Costambar

Candy Man

May 4, 2011
Hi,Long time lurker,first time poster. Any body till me why no water in Costambar?? Thinking about moving there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it may depend on where you are in costambar. we had no water delivered for a while (few weeks, maybe) but last week it started coming and now our cisterna is full.
if you want to move to the apartment building you are pretty much f***ed up because there will be plenty of other people using water and there will be problems with getting folks to pay for a water truck. unless, of course, all those things are taken care of by the building owner.
we live in a house with our own, rather large, cistern. there is only two of us so we do not use all that much water but i check the level once a week to see if everything is fine.
problems with water were caused, i think, by the draught, this year it has been very dry. but it has been raining so things are back to normal.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
i have lived here full time for 3 years and always have water, it depends on which part of town you live in.... do your homework and you will be fine.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will also add this: we have water all the time. even when CORAAPLATA did not deliver for some time the level in our cistern dropped to about half. but our next door neighbours constantly have to buy water. there are also only two of them but they have a pool. i am not sure wheteher it makes such a difference.
in any case, before you move in ask to see the cistern and check the water level. and do not forget to drop a chloro pill down there every now and then in order to clean the water. you will not be able to drink it, of course, but it will be safer to wash.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Many places in Costambar - our apartment & business included - have a well. This way you guarantee water & it is cheaper than buying it by the truckload.

Typical cost for a well & pump system is RD60,000 to RD120,000 depending on how high above sea level you are.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
it may depend on where you are in costambar. we had no water delivered for a while (few weeks, maybe) but last week it started coming and now our cisterna is full.
we live in a house with our own, rather large, cistern. l.

By cistern do you mean the type that you see up on the roof to catch rainwater and to store water as a backup? I often stay at a house just outside of Costambar and they have this system I'm referring to...and the owner says it holds enough water to last several weeks. They have backup power as well. You need that in this area because the power is off more than it's on...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, cistern is like a covered pool: big cement box under the earth that stores huge amount of water.
thingy on a roof is called tinaco and stores smaller amount of water. it is pumped from the cistern to tinaco on the roof so that when there is no power a house would still have water - it comes down by the forces of gravity and there is no need for the use of water pump (that eats up lots of electricity).
power in costambar is indeed very bad so you will need inversor. they say edenorte is connecting us to the 24/7 power but it's not gonna happen soon. and in any way i believe it when i see it.