Some People Have Bad Allergies In The Dominican Republic?

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
Hello:

I have heard that a person can get really bad allergies in the D.R. starting in April. Can anyone add anything to this and has anyone suffered from allergies in the D.R.? What have been your symptoms and are they pretty bad?

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Hello:

I have heard that a person can get really bad allergies in the D.R. starting in April. Can anyone add anything to this and has anyone suffered from allergies in the D.R.? What have been your symptoms and are they pretty bad?

This is true well in my case anyway. I have allergies and asthma and when I was in the states I never had problems like I have had here, my migraines were even out of control last month. My son's eyes were so red in school once they did not believe me when I told them it was allergies and he was fine they suggested I take him to the hospital right away because it had to be something else. My allergies cause my asthma to act up. Normally I just see the red eyes that look like you have been up for days or are on something. A friend of mine her kids always have runny noses.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I would think the city water supply is responsible for a lot of problems. My girlfriend never uses Cloro in the washing machine, but some of my cotton shirts come out looking as though they have been blasted with a shotgun, peppered with tiny holes like clothes moth damage. If the water supply can do that to our clothes, what can it do to our skins?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
When the mango's bloom it kills me but I can eat them no problem it is the pollen in the air. and the watter the best way to loos 20 pounds drink the tap watter ooooooo man you well be living in the bathroom.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would think the city water supply is responsible for a lot of problems. My girlfriend never uses Cloro in the washing machine, but some of my cotton shirts come out looking as though they have been blasted with a shotgun, peppered with tiny holes like clothes moth damage. If the water supply can do that to our clothes, what can it do to our skins?

WOW is that true? I have a bunch of clothes that have been ruined and have an ongoing fight with my cleaning lady. Are you also getting white spots? Do you have an American style washing machine where the tub rotates or something else?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I never had allergies before I came here. Then I came down with really brutal ones .. after I was at the binational fair for two weeks and the booth next to me was giving out 100s of pine seedlings. But I did not know what it was from. My eyelids felt like they had needles under them, runny nose, watery eyes. I had it in Washington DC and RI and my nephew surmised that it had to be pine since that was the only plant in common. I LIVED on Claritin... and had to call everyone that I knew who had allergies to apologize for not being more sympathetic.

They have gone away ... (wait, let me find some wood) .. maybe perhaps I used the old method of taking a table spoon of local honey for a year .. or maybe I am just used to them.

There is ALWAYS something in bloom here. It is really odd for those of us who are used to the seasons. One tree will be shedding its leaves and the trees next to it will be in bloom. I have yet to figure it out.

If you already have allergies and are coming here, I would advise bringing the generic Loratidin.. which you can get in bulk at Walmarts or CVS. I am sure that you can get it here but I have found that the common generics in huge bottles like Iburprophin are much cheaper in the States..

AND I really recommend the honey cure...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Foreigners who come here are exposed to things in the environment that their body has not built up resistance to. It is not surprising that allergies some didn't know they had flare up here.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
WOW is that true? I have a bunch of clothes that have been ruined and have an ongoing fight with my cleaning lady. Are you also getting white spots? Do you have an American style washing machine where the tub rotates or something else?
May not be her fault. In my previous dwelling I shared a washing machine and suffered the same problems. I assumed it was not rinsing out thoroughly chlorine used by other users but it now seems that may not have been the problem as I now have a brand new American style m/c that has never had Cloro in it.

Only a minority of clothes are affected so it may be reacting with something in their cloth or dye. Whole, white spots and big white blotches too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i never had allergies in poland and in the UK i developed nasty rash after drinking milk and eating oranges. i gues it was not the food itself but rather the crap put in it (or on it, in case of fruits).
in DR i had some cases of allergic rash on my neck but i cannot figure out what causes it. all i know is mometasona creams help so i always have it at home. i also have breathing problems due to A/C and fans. gosh, how i hate it.
what really kills me, however, is mirgania. i had some bad headaches in poland, none in the UK and major pains in the DR. i have to take up to 8 ibuprofens 800mg to get better. plus some other pills to relax the mucsles and calm me down. few times miesposo had to take me to the emergency for painkiller injections. i think my liver is not taking it all that well.

