.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Vietnam Era Vets.

Think we count 2, US Army 65-69 No time in Nam, but 14 mo. in South Korea. No matter if you were in Nam or not, you put up with the same crap from the Hippes.