Making a Living in the DR with Solar Energy...

Solarify

May 7, 2011
Hi all,

I'm a native Dominican in my early thirties and have a profound whish to go back to the DR and start a solar energy business in the next three years. Currently I live and work dual in London (UK) Amsterdam (NL) for an energy consultancy since I have spend most of my life in Europe. Have been back on three ocassions to the DR in the mid 90's Sto. Dgo. for a couple of years, spent time with local familiy and went to the DR sec. school to improve Spanish etc, then in 2005 for my UK masters dissertation in renewable energy and recently in 2008-2009 while working for a local solar company in the POP region. My last episode was awesome, gained a lot of experience and skills but had to leave because money was running really low, stacked up some debts buying solar panels for family and my local wages were just not up to much.

Nonetheless I love the place and have quite a good network (family and business) to start something up. I know it's unusual since most Dominicans look for a way out and don't really consider coming back unless its for holidays. However as most of you know the electricity situation in the DR has been a mess for the last 30 yrs. With the volatility of fossil fuel prices and solar PV getting cheaper the DR and Haiti for that matter have serious potential for solar. Big challenges for solar retail in DR are still cost of financing and security i.e. theft. On the side I have done some charity work providing Dutch development funds to install solar panels on a public school in Cabarete.

Was wondering if anyone on DR1 knows of young Dominican professionals who have returned to the DR from abroad to set up a business and what their experiences have been? I've been reading DR1 for some time and although many threads are not relevant for me i.e. sanky stories, scams, third world complaints it's a superb source of info on a variety of topics.

Thanks in advance!
Richard

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi all,

I'm a native Dominican in my early thirties and have a profound whish to go back to the DR and start a solar energy business in the next three years. Currently I live and work dual in London (UK) Amsterdam (NL) for an energy consultancy since I have spend most of my life in Europe. Have been back on three ocassions to the DR in the mid 90's Sto. Dgo. for a couple of years, spent time with local familiy and went to the DR sec. school to improve Spanish etc, then in 2005 for my UK masters dissertation in renewable energy and recently in 2008-2009 while working for a local solar company in the POP region. My last episode was awesome, gained a lot of experience and skills but had to leave because money was running really low, stacked up some debts buying solar panels for family and my local wages were just not up to much.

Nonetheless I love the place and have quite a good network (family and business) to start something up. I know it's unusual since most Dominicans look for a way out and don't really consider coming back unless its for holidays. However as most of you know the electricity situation in the DR has been a mess for the last 30 yrs. With the volatility of fossil fuel prices and solar PV getting cheaper the DR and Haiti for that matter have serious potential for solar. Big challenges for solar retail in DR are still cost of financing and security i.e. theft. On the side I have done some charity work providing Dutch development funds to install solar panels on a public school in Cabarete.

Was wondering if anyone on DR1 knows of young Dominican professionals who have returned to the DR from abroad to set up a business and what their experiences have been? I've been reading DR1 for some time and although many threads are not relevant for me i.e. sanky stories, scams, third world complaints it's a superb source of info on a variety of topics.

Thanks in advance!
Richard

I think solar has a great future here.. it is expensive to install but will pay off in the long run...

You might wish to contact my friend Manu who runs a solar company in LT.. good worker, honest, has lived here for ten years.. He can probably answer your questions and is looking to expand his business

Solar Energia Las Terrenas - Plomberie, electricit? et energies renouvelables en R?publique Dominicaine

I think solar energy is becoming an important part of our lives, it is one of the most important renewable energy sources thus far, besides wind. Me and my brother setup an small company in the DR to serve some customers and an small market, the DR solar market has not mature at all in the last 5 years IMO. Our projects includes ecological sites that are receiving assistance from foreign agencies and banks. As MN mentioned above, the solar option still expensive for the local market to expand, only few companies are actually doing business in the DR (I'm referring to well established businesses that include installation, support, and maintenance of large PV systems and applications).

If you want more details, send me a PM and can share some stories.