anyways, allergies. genetic loratadina is available in DR at 10 pesos a pill. cetrizina (the same stuff as zyrtec) at 7 pesos a pill. atarax (hydroxizina, same lab as zyrtec) is 10 pesos a pill. they all make you drowsy and they suck.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Since we have moved here from Florida we actually get less respiratory tract infections than we did in the States. I attribute that to the use of the AC in the States as we don't have it here. Since Santiago is a little drier than back home dust is an issue because we live in a rural area but as long as we don't cut the fan on in the Winter months we are ok.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Common Allergies

Allergies to "WORK" and "IRS" are very common here.
Olly

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
i never had allergies in poland and in the UK i developed nasty rash after drinking milk and eating oranges. i gues it was not the food itself but rather the crap put in it (or on it, in case of fruits).
in DR i had some cases of allergic rash on my neck but i cannot figure out what causes it. all i know is mometasona creams help so i always have it at home. i also have breathing problems due to A/C and fans. gosh, how i hate it.
what really kills me, however, is mirgania. i had some bad headaches in poland, none in the UK and major pains in the DR. i have to take up to 8 ibuprofens 800mg to get better. plus some other pills to relax the mucsles and calm me down. few times miesposo had to take me to the emergency for painkiller injections. i think my liver is not taking it all that well.

anyways, allergies. genetic loratadina is available in DR at 10 pesos a pill. cetrizina (the same stuff as zyrtec) at 7 pesos a pill. atarax (hydroxizina, same lab as zyrtec) is 10 pesos a pill. they all make you drowsy and they suck.

Migranes.. ewwwwww

no wonder you are cranky!

really... you need a rest.

This is a stress related condition, or at least the stress does not make it better.

you have to quit your job RIGHT AWAY

and be a sloth

and lie in hammock

and then, Christmas, you will have to go home to Poland to see your family, no? for the stress? no?

Tell your esposo that you simply CANNOT work any more but must be pampered... or else it will turn into a brain tumour.

Work it girl, work it...

have you tried Vicks?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
This is true well in my case anyway. I have allergies and asthma and when I was in the states I never had problems like I have had here, my migraines were even out of control last month. My son's eyes were so red in school once they did not believe me when I told them it was allergies and he was fine they suggested I take him to the hospital right away because it had to be something else. My allergies cause my asthma to act up. Normally I just see the red eyes that look like you have been up for days or are on something. A friend of mine her kids always have runny noses.

That's unfortunate. I have the opposite experience. I'm mainly allergic to pollen, ragweed, mold and dust and even though it's really moist in DR, I've never had a problem when I've been down at all times of the year. I did cough quite a bit from the exhaust fumes for the first couple days because of the type of fuel they use smokes a lot.....but other than that it's been great. I haven't even needed allergy meds and rarely used my puffers.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
That's unfortunate. I have the opposite experience. I'm mainly allergic to pollen, ragweed, mold and dust and even though it's really moist in DR, I've never had a problem when I've been down at all times of the year. I did cough quite a bit from the exhaust fumes for the first couple days because of the type of fuel they use smokes a lot.....but other than that it's been great. I haven't even needed allergy meds and rarely used my puffers.

Luckily different times of the season bring on different symptoms like winter months is when the asthma asks up and April is when my migraines were out of control. But the change of weather always did affect my migraines I could tell when it was going to be a bad rain storm cause I would get a migraine the day before. But I have found exederine here so all is right with the world again.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The DR is humid in the coastal areas but drier in some of the interior areas like Santiago. My sinuses are a lot better off here than back in the US because of no ac.

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
Horrible mold problems

Many houses have terrible mold problems. My allergies were awful in the DR, although, like some have said, not in the drier areas like Santiago.

I had skin problems too- mostly heat rash and those types of reactions.

i have to take up to 8 ibuprofens 800mg to get better. plus some other pills to relax the mucsles and calm me down. few times miesposo had to take me to the emergency for painkiller injections. i think my liver is not taking it all that well.

I believe the limit is 4000mg pr 24hour when it comes to how much your liver and kidney can process without taking serious damage. You should try to find other ways for getting painrelief. I have serious pain in my back, so i know how difficult it is to stay under this 4000mg limit.

I had a female friend when i was younger who also suffered from very heavy migrena, she used to smoke marijuana to keep the chemical/medicine consume as low as possible. This had very good effect on her headache she told me, but i have no migrena, so i cant tell if this works.