Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for info about La Union just outside of Sosua

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for info about La Union just outside of Sosua

Hi...we have been in Dominican Republic only a few times for holidays and while there met a family that lives in la Union. I think the part they live in is called "viva la liberation" ....not sure of spelling? I am interested in learning more about this area....the history of how it developed , the population , schools, basically any information anyone has to offer. Would it be considered a fairly safe area to stay in as a Canadian who speaks very little Spanish? Are there any volunteer opportunities in this community? I am finding it very diffcult to find any information on the internet relating specifically to La Union.
    Thanks....appreciate any info you may have to offer.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't recommend it for a gringo. It's a low income area. If you didn't know how to be safe you could have trouble. The woman who cleans our home lives there. She says it's pretty rough. I don't think you'd find many folks that speak English back there. If you were to contact a local church you may find volunteer opportunities.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I know an American guy who lives there, his Spanish is terrible. He does have a child with a girl from there though and his colour makes him blend a bit. I know a few barmaids from Sosua who also live there, and I also know some who would love to live there, but these are Sosua bar maids who earn RD$4000 per month before 'tips'.
    Would I live there? If I was with my girl then yes.
    Would I live there without any Spanish, never, you couldn't do anything or speak to anyone, people can talk about you infront of you without you knowing. 'hey Pedro, lets rob this gringo tosser on the way home!', not ideal really.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

True, but there's really no place for a gringo who has no Spanish that is "good." Maybe safer, maybe around more expats (which doesn't necessarily improve things,) but not "good."

The best thing anyone can do to prepare for life out here is learn the lingo in advance. I don't mean knowing how to ask for the bathroom and distinguish between an apple and an orange, but be able to have an intermediate level conversation with someone prior to arriving. Makes all the difference in the world.

Either way, good luck.

5. Likes Major448 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that La Union is a low cost housing for Dominicains only.I know a Canadian girl that lives there but was maried to a Dominicain. The next time you are in Sosua,look her up.Her name is Linda and own a bar on the beach near Charamicos entrance.
    Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

La Liberacion is a neighborhood of multi-story buildings created to house residents of the former neighborhood of El Dabon (spelling?) which was on the west side of Los Charamicos. El Dabon was a poor barrio on the water and was a huge source of pollution going into the sea. The tourism authorities re-located all the residents to La Liberacion which at the time (a few years back) was new and is mostly 2 BR apartments. They then leveled El Dabon and it is no more.
    The neighborhood is working folks from the airport and Sosua and Puerto Plata, etc. and I go there often as my daughter has family there and it is safe. It is very lively on weekend nights as everyone hangs out on the balcony or in the street. It is not an area where one will find Gringos but to live there wouldn't be a stretch if you had peeps there. To get to La Liberacion you drive thru La Union, up and over the hill. La Union is also a working class barrio with workers from the airport, Sosua and Cabarete. Both are basic Dominican neighborhoods and schools are Public.
    I know nothing about volunteer organizations in that area.

8. Likes GrandmaA liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

RV429 has the facts - the government built this apartment complex "Villa Liberacion" to move people out of Tablon. NO - I would not advise you stay in La Union, and especially if you don't speak spanish or as a single woman. NO< NO< NO.
    There is a medical clinic on the outskirt of Villa Liberacion run by a ministry here - maybe they could use you for volunteer work.
    There ARE alot of nice people here - but be wise, be safe.

10. Likes GrandmaA liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I lived in La Union some years back- but then i grew VERY tired of have my electricity stolen EVERY night, among other things- and lets not to forget the powerouts two times a day.

It was a interesting experience, but i would never ever do it again, i would rather cut of my penis with a rusty breadknife.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus_Rattus View Post
    It was a interesting experience, but i would never ever do it again, i would rather cut of my penis with a rusty breadknife.
    Yikes!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus_Rattus View Post
    Hmmm, I would consider the latter more than an interesting experience, but who knows, maybe you are German,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast