Western Caucasians Scammed, Threatened, Sued in the D.R.?

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
Western Caucasians Scammed, Threatened, Sued in the D.R. and always subjected to higher Prices?

I have heard that if a person is white and looks like they have come from the U.K., the U.S., Canada or other countries that have traditionally been perceived of as being rich, then quite a few (but not all) people living in the D.R. are very likely to sue them or set them up to pay off a threat (some criminals have elaborate schemes to set someone up with the police offering a helping hand for a payment of course) and Dominicans on average always subject these white foreigners to higher costs with the mindset: FOREIGNERS NEED TO PAY MORE THAN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC NATIVE BORN PERSON.

Those of you who live in the D.R. please tell me about your experiences with the above approaches to foreigners in the D.R. by SOME Dominicans but not all Dominicans of course. What has been your experiences?

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
This does not just apply to the color of a persons skin if they think you are not from the country PERIOD they will try and get over on you. Actually you can be from the country and if they think you are stupid or naive they try it too.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This does not just apply to the color of a persons skin if they think you are not from the country PERIOD they will try and get over on you. Actually you can be from the country and if they think you are stupid or naive they try it too.

Most especially in the tourist areas. Even Dominicans living abroad that come back are expected to pay premium rates. buyer beware - this is a bartering culture.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
They will try you every chance you get. I don't know if you read my thread a couple of years ago with the police coming to my house in the madrugada. Basically they want money to "protect" me, they scared me to death for a little bit and I did not handle the beginning of the harassment very well but eventually I learned the ropes, got the right people involved, and they left me alone. Whenever I caught a taxi that was not my regular chofer, I had them take me to my destination and then call the base for the price. I have a very good Dominican accent and look Dominican (when my hair is not off the chain) , if I was going to go somewhere where I thought I might get scammed, I made sure I knew what I was going to say or ask for before hand so that I don't use a lot of "uh"s. I was usually safe that way, unless I took my kids who would start into a chorus of "Lean Back" by Fat Joe, and then it was all over.....LOL

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we are not concerned about being PC here. "western caucasians"? just write "gringos", for the love of god.
and yes, we pay more but it's the same in every other tourist destination in the world - turistas always pay more. i often have to say "pero dame precio dominicano, tigre" when paying for something and i haggle.
call me stingy but i do not like to overpay.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
If you talk,act,walk like a tourist, you will be asked to pay more for somethings. Here is a suggestion..If you think you are being asked to pay too much for something, just walk away. In all my years in the DR, I have never been threatened, scammed, conned, or intimidated by anyone. You set the ground rules, not the other party. True, sometimes you have to haggle over prices, but that is the same everywhere, even on 5th Avenue. If you are visiting the DR, dont let anyone scare you. Just come doen and enjoy yourself.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
It is always worth remembering that the gringo may be 100 times richer than a Dominican. Better to be generous in transactions.
There are scams in all societies. Have a sense of humor. Ask the price - be hesitant - remember to allow time for negotiation if the transaction is for a large amount - keep your word even if the person you are dealing with does not keep theirs - something is late or something.
If you order something to be delivered reserve some payment for when delivery / work is complete.
Go to established people with good reputation.
Overpay a little for good service.
If its important write a brief note as to what is to be achieved, price, delivery, payments and get the vendor to co-sign.
Keep a copy. If possible have a witness to the final transaction.
Maybe a sketch as to what you want.
Take your time.
Show interest in family etc. Better to deal with someone established in community.
Occasionally in all countries you come across really desperate people. Far better to keep control, give in and you walk away minus a few dollars or something.
I remember in another country taking a taxi; this guy took us to a really remote location at high speed then wanted $$$ to return to civilization!
Far better to pay up and then report the matter.
Remember that in New York, Miami, London just insurance against theft from your house etc. may be $$$ a month.
In Miami they used to give you a little map showing red areas where you couldn't take a hire car.
Not a good idea to be too ostentatious.
just my ideas.
Yanandu.