Solarify

May 7, 2011
Hi both Uglystorm and MN. Thanks a lot for your feedback. You are right that the DR solar market is struggling to move forward except for a handful of companies who serve a couple of niches. There have been a few good studies on how to develop this market and lessons learned from studies in other developing markets like Tanzania, Uganda, Bolivia, Vietnam, Bangladesh, India... where access to financing and affordable products are but a few of the mayor challenges and success factors. Although the DR has its own characteristics and despite the drama with the power cuts no company has yet been able to mass market PV, particularly in urban areas. I look forward to your experiences.
Many thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
I have heard there are some inexpensive solar panels now made in China. You may want to look into that and see if they are rally that cheap and whether it would be worthwhile to import them from there. The cost is very important consideration, so besides just installation you may want to consider additional services, such as insulation, etc. to provide to your customers in order to reduce energy requirements. Also there are other renewable energy sources, such as small water power plants (that I heard on radio are great success being installed by some NGO in Cibao region) so that might be another option. Wind turbines are also another option. Some time ago I saw some Chinese turbines on the Internet, 2 kW turbine for less than US$1000 with all materials, I do not know if they were for real and any good, but options are out there.

I think energy is great business if you've got experience and can line up some start-up financing, you should be doing good in the DR. But do no limit yourself just to solar energy, try to offer wider-scale of renewable energy sources for your customers.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
If you do it, PM me to discuss an estimate for my house. I lived solar and wind for more than 20 years, but can't find a cost-effective solution here in the DR. (PS: tropical sun, salt air and tropical storm threats make solar installations here problematic, not in the el.eng. sense, but for the physical installations.)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And, there is a lot of competition. A lot will boil down to money, money, money.
I once did a cost estimate and I would need to LAY OUT 7 years worth of electricity bills, say some 1.5 million DOP (estimate/guesstimate) just to install the system...that is a heavy outlay, with no positive assistance from government or the CDEEE.

This is the main reason why PV (which I take to mean Photo-voltaic??) is such a hard cell. You do not see people like Leon Jimenes or Codetel/Claro leading the way....Or, for that matter, any of the zona franca factories.

HB

Solarify

May 7, 2011
If you do it, PM me to discuss an estimate for my house. I lived solar and wind for more than 20 years, but can't find a cost-effective solution here in the DR. (PS: tropical sun, salt air and tropical storm threats make solar installations here problematic, not in the el.eng. sense, but for the physical installations.)

Hmm I don't know where you are located but last time I worked in the DR (2009) we performed some competitor analysis and there were a multitude of companies providing solar, wind, back up power solutions... From the ferreter?as like Ochoa, Hache that sell you only the hardware to the importers, resellers and installers. In the North POP area Soluz, Freddy Multiservice, the French in Las Terrenas, in Santiago Retecsa is king and in Sto. Dgo. Solar Mega and a few others. I expect most of them to be in business but always good to check first. It's quite a competitive business and any of the installing companies would be more than happy to give you a free quote. Good luck! http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/byP/solar/byGeo/byC/DomRep/DomRep.shtml

Last edited:

Solarify

May 7, 2011
I know what you mean man. Im not interested in competing with the established guys. No point to fight over a tiny piece of business. If this thing cannot be done on a mass scale why bother. People with money are already served.
However, you have to keep tracking these things. Check out this article by this kid Carlos Rymer. This was before the 2008 crisis but to give you an idea. Renewable Energy in LAC: The Dominican Republic Set To Lead ? It’s Getting Hot In Here Back in the day 2007 the new renewables ley 87-05 was implemented. When I was in the country it was only possible to get the 3 yr. 75% tax rebate on renewable energy investment for registered companies. However, they (Comision Nacional de Energia) are working on the feed-in tariffs and the distribution companies will make available double counting meters that can count what you feed into the grid. If everyone starts feeding into the grid the transmission lines might not cope but thats a separate discussion. Why corporate dominicana is not taking the lead is simple. Contrary to consumer facing companies in the US (Coca Cola, Unilever, Nike, HP, GE, WalMart) there is no pressure from consumers what so ever on Dominican businesses to become sustainable. So they have no urgency or incentives to adopt sustainable business practices. Besides many of those big Dominican businesses either don't pay electricity (own generation, theft) or have sweatheart deals with the distribution companies.

Last edited:

Solarify

May 7, 2011
And, there is a lot of competition. A lot will boil down to money, money, money.
I once did a cost estimate and I would need to LAY OUT 7 years worth of electricity bills, say some 1.5 million DOP (estimate/guesstimate) just to install the system...that is a heavy outlay, with no positive assistance from government or the CDEEE.

This is the main reason why PV (which I take to mean Photo-voltaic??) is such a hard cell. You do not see people like Leon Jimenes or Codetel/Claro leading the way....Or, for that matter, any of the zona franca factories.

