Looking for info about La Union just outside of Sosua

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
Hi...we have been in Dominican Republic only a few times for holidays and while there met a family that lives in la Union. I think the part they live in is called "viva la liberation" ....not sure of spelling? I am interested in learning more about this area....the history of how it developed , the population , schools, basically any information anyone has to offer. Would it be considered a fairly safe area to stay in as a Canadian who speaks very little Spanish? Are there any volunteer opportunities in this community? I am finding it very diffcult to find any information on the internet relating specifically to La Union.
Thanks....appreciate any info you may have to offer.:classic:

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I wouldn't recommend it for a gringo. It's a low income area. If you didn't know how to be safe you could have trouble. The woman who cleans our home lives there. She says it's pretty rough. I don't think you'd find many folks that speak English back there. If you were to contact a local church you may find volunteer opportunities.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I know an American guy who lives there, his Spanish is terrible. He does have a child with a girl from there though and his colour makes him blend a bit. I know a few barmaids from Sosua who also live there, and I also know some who would love to live there, but these are Sosua bar maids who earn RD$4000 per month before 'tips'.
Would I live there? If I was with my girl then yes.
Would I live there without any Spanish, never, you couldn't do anything or speak to anyone, people can talk about you infront of you without you knowing. 'hey Pedro, lets rob this gringo tosser on the way home!', not ideal really.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
True, but there's really no place for a gringo who has no Spanish that is "good." Maybe safer, maybe around more expats (which doesn't necessarily improve things,) but not "good."

The best thing anyone can do to prepare for life out here is learn the lingo in advance. I don't mean knowing how to ask for the bathroom and distinguish between an apple and an orange, but be able to have an intermediate level conversation with someone prior to arriving. Makes all the difference in the world.

Either way, good luck. :glasses:

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
I think that La Union is a low cost housing for Dominicains only.I know a Canadian girl that lives there but was maried to a Dominicain. The next time you are in Sosua,look her up.Her name is Linda and own a bar on the beach near Charamicos entrance.
Mike

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
La Liberacion is a neighborhood of multi-story buildings created to house residents of the former neighborhood of El Dabon (spelling?) which was on the west side of Los Charamicos. El Dabon was a poor barrio on the water and was a huge source of pollution going into the sea. The tourism authorities re-located all the residents to La Liberacion which at the time (a few years back) was new and is mostly 2 BR apartments. They then leveled El Dabon and it is no more.
The neighborhood is working folks from the airport and Sosua and Puerto Plata, etc. and I go there often as my daughter has family there and it is safe. It is very lively on weekend nights as everyone hangs out on the balcony or in the street. It is not an area where one will find Gringos but to live there wouldn't be a stretch if you had peeps there. To get to La Liberacion you drive thru La Union, up and over the hill. La Union is also a working class barrio with workers from the airport, Sosua and Cabarete. Both are basic Dominican neighborhoods and schools are Public.
I know nothing about volunteer organizations in that area.

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
RV429 has the facts - the government built this apartment complex "Villa Liberacion" to move people out of Tablon. NO - I would not advise you stay in La Union, and especially if you don't speak spanish or as a single woman. NO< NO< NO.
There is a medical clinic on the outskirt of Villa Liberacion run by a ministry here - maybe they could use you for volunteer work.
There ARE alot of nice people here - but be wise, be safe.

I lived in La Union some years back- but then i grew VERY tired of have my electricity stolen EVERY night, among other things- and lets not to forget the powerouts two times a day.

It was a interesting experience, but i would never ever do it again, i would rather cut of my penis with a rusty breadknife.

patrikim

May 5, 2004
La-union

i have been living in la - union for the past year, and so far, so good... that is NOT to say i recommend it to "newbies" who have no family ties in la union, and do not speak the lingo (i have, and do ). villa liberacion is considered rough even by la- unionian standards. all in all i'd say this is intermediate and up territory, not for beginners.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
It doesnt seem the place to do volunteer work, dont most of the people that live there have work of some sort or another to pay for the housing.
I know a few people that live there that live a normal life

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Stay away. People get killed regularily. (No, not gringos) but it's a matter of time. Plus the noise. Even some Dominicans can't stand the idiots with their music braring at night. I repeat stay the f*ck away.

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
I have been to La Union a few times by way of guagua and the "carros publicos" and then walked up the hill to La Liberacion neighorhood. We felt safe but that may have been because we knew our friend was expecting us and would be coming down the road to meet us! The family we know does indeed live in a 3 story walk-up on the 3rd floor in a 2 bedroom apartment.....2 adults and four children. Super cute kids! Our friend speaks some English and with my little Spanish we make do. He has talked about us staying with them on our future trips but that would be just a mite crowded for me! He also thinks that an apartment in this development could be purchased fairly cheaply....10,000. US??? Were these apartments given to the people or sold to them or do they pay rent? Because of the language barrier these are things I can't quite get answers to from our friend.Would you have any idea ? Looking forward to learning anything more you may have to offer. Thanks!

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
Thanks ....I think this is great advice DRob and I am making every effort to learn as much Spanish as I can before my next visit to the Dominican Republic.
Can someone help me with getting the post to show up as a direct reply to the original poster and not at the end of the thread?:confused:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can someone help me with getting the post to show up as a direct reply to the original poster and not at the end of the thread?:confused:

The way to show who you are replying to is to click on "reply with quote" instead of "reply".

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Ditto

To what Eddy said. El Tablon was FULL of drug dealers, now relocated to La Liberacion. It's also very near a big, stinky trash dump, among other not-so-great attributes.

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
I think I have been convinced not to plan to stay in La Union next visit out....thanks everyone for your input! So now where to stay so I can do more research in person. We (my husband & I) found Perla de Sosua by way of an internet search that seems to have not bad rates for monthly rentals. Anybody have any info on the place ? Or any suggestions as to a good place to stay for reasonable price, good location etc. I think it was Ken that mentioned El Neptuno in another post. Are those apartments on the street just behind Banco Popular(spelling?)?Still interested in any more info on "viva liberacion" that any one may have to offer...not as a place to stay ...but having friends there ,to learn more about their way of life.Have a great day everyone!