CEPM rates up almost 20% since February!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Just got my electric bill! WTF! It's over 12,000 pesos. Granted I've run the A/C a teeny bit more than usual and have been doing a lot of baking... but still. This is crazy. My immediate thought was someone stealing the electricity but after looking at the bill I realize they've raised their rates almost 20% over the past couple of months.

Even still, it's less than what I used to pay in Sint Maarten so I guess I won't complain too much.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That means that an apartment that makes the most of cross-breezes and line-drying our clothes saves us over 10,000 pesos a month.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Yes, CEPM's rate is high, the benefit is you receive power 24/7 with very few exceptions and rapid line maintenance.

PJT's household electric use is about 2,000 pesos / mo. The 2 level 3 bdrm villa has vented windows to allow the breezes to circulate all the time with the use of fans when necessary to maintain a pleasant comfort level. It was a decision when the villa was constructed to omit a/c, it was a wise choice. The norm for this villa is line drying, on demand hot water and stove fueled by propane. The propane use is about 500 pesos / mo.

Regards,

PJT

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
As already mentioned, at least you have power 24/7 in Punta Cana. I could just not get used to the power going out in Santo Domingo and dealing with your inverter, its batteries, its charge, etc., etc.

Punta Cana offers a penetrating sun that dries clothing in no time a a comfortable sea breeze that mixes well with fans in your home. If you use A/C, you just have to pay.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
How much is the Kw/h rate ?
(curious to know if it is as expensive as Luz&Fuerza in Las Terrenas)

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
CEPM charges 13.06/kWh. When I moved here 2 years ago it was 10.14/kWh.

I work from home and have several computers with very large monitors and other miscellaneous electronics running 24/7. My partner and I also do a lot of cooking/baking so the electric stove and oven get used daily. There are generally 2 ceiling fans and about 3 standing fans running all the time. Hot water is used on demand and then only sparingly. A/C is only used for a few hours at night in the master bedroom and occasionally during the day in my office in the super hot months (otherwise I'm so sticky work papers stick to my arms and my finger can't move on my computers trackpad). Guess it's just the price to pay for living in "paradise".

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Our light bill has remained the same since the last increase a couple of years ago. I would expect they have raised the tariff for higher consumptions to a punitive level. My bill runs between RD1800 and RD22000 throughout the year with the higher consumption being in the summer where we have the fans on all night. At this point we cut them on intermittently when it gets hot. BTW, I don't tell my kids or wife they can't cut the fan on when they want (except in Winter because we all get sick) but only to cut them off when not in the room. Even in summer though the fans don't generally get cut on until around 8 pm because we have a large concrete house and we close the shades on the sun side during the day. It keeps the house surprisingly cool. At the worst in July it is quite hot up until 12 pm when the cool mountain breeze makes enough effect and sometimes I may take two showers during the day to cool off.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Just got my electric bill! WTF! It's over 12,000 pesos. Granted I've run the A/C a teeny bit more than usual and have been doing a lot of baking... but still. This is crazy. My immediate thought was someone stealing the electricity but after looking at the bill I realize they've raised their rates almost 20% over the past couple of months.

Even still, it's less than what I used to pay in Sint Maarten so I guess I won't complain too much.[/QUOT

you are baking in an electric oven? no gas one?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Our light bill has remained the same since the last increase a couple of years ago. I would expect they have raised the tariff for higher consumptions to a punitive level. My bill runs between RD1800 and RD22000 throughout the year with the higher consumption being in the summer where we have the fans on all night. At this point we cut them on intermittently when it gets hot. BTW, I don't tell my kids or wife they can't cut the fan on when they want (except in Winter because we all get sick) but only to cut them off when not in the room. Even in summer though the fans don't generally get cut on until around 8 pm because we have a large concrete house and we close the shades on the sun side during the day. It keeps the house surprisingly cool. At the worst in July it is quite hot up until 12 pm when the cool mountain breeze makes enough effect and sometimes I may take two showers during the day to cool off.

Oops I meant to say we spend up to RD2200 a month. BTW, our consumption is around 325-390kw a month.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
18,70RD$ per Kw/h in Las Terrenas (around 14 in some parts of the village)...
Down here, luz is indeed a luxury item :(

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Ah HA!! So it's YOU!!!!!

I've heard rumors for years that there was a person that actually used an electric stove here in the DR, but I always discarded them as being too crazy to be true.

Still the rumors persisted, and now, I find that it's really true!!! AMAZING!!

Just one question: How does it feel to be filthy rich?

Hmmm... most of the new condos I looked at here in Bavaro have electric cooktops/ovens. It wasn't so much by choice but the only option.

Oh... and being filthy rich? Feels awesome. I work my ass off but it affords me great privileges.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
We have a gas stove by choice in a New condo in Bavaro area...we will lug the 50 pounder back and forth or call a moto to haul it back n forth to get propane refilled...much more cost effective than paying for electric consumption....over time if you buy a gas stove in lieu of your electric stove you will save a lotta peso's...something to ponder

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a gas stove by choice in a New condo in Bavaro area...we will lug the 50 pounder back and forth or call a moto to haul it back n forth to get propane refilled...much more cost effective than paying for electric consumption....over time if you buy a gas stove in lieu of your electric stove you will save a lotta peso's...something to ponder

Not to mention that with the 'iffy' electric in most of DR I'd personally NEVER consider an electric stove.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wow. Electric stove. Amazing.

What's next? 24/7 central air conditioning?

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
They've already indicated they've got money to burn.

Actually, the ideal situation is to have two small tanks, and when one is empty, send it to refill, and connect the other. When the full one comes back, store it till you need it.

You need to fill a tank yourself, weigh it when you get home, and determine the "full" weight. When the motoconcho comes back with a "full" tank, confirm it with your scale, while he watches.

Then he'll know he can't pull a fast one on you by not filling it quite full.

We have a gauge on our tank that we brought with us from the US...no need to weigh the tank, we ask them to hook it back up and presto....the gauge tells us if he's an honest person:bandit:.....we also thought about getting the back up tank, that's our next purchase....thanks for looking out for a fellow Dr 1er though....