Renting a house

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
Hello all

I'm going to rent a house in Dominican Republic (somewhere in north coast). I have seen much messages in this forum where was said that price to rent a house is near to $400/month. But when I tried to search house for rent on internet I was founding only houses for $600-800 (on English and Spanish sites). Could someone explain me how to find cheaper houses? I'm not looking for high class house, but I don't want it to be in barrio.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
A house for $400 will be in a Dominican neighborhood or bario and you won't find them on the internet you'll need to go in person. Identify the area you want and go looking.

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
Did you mean looking locally?
I just want to know what to expect and where to search before I came to the country.

I'm not against Dominican neighborhood (or should I?) but I want to avoid poor disctricts with their problems.
I want to find some balance between price and safety/comfort.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Did you mean looking locally?
I just want to know what to expect and where to search before I came to the country.

I'm not against Dominican neighborhood (or should I?) but I want to avoid poor disctricts with their problems.
I want to find some balance between price and safety/comfort.

You'll really need to go and look around, get comfortable with the neighborhood and the prices. I've rented in Puerto Plata and Sosua and there are neighborhoods that are good but you won't find them on the internet you've got to go out and look.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
There are nice properties for rent in POP, Sosua, Cabarete and between but you need to visit them in order to see for yourself if they meet your criteria and if the neighborhood appeals to you.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
$400 is just about 15,000 pesos, enough to rent a pretty nice 3 BR/2BA house or apartment in a decent, reasonably safe Dominican neighborhood in Santiago, I assume in POP as well. I've seen listings in Sosua (Perla Marina, La Mulatta, Cerros, etc) starting around $500 USD/month. Keep in mind that it will be unfurnished and here that means without kitchen appliances (stove, refrigerator), inverter, washing machine, a/c, etc...sometimes even hot water heater and ceiling fans...you need to purchase those yourself.

Also don't forget to budget for water, cooking gas, electric, cable, internet, etc...

You will likely have to pay 1 extra month's rent as the realtor's commission and may require the signature of a Dominican co-signer (Fiador), and at least 1-2 months security deposit.

As has been said, it's easier to find these listings when you are physically here, and you need to inspect them and check out the neighborhoods they are in. There are some Dominican websites similar to craigslist that have listings for these type rentals...the Remax/Coldwell Banker type websites usually don't list these...

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
I understand that I should see house before renting it, but how should I search for rental propositions?
I've tried only one way to search - looking at real estate sites.

So, how to search? first look at propositions over internet and in newspapers ads, collect adresses and go to see them or take a car and drive, drive, drive and look for signboards "For Rent"/"Para Alquilar" until I find it?
If second, how to select disctricts to look for?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
$400 is just about 15,000 pesos, enough to rent a pretty nice 3 BR/2BA house or apartment in a decent, reasonably safe Dominican neighborhood in Santiago, I assume in POP as well. I've seen listings in Sosua (Perla Marina, La Mulatta, Cerros, etc) starting around $500 USD/month. Keep in mind that it will be unfurnished and here that means without kitchen appliances (stove, refrigerator), inverter, washing machine, a/c, etc...sometimes even hot water heater and ceiling fans...you need to purchase those yourself.

Also don't forget to budget for water, cooking gas, electric, cable, internet, etc...

You will likely have to pay 1 extra month's rent as the realtor's commission and may require the signature of a Dominican co-signer (Fiador), and at least 1-2 months security deposit.

As has been said, it's easier to find these listings when you are physically here, and you need to inspect them and check out the neighborhoods they are in. There are some Dominican websites similar to craigslist that have listings for these type rentals...the Remax/Coldwell Banker type websites usually don't list these...

It brings a smile to my face reading that David.
We rented recently a house, inspected it from top to bottom, found everything alright, nice neighborhood, just what we wanted, paid the deposit and the extra months rent. Two bathrooms fully equipped with cold and hot water taps, kitchen also fully equipped. First evening after moving wanted to take a nice warm shower so turned on the hot water heater switch in the house (had red light in it so was ON)...to discover that only cold water was coming out of the taps. Oh well, no problem we thought, probably just another switch that needs to be turned on, so called the housekeeper...to discover that there was no hot water heater...still learning every day :)

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Well my friend among others rents out apartments to Gringos.
About 1mile to beach but with plenty of up-market villas and Gringo stores nearby.
He can't get more than 200 / month.
Deposit is required.
Ysnandu

So do not overpay and don't pay commissions

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Have you visit the DR already? You stay so vague about what you are looking for and where...somewhere along the North Coast...thats a looong way and many many different angles to look at.

all is lost

Nov 18, 2006
I live on the North (forgotten) west coast, and you can rent a 2 bedromm house with furiture for about $150us, elect $20us ,water $5us cable $5000dr internet $50us. There are no bad barrios, walk anywere anytime day or night.
Also the best anchorage in the north coast, Luperon is inferrior. Looking for more WT so if interessted send a letter on the back of a $5000us bank check to my mail box. OH Sh-- we don't have mail service so come visit bring enough for beers.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
well all is herd from looks like you have been around for a long time and not had to much to say. do tell of this anchorage.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
You should have no trouble finding a really nice unfurnished apartment (not house) for US$400 in Puerto Plata but pay attention to all of DavidZ's caveats.

To find one, walk the streets in your chosen area and look for the Se Renta or Para Alquilar signs. I would suggest Torre Alta and the streets just off the Malec?n for starters.

Don't waste your time with realtors or websites, but you will need to find a competent lawyer when it is time to sign up and that is easier said than done.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well my friend among others rents out apartments to Gringos.
About 1mile to beach but with plenty of up-market villas and Gringo stores nearby.
He can't get more than 200 / month.
Deposit is required.
Ysnandu

If he cannot get more than $200 bucks in LT it is for a reason... either the place is designed badly.. with apartments which are way too small .. which is a fault that some Europeans made when building in LT.. they seem to love to live like hamsters in a cage.. OR the place has no security.. OR the road, or the climb into it is too steep.. OR the management is bad.

There are little places in LT designed for people who are there and working in the shops.. etc.. and a few very nice affordable houses within walking distance to the beach.. BUT most all of the good ones have long ago been rented to very good tenants.

So do not overpay and don't pay commissions

If he cannot get more than $200 bucks in LT it is for a reason... either the place is designed badly.. with apartments which are way too small .. which is a fault that some Europeans made when building in LT.. they seem to love to live like hamsters in a cage.. OR the place has no security.. OR the road, or the climb into it is too steep.. OR the management is bad Or is right next to a blasting colmado... or.. the roof leaks.. or there are rats or or or or

There are little places in LT designed for people who are there and working in the shops.. etc.. and a few very nice affordable houses within walking distance to the beach.. BUT most all of the good ones have long ago been rented to very good tenants.