canadaborn

May 7, 2011
I think this is my first post at this site so here goes! The two price system is alive and well here. Step out of line in any situation and you will find yourself dealing with the harsh realities of the dominican system. You just can not beat them no matter how unjust it may seem. I have had to cut several deals and accept many losses in order to live here. The lawyers take their share and the scams and scammers are everywhere. For example I was stopped in a traffic lineup about 10 feet behind a full sized 4x4 jepeta in the middle of the day minding my own, not bothering anybody. The jepeta moved forward a bit and since I was already in park I just sat there. He reversed at full speed possible and rammed me. Just wrecked my toyota corolla. He spook english well and just wanted me to go to AMET and report the accident. I had a meeting to go to so said i would go later that day. He called me on my cell several times urging me to go to the police and even informed of where the office was. I never did go and just repaired my car on my own for about 12000 pesos. The scam would have been him claiming I ran into him because thats what it looked like and only my and my wife's word to oppose it. He was just too eager to have me go to AMET and anyways dominicans do not pay for damages to your car in any accident with or without insurance so that's life here. I have learned not to lend money, they just never pay it back and even with a guaranty like the title to a house is not good enough because the title might be false. Also in Sosua my high blood pressure pills are 1400 and in puerto plata only 400. Welcome to paradise.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
The gringo tax question as other posters have said is alive and well. The longer you live there, the better you are at detecting it.

I think of scams as entirely different things. Based on recent posts it may be more typical for a foreigner living long term to report being robbed from apartment/home, electricity theft from neighbor, billing issues that become impossible to resolve, and increasingly identity theft type problems, credit cards, pin numbers, bank accounts etc. The scam as canadaborn reported happens frequently and probably more to those that drive nicer SUV's, (as opposed to being a passenger) and recently a gang of thieves targeting tourists (including returning Dominicans as they usually have more luggage) leaving the Las Americas airport was caught. Many of these are certainly crime, not necessarily "scams".

I'm interested in hearing about the "set-up" scenario as you suggested, in my experience that way is not that common, but can happen if the opportunity arises (a gringo appears). And if you are there as a tourist, it's the typical pick pocket/ purse snatching, hooker issues.

Gosh, I love the DR, and just made it seem much more unsafe than it is.

I hate to set off some bad kharma, but in thinking about this, I'm surprised that more of getting robbed the thug way at ATM's doesn't happen like in the US, nor the ATM randsoms as in Mexico.

Also the suing with foreigners is usually more established people that result over business, or property issues. Oh yeah, and then the paternity demands.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Compared to the average Dominican you are a millionaire so why would they not see you as such. They aint blind. You know you got the money. Why not spread it around, after all you are on vacation and they are poor.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Western Caucasian?

Nothing to add to what is posted about price differentials and scamming as it has been well and accurately covered.

But what is with the "Western Caucasian"? I guess you don't mean Georgians, Armenians, Chechens, etc?

It is a totally ridiculous term which I thought had gone out of use decades ago. Firstly, it is based on hopelessly outdated anthropological theories not a million miles away from the rubbish the Nazis propagated. Secondly, even according to those theories the vast majority of people included were non-white as it also covered most of the peoples of North Africa, West, Central and South Asia, and I am sure that is not what you meant to say.

Use "gringo" and be aware that black and Asian tourists are just as likely to encounter the same price-gouging treatment.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I think this is my first post at this site so here goes! The two price system is alive and well here. Step out of line in any situation and you will find yourself dealing with the harsh realities of the dominican system. You just can not beat them no matter how unjust it may seem. I have had to cut several deals and accept many losses in order to live here. The lawyers take their share and the scams and scammers are everywhere. For example I was stopped in a traffic lineup about 10 feet behind a full sized 4x4 jepeta in the middle of the day minding my own, not bothering anybody. The jepeta moved forward a bit and since I was already in park I just sat there. He reversed at full speed possible and rammed me. Just wrecked my toyota corolla. He spook english well and just wanted me to go to AMET and report the accident. I had a meeting to go to so said i would go later that day. He called me on my cell several times urging me to go to the police and even informed of where the office was. I never did go and just repaired my car on my own for about 12000 pesos. The scam would have been him claiming I ran into him because thats what it looked like and only my and my wife's word to oppose it. He was just too eager to have me go to AMET and anyways dominicans do not pay for damages to your car in any accident with or without insurance so that's life here. I have learned not to lend money, they just never pay it back and even with a guaranty like the title to a house is not good enough because the title might be false. Also in Sosua my high blood pressure pills are 1400 and in puerto plata only 400. Welcome to paradise.

You would most likely find the same price difference between Canada and US for pills. It depends who the chemists suppler is generic/non-generic etc.

There are many but different scams in various countries.

Lending money is never a good idea unless you can afford to loose it. People in this business assess risk carefully and charge accordingly. They have a network of contacts in the community and inquire accordingly.
Generally Dominicans borrow from relatives first.

