How are they doing this?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'm sitting here watching my bank get drained, I can't cancel my bank card as I can't get through to the bank on the international number. How are they using my card without my pin? This is torture!!! Every time I refresh another ?80 is gone which means they are withdrawing in 5000 pesos amounts somehow!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I'm sitting here watching my bank get drained, I can't cancel my bank card as I can't get through to the bank on the international number. How are they using my card without my pin? This is torture!!! Every time I refresh another ?80 is gone which means they are withdrawing in 5000 pesos amounts somehow!!

Just keep calling... the bank is going to have to absorb these losses..

WRITE THEM immediately.. there should be a contact us form on the bank page..

sorry for your troubles.. They must have your pin.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My banks have secure e-mails within thneir websites - as do most credit card companies- MtA is right --- get something in writing to them PRONTO.

Any time i have had this - albeit w/ credit cards- they have absorbed and fixed.

Currently my main credit card has been compromised, but only for Internet purchases.
We put a block on On-Line purchases to avoid renotifying all my accounts payable. Short term damage control.

They answer thiose e-mails within a day or two.

good luck

WW

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
man, you have had some bad luck lately! contact the bank asap, i imagine it it in the UK so just go on the contact page and call any of the 24/7 numbers and ask to be forwarded to a corresponding department. i have two accounts in english banks and i have to say they are exceptionally good in dealing with all the problems. i hope you have it sorted out!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You first need to call the number on the card and cancel it yesterday. Then of course report the crime and ask them the procedure to follow. This happens all of the time around the world.

BTW, I had US800 stolen a couple of years ago from a Bank of America account and didn't find out until two weeks after the event. After I reported the theft to the police and the bank it was all returned.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Can you quickly move the funds from your account to another one, so that there is nothing to withdraw from? I like to keep small balances on my checking accounts linked to bank cards to minimize the potential impact of a fraud like that, and then I go online and move whatever I need to withdraw before going to ATM.

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
I don't know if you are using your local cell or landline to try and call the UK but my suggestion would be to use a VOIP service such as skype or google talk to make the international call. I have had better luck that way with calling banks and insurance companies back home and it usually works out costing less.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
If you don't get through on telephone make a fax.
Cover page:
URGENT CARD FRAUD
in big letters.
Explain details.
Give dates and times you tried to contact them,
Give contact number.
Check your contact number works e.g. mobile.
Send from Codetel office and get fax receipt.
e.g. ok transmission.
Best of luck.

Yanandu.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I thought all banks in the uk had a 24 hour number these days--- e mail is another recent invention that might work

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I managed to get it cancelled after hours of trying, I wrote as soon a letter to them immediately but they don't normally pick those up for a couple of days. It was a debit account and so I doubt they'll cover the loss, but we'll see. I'm still baffled.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Had MONEY Taken From A Debit Card Account ON A Boston Acct.

Turns out it was withdrawn from a ATM on Wall Street in NYC!!
I only used the card to withdraw funds from here in SD,never in the USA.
Any body else "smell" a Dominican connection?
My bank sent me "paperwork",and refunded all the money.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Chase bank covered my losses and it was a debit account. The type of account should not matter. For me it was Banco Popular is Sosua and they must have had a man on the inside who got my pin number as I am pretty careful. Card was wiped clean in two transactions to a business in India. Now Chase bank sends me an email about every transaction over $125 US. The bank will refund the money, relax!!!!