HB

I know what you mean man. Im not interested in competing with the established guys. No point to fight over a tiny piece of business. If this thing cannot be done on a mass scale why bother. People with money are already served.
However, you have to keep tracking these things. Check out this article by this kid Carlos Rymer. This was before the 2008 crisis but to give you an idea. Renewable Energy in LAC: The Dominican Republic Set To Lead ? It’s Getting Hot In Here Back in the day 2007 the new renewables ley 87-05 was implemented. When I was in the country it was only possible to get the 3 yr. 75% tax rebate on renewable energy investment for registered companies. However, they (Comision Nacional de Energia) are working on the feed-in tariffs and the distribution companies will make available double counting meters that can count what you feed into the grid. If everyone starts feeding into the grid the transmission lines might not cope but thats a separate discussion. Why corporate dominicana is not taking the lead is simple. Contrary to consumer facing companies in the US (Coca Cola, Unilever, Nike, HP, GE, WalMart) there is no pressure from consumers what so ever on Dominican businesses to become sustainable. So they have no urgency or incentives to adopt sustainable business practices. Besides many of those big Dominican businesses either don't pay electricity (own generation, theft) or have sweatheart deals with the distribution companies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
May 8, 2011, 6:16 PM

Geder Group installs Solar powered system on first home disconnected from power grid to such end.

ED69ABF4-AD75-4324-B593-DE28A65878B3.jpeg

Santo Domingo .- The Enterprise Group Renewable Energy (Geder) installed the first "green house" of the country, which is receiving power through solar panels solely without being connected to the national grid, to distributors or other alternative system.

This is a 450 square meter house built in the residencial Cuesta Hermosa of this beautiful city, with seven rooms, studio, cinema, swimming pool, jacuzzi, garden irrigation system, central air conditioning and two electric kitchens.

The residence operates with 90 solar panels of 225 watts, with a generating capacity of 21.6 kilowatts per hour, plus six inverters of 3.6 kW and five 80-amp regulators.

During the day the "green house" receives direct light from the solar panels, while at night it feeds on the energy charged on the 48 units of gel batteries during the day.

"This system ensures that the home has permanent light, even if it lasts several days without sun," explained Gerhard Ehlert Guido Luciano, vice president of design and sales representative of the company Gedera.

The executive revealed that the system was installed at a cost of over RD $ 5 million, as each kilowatt solar costs about $ 5.000.

"However, the owners recover that investment in five years as a house with those characteristics would pay about RD $ 75.000 per month for electrical service," they said.

They said that this solar powered system lasts 40 years.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
forget it. leave your money in the bank. the big players will never let you. you will never be allowed to invent a better mousetrap in the DR. the nature of this country is that competition is a non starter. even if you can do it cheaper, and more efficiently, you will never be allowed to. i am aware of one guy who knows more about converting internal combustion engines to function on natural gas than anyone in the region. he did a cursory study, then shelved the idea. the guy is Dominican. go figure.

drcalgary

May 8, 2011
My husband (Dominican) and I saw the need for alternative power in the DR. there is always a lot of wind and sunshine. We import solar panels, wind turbines and other products like 12V refrideration units, etc. We started in Rio San Juan with a store front and warehouse. We also have a business outlet in Nagua where we do sales and installation. Last year we started manufacturing inverters/converters in Nagua. We buy products from China, and Tiawan, they will build anything to suit our needs. Last year my husband was in South Korea to grow our business and now he is in Manila, Phillipines. I am in Canada with our family and my brother-inlaw runs our DR business. Perhaps you could contact him via email, frankimportexport@hotmail.com

Solarify

May 7, 2011
My husband (Dominican) and I saw the need for alternative power in the DR. there is always a lot of wind and sunshine. We import solar panels, wind turbines and other products like 12V refrideration units, etc. We started in Rio San Juan with a store front and warehouse. We also have a business outlet in Nagua where we do sales and installation. Last year we started manufacturing inverters/converters in Nagua. We buy products from China, and Tiawan, they will build anything to suit our needs. Last year my husband was in South Korea to grow our business and now he is in Manila, Phillipines. I am in Canada with our family and my brother-inlaw runs our DR business. Perhaps you could contact him via email, frankimportexport@hotmail.com

Thanks for the info! Good to have some new contacts and exchange some stories.