Even in the UK/Canada you are not always repaid. Lending money is for banks, pawnbrokers etc.

By the way in the DR you will find gringos who do not repay as well.

Do due due diligence on any title.

Yanandu.

Mr.smith

Mar 8, 2011
I usually stay silent on the forums. It has nothing to do with skin color. You're a westerner so you must be rich. I spent 2 years in iraq, currently in afghan, and been to other middle eastern countries. Its all the same. Its a local price and a westerner price. By the way I'm a black man and native people don't descriminate between me or my white counter parts. They try to hustle all foreigners. Whites may appear to be targeted more because most dominicans can't tell if the black guys are hatains or americans. But as soon as the black guy opens his mouth with his american accent then he's fair game like everyone else.

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Im a true Gringo. Blonde Hair blue eys and fair skin but I have one thing going for me Im fluent in Spanish but dont let many of the hustlers know until they pizz me off. Example. Went to ferteria Chapman on Charles De Guale. Only reason I ended up there is because the vera phone wasnt working at many of the closer stores. Finishing the techo on houses in Los Mameys and I needed supplies. Anyways supplies came to 12K pesos. For one I dont carry that much on me in dollars in the US and dont think many Dominicans carry that much on them in DR. Ordered supplies and was told the price was higher because use of credit card. Had my Dominican wife and Brother in Law with me so didnt think I was getting shafted too bad. Supplies were to be delivered. 1st day some but not all were delivered. wife calls and they say rest in pm. PM comes and no supllies. Wife calls and get expalnation and says to the secretary "ok mi amor" Next morning more supplies come but not all. Get same song and dance again. By now Im getting tires of my wife being nice. On the third day more supplies but not all. I had enough and got a ride to the store and let loose in Spanish. Asked them how they would feel if they were in US and got treated the same way. To say the least they were surprised at my spanish and in 10 minutes truck was loaded and supplies delivered. Mind you this was at 445pm on the third day. Close to closing time for most. Sometimes you dont have to play all of your cards. Helps to be stearn but polite and know the language. Also street smart sometimes gets you a long way.

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Another thing is to observe your surroundings carefully. While fixing the houses I noticed a pawn shop. Curiosity got the best of me. Everyday good looking women would go in look at a paper and then hop on the back of a moto in the morning to return in the afternoon.. Never saw anything getting pawned. Finally I asked my BL what was going on. He said the ladies were looking at the tourist schedule and would get close to the men. They would either pick pocket or create a diversion so someone could rob the tourist. Just by observation I knew something wasnt right. Observe your surroundings and you will see many of the tricks that go on.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i am fully aware that gringos are like a target for locals, who think of all manner of creative methods to loot foreigners. but, guess what? even though i have been a victim on many occasions, keep the Kleenex. i will be shedding no tears. the gate swings both ways. gringo comes here to maximise his benefits, at the expense of the locals. i know one millionaire who has not given his housekeeper a raise in 10 years. she is still making 2500 pesos per quincennal. yes, folks, somewhere around the princely sum of a dollar an hour. day before yesterday, i saw the local police throwing a guy in the back of a car, off to the hoosegow. seems he had picked up two ladies of easy virtue, spent a night with them, then refused to pay up come morning. there is a lot of that going on, and if many gringos get the chance to exploit, abuse, and plain do wrong by these people, they surely will.some do not see them as being their equals. they are some quaint people from some undeveloped little country, who should be satisfied with a bowl of rice, and a sliver of meat. a decent platter was intended by God to be served only to gringo. bawl away. i am not listening.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Yawning-fox-fox-11019795-600-404.jpg

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
It is so amazing how some people can say that because we are westerns, "we are rich" and "we can pay much", so then no problem about it!!

What an obscene thought. That is not a reason for paying higher prices in everything.

I have been in DR 5 times and this year I am moving there, and I am not going to accept that kind of scam. I have always asked for the "dominican price" and will go on that way.

I dont have any problem telling face to face to the one who wants to rip me off how moth...fu.. he is ...

I really cannot take that kind of behaviour in people.

And not only talking about tourists. What about westerns living there with dominican salary???? How they can deal with higher prices? Is that fair????

What a f ....

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
The big problem I see here is not just about the scamming to tourists. It is unfair matter, but at the end, it does not have much negative impact on them ... Scammed maybe with taxis, gifts, etc ...

But what about the westerns living there and trying to make their living with dominican salaries???? that is another story ...