Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renting a house

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Renting a house

Hello all

I'm going to rent a house in Dominican Republic (somewhere in north coast). I have seen much messages in this forum where was said that price to rent a house is near to $400/month. But when I tried to search house for rent on internet I was founding only houses for $600-800 (on English and Spanish sites). Could someone explain me how to find cheaper houses? I'm not looking for high class house, but I don't want it to be in barrio.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A house for $400 will be in a Dominican neighborhood or bario and you won't find them on the internet you'll need to go in person. Identify the area you want and go looking.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you mean looking locally?
    I just want to know what to expect and where to search before I came to the country.

I'm not against Dominican neighborhood (or should I?) but I want to avoid poor disctricts with their problems.
    I want to find some balance between price and safety/comfort.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

not a chance for 400US a month unless it is one bedroom apartment

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You should start at 200 on North coast.

Yanandu

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Upiter View Post
    Did you mean looking locally?
    I just want to know what to expect and where to search before I came to the country.

I'm not against Dominican neighborhood (or should I?) but I want to avoid poor disctricts with their problems.
    I want to find some balance between price and safety/comfort.
    You'll really need to go and look around, get comfortable with the neighborhood and the prices. I've rented in Puerto Plata and Sosua and there are neighborhoods that are good but you won't find them on the internet you've got to go out and look.

Moderator Living Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yanandu View Post
    You should start at 200 on North coast.

Yanandu
    Sometimes your posts are a bit silly and far fetched but this one is absolute bunkum!!

8. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There are nice properties for rent in POP, Sosua, Cabarete and between but you need to visit them in order to see for yourself if they meet your criteria and if the neighborhood appeals to you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not rent anything before you have inspected the property personally. Its a gamble.

11. Likes Reese liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

$400 is just about 15,000 pesos, enough to rent a pretty nice 3 BR/2BA house or apartment in a decent, reasonably safe Dominican neighborhood in Santiago, I assume in POP as well. I've seen listings in Sosua (Perla Marina, La Mulatta, Cerros, etc) starting around $500 USD/month. Keep in mind that it will be unfurnished and here that means without kitchen appliances (stove, refrigerator), inverter, washing machine, a/c, etc...sometimes even hot water heater and ceiling fans...you need to purchase those yourself.

Also don't forget to budget for water, cooking gas, electric, cable, internet, etc...

You will likely have to pay 1 extra month's rent as the realtor's commission and may require the signature of a Dominican co-signer (Fiador), and at least 1-2 months security deposit.

As has been said, it's easier to find these listings when you are physically here, and you need to inspect them and check out the neighborhoods they are in. There are some Dominican websites similar to craigslist that have listings for these type rentals...the Remax/Coldwell Banker type websites usually don't list these...

13. Likes mountainannie, DMV123 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast