Ladies: what to wear in PUCMM Santiago?

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
Ok chicas,

I have been sifting through this forum for about 2 months now. I am trying to get ideas on what works in Santiago. I avoid shorts. I do not wear college or logo propaganda. No chancletas in public either. Teva types, I'm not saying. :pirate: Can you get by with jeans and skirts? Open toed sandals? Be gentle, I'm not a girly-girl.

I am not trying to join the "fit in / don't fit in" battle. I'm way taller than the average gal, there is NO WAY I will blend. I just hate feeling unprepared.

On a related note, all I can summarize from guidebooks & this forum are that "Santiago is more conservative than Santo Domingo" and "Santo Domingo is like Washington DC" but nothing is ever offered as a (corny) comparison to Santiago.

Any tips? I suspect some of you fellows out there have spent time observing the PUCMM girls, you know exactly what they wear. *eh-hem*

growing increasingly paranoid of having disastrous 'white girl hair' (too true, Shalena),

jabuti

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
No shorts is correct! I wear chancletas but not to a university. I don't know the university dress code but what's wrong with college or logo propaganda? Usually the girls I see wear skinny jeans, a nice shirt (pretty colors), and sandals (decorative, usually same or close color to the shirt). Nice looking, not trashy. I might see you when I come, I'll know by the hair I guess, LOL. You won't know its me....I'm 35 but look 25 (on my worst day, 28). It's a curse. You'll do fine, just stay away from shorts and mini-skirts.

SHALENA

P.S. Get some mousse for that hair girl, or get Dominican and touch it up every 5 minutes.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okay.
Most of the N.A. students (North American) dress like they were just getting out of bed. They are by far the worst dressed people on campus.
You want to dress properly?
Nice Ts, blouses, layers, jeans, skirts--not too long like Mother Hubbards, sandals, shoes, Nikes etc, lots of these artsy bracelets like beads and knots and stuff.
Hair is generally well kept. If you are tall and know you will stand out, then walk tall and be gorgeous. I think I might have some photos of kids in class. Let me check and maybe I can send them to you. Of course on FB they look "fabulous" but in class they tone it down...
HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
attitudes-by-renee-sleevless-smock-top.jpg
an empire line top that flairs away from the body with a jean trouser and wedge shoe....teamed with oversized jewelry and a funky cap

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
I am often horrified at what my fellow students wear. I'm nearly 2x their age, so I thought it had to do with that. I'll step my game up a little for the DR. Thanks Shalena y Hillbilly!!

So yeah if you're keeping tabs: gringa, "vieja" (para los jovenes de 18 a?os), y una grandota.

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
student demographics

Okay.
Most of the N.A. students (North American) dress like they were just getting out of bed. They are by far the worst dressed people on campus.
HB

Are there a lot of us N.A. students there? Do they enroll in the regular classes or in the foreigner program? Are they grimey gringas? Marvelous morenas? Divine dominicanitas de la di?spora?

jabuti

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Well some of the fashions u're going to see is lots of wedges, oversized blouses combined with skinnie jeans and the "Longchamp Paris" bag is a MUST, u'll see them everywhere in the campus...