Professional Dress Code

zarathustra

May 4, 2011
Hello,

I am new to the forum and did a search to see if I could find information about my question but did not really find one that directly matched my question.

I am scheduled to be in the DR for about two months. I will be working in a professional setting. I am a female in her mid 30's. I am having trouble figuring out what clothes to pack for when I am working.

As far as tops go, what is considered professional?
Are open toed shoes ok?
I don't really want to wear suits, but I will be packing some just in case.

For casual dress, I have a lot of dresses with cardigans to wear.

Can anyone give me some advice on what is acceptable.

Thanks!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I recommend pant suits
. like Hillary Clinton wears.Solid colors.As far as shoes go,anything goes here.Big earrings.Colorful neck scarfs.Large necklaces and pins.Casual dress is slacks.Shorts for the beach,or a day in the country.Designer jeans are ok to go out at night to most clubs.Some places have "Casual Fridays".
cris

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Well depending on where you're from, you may find it 'hot' here. I did for the first 2 years. Try to find thin thin thin natural fabrics, linen, wool, and cotton, not polyester. Still even though it's hot, sadly it's not 'normal' to wear hot weather clothes like it is in professional settings in Jamaica or Barbados. Here you should dress like you're going to church - suits, pants, and not beach sandals. again it depends on the setting, if you're a maid no, but if you're working in an office, then yes usually.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One of my daughters in law works in a bank. She wears a suit (pants, white blouse and jacket) closed medium heels.

Since most truly professional offices are air conditiones, there is no big deal as to the cloth used.

Be professional.

HB

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Well depending on where you're from, you may find it 'hot' here. I did for the first 2 years. Try to find thin thin thin natural fabrics, linen, wool, and cotton, not polyester. Still even though it's hot, sadly it's not 'normal' to wear hot weather clothes like it is in professional settings in Jamaica or Barbados. Here you should dress like you're going to church - suits, pants, and not beach sandals. again it depends on the setting, if you're a maid no, but if you're working in an office, then yes usually.

An excellent response ,,thin natural fabrics are the answer ,so avoid the dreadful smelly polyester,and dress as you may be going to church ,I have noticed many professional women wearing very nice skirts with an attractive belt and a blouse and always heels a little higher than in europe ..Yes, the capital is more formal than you would expect in a hot climate but I like it that way

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The ladies professional suits are made by hand here and generally fairly economical if you want to go that route and take no more than a week to make. Also, tight fitting clothes seem to be the norm for ladies that still aren't do?as yet.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Tell us what your profession is? What kind of an office or setting will you be working in? In many cases it will depend a great deal on the area and profession! What city are you going to work in? That too may have a bearing.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Just don't wear your pants so tight that you have a camel toe... I've seen it on "Professionals"

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just don't wear your pants so tight that you have a camel toe... I've seen it on "Professionals"

It is totally acceptable to sport a subtle toe, as long as is not a complete wedgie.
There is nothing that says, "I am a banker" better than a navy blue pants suit toe!
Has anybody noticed Banco de Santa Cruz only hires attractive models?

terrible tambo'

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
What you will probably find is that no matter what you have in your wardrobe, it will not quite fit in with what local women wear to work here.. The style here is far more form fitting than would be considered appropriate in the US and, I assume, Canada. So do not worry too much as you will always be tagged as a foreigner anyway.

But sleeves on blouses are essential. You cannot even enter government buildings sleeveless.I don't know why but there it is.

Also they do wear closed shoes with some AMAZINGLY high heels. I always wonder how they can even walk inside a building, let alone on the uneven sidewalks.

Linen is a good fabric and look .. assuming that you like to iron and use plenty of starch.

zarathustra

May 4, 2011
Thank you all so much for your comments.

I am an attorney and will be living in Santo Domingo. I will be volunteering as an attorney for a non profit agency. I had planned to take dress skirts and tops (sleeveless with cardigans or short sleeve.) I also have dresses that I can wear with cardigans and plenty of skirt suits.

As far as shoes go, I have a lot of closed high heeled dress shoes. But, coming from the US, I also have some open toed dress shoes (more like peep toe) that I wanted to pack as well. I have never been to the DR and I want to make sure that I am respectful of the dress code. I do not wear tight or form fitting clothes whether it is professional or casual.

I think my only concern is the heat and also wearing high heels and not knowing how far I will have to walk from home to work.

Thank you all again so much and I welcome any other pointers/advice for a first timer in the DR!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
open toes and sandals are ok as long as they are high heels. dominicanas love their heels.
skirts below the knee with a shirt or a top will be fine but i recommend long thin dress pants with shirt and a jacket. ALL OFFICES in DR are as cold as the deepest frozen pitch of hell.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you're working at a non-profit agency the dress code will almost certainly be more relaxed - jeans and T-shirts even. Prepare for all eventualities. I would arrive with cotton/linen/silk blouses and cotton/linen trousers and the sandals/shoes you feel comfortable in.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Is A "Camel Toe" Some Kind Of Shoe?????

I would like to see an example.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
womens_tropical_wool_suit.jpg