need a real dominican club with dominican cheap transportation ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
I have a trip to Puerto Plata in late May and I would love to go to some clubs in town ...the issue is that "tourist taxis" are too expensive in the North Coast! ...where can I find a taxi driver that has an old taxi with no AC, broken window,door hanging from vehicle and has a a few flat tires? Lol ..... I know that gua guas are cheap but I need late night/early morning transportation to/from clubs ......also what are the best clubs in Puerto Plata that play real dominican music? I want a club that makes you feel that you are in fact in DR ...drinking presidente ,mama juana and dancing bachata ...thanks for the help!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Motos run night and day, 50-100 pesos to anywhere in Puerto Plata.

Hopefully they haven't been drinking as much as you, as they'll be transporting you and your "new friend" back to wherever you're staying.

Moral of the story: Spend the extra few pesos. Get home safely. The most expensive cab fare in town is way cheaper than a trip to the hospital.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have a trip to Puerto Plata in late May and I would love to go to some clubs in town ,,, also what are the best clubs in Puerto Plata that play real dominican music? I want a club that makes you feel that you are in fact in DR ... drinking presidente ,mama juana and dancing bachata ... thanks for the help!
Guaguas and publicos won't help you much as most clubs aren't on their routes. Standard fare for shortish taxi trips within Puerto Plata is 150 pesos but coming out of clubs late you might feel vulnerable waiting 10-15 minutes for your cab to turn up. The club might ring one for you for a propina. I always use motoconchos but if you don't feel confident riding them you don't have that option. Standard motoconcho fare for short trip late(ish) at night is 50 pesos rising to 100 pesos for cross-city trips.

Girlie bars with dancing include Babil?n, Fragrancia, Consulado, and Placer (these three next door to each other, squalid but fun and you wanted "authentic" - the toilets are horrendous!), the carwash formerly called Cubacana (now called something else). Dance halls include La Canita, El Caball?n, and Teraza Caribe (these three all a very short ride from each other), Rancho Tipico carwash. Ori?n and Enigma are more like nightclubs which play a lot of "international" disco music in addition to local stuff. You can dance inside El Bohen nightclub but if you are on a budget (as it appears you are) it is ridiculously expensive for drinks and women.

In all these places the music is played at deafening levels.

Don't drink too much and keep your wits about you! You will be a target.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the clubs that spring to mind are la canita (close to the port) and teraza caribe (kinda close to caribe tours). you don’t have to speak spanish to enjoy the atmosphere as the music is so loud it'd leave you permanently deaf. simply order a beer and feast your eyes on beasts that frequent those places. one of them is etched into my memory until the end of days... picture a two hundred pounds woman squeezed into golden tight panties, much like the ones supported by kylie in "spinning around" video but so small and fitting one could count every single hair on her beaver. panties were paired with gold bikini with veeery long strings that tied up the body making it looked like well cooked christmas ham. the look was finished with, what else, golden high heels with straps around the calf. i am sure the legs were amputated after that eventful night as the straps were so tight they must have cut the blood supply to the brain. on the other hand the blood supply for that particular brain must have been cut already, nothing else can explain the outfit. finish this with spiky red hair above the face only a mother could love and you'll have a typical la canita guest...

but alas, i digress. where was i? oh yes, the clubs. you can also try any of the carwashes, in DR they double as discos and brothels where you can get yourself sloshed with presidente and your tool sloshed around in whatever is hidden under golden panties of dominican beauties.

can't say anything about transport, i have a car. and i am not afraid to use it :)

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
Guaguas and publicos won't help you much as most clubs aren't on their routes. Standard fare for shortish taxi trips within Puerto Plata is 150 pesos but coming out of clubs late you might feel vulnerable waiting 10-15 minutes for your cab to turn up. The club might ring one for you for a propina. I always use motoconchos but if you don't feel confident riding them you don't have that option. Standard motoconcho fare for short trip late(ish) at night is 50 pesos rising to 100 pesos for cross-city trips.

Girlie bars with dancing include Babil?n, Fragrancia, Consulado, and Placer (these three next door to each other, squalid but fun and you wanted "authentic" - the toilets are horrendous!), the carwash formerly called Cubacana (now called something else). Dance halls include La Canita, El Caball?n, and Teraza Caribe (these three all a very short ride from each other), Rancho Tipico carwash. Ori?n and Enigma are more like nightclubs which play a lot of "international" disco music in addition to local stuff. You can dance inside El Bohen nightclub but if you are on a budget (as it appears you are) it is ridiculously expensive for drinks and women.

In all these places the music is played at deafening levels.

Don't drink too much and keep your wits about you! You will be a target.

Thanks! but like I will be staying in playa dorada, where can I take these cheap taxis at? ...where can I call? ....the option for the motoconcho is fine with me during the daytime at least .. But where can I take a motoconcho in the playa dorada area?

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
Also is there a club outside of the playa dorada complex down the road somewhere?(Not coco bongos or anything inside the complex) .. I will be staying at bluebay villas doradas by the way thanks

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
But where can I take a motoconcho in the playa dorada area?
They are not allowed into Playa Dorada and there is no point in catching one outside the gate as guaguas and publicos would be cheaper and safer on the long(ish) ride into town.

Thanks! but like I will be staying in playa dorada, where can I take these cheap taxis at?
Oh dear, you guys who want a "good time" but then stay in an AI are making it difficult for yourselves. AIs are designed to keep all tourist expenditure on site