Fast & Reliable Internet Connection in Cabarete / Working Remotely

joshuacabarete

May 6, 2011
I posted this in the "North Coast" section, and since this is my first post here, I wasn't sure what would be the best section, so here goes....

I am looking for feedback, information, and advice about about working staying somewhere with an extremely reliable and fast internet connection so I can work remotely from Cabarete. I work for a software company located in Montreal, Canada. The software is a flash-based application and I'll need to connect to our server via VPN.

Ideally I'd like to stay at or near Kite Beach, or anywhere that's around Cabarete. Preferably on or near beach, affordable, and of course has a work space and internet connection so I can work in confidence.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how I can make this happen in July this year?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
As far as I know, the most reliable and fastest connection available will be the Orange Flybox with a 25GB contract. They promise you 7,5MB/sec which you will never get but between 2 and 3MB/sec is normal. This plan will cost you cc. RDS 2800/month. If you can get an ADSL line from Claro, this could be another solution but I never heard that they get those speeds.
Orange asks for a 12 months contract with you just paying a deposit of one month and an additional one month in advance. Claro will sell you an 18 month contract if your credit is approved.

Kite beach wifi (Claro) is not really to good, don't know about Orange. Look more towards Cabarete if possible.

Orange Dominicana ™ - m?vil
Claro -Rep?blica Dominicana

joshuacabarete

May 6, 2011
Thanks for your response. I'm just going to be working for 1, maybe 2 weeks, so a contract won't do me any good. I'd like to look into moving down there but keeping my job and working remotely, but that's another ballgame altogether.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
You can buy a 3G USB stick from Orange (~40-50 USD) and just pay the daily rate of about 130 pesos (3.5 USD, includes taxes). No contract needed. 2 megabit per second or so on download *if you get a good signal*. The closer you are to the beach, the worse the signal level - it's impossible to tell beforehand. I once had to change the condo I was staying in in Perla Marina just because there was no signal at all. With the daily rate only 1GB of data transfer is included, after that they may degrade the service.

If you are staying in Cabarete, wifi in El Magnifico is excellent - not sure what speed they have but it was the best I experienced anywhere in the country (the bar is pretty low though).

PeachNuts

Aug 1, 2012
I am struggling to maintain a VPN connection through a router with a Claro SIM Card. If anyone knows any tricks on how to do this, please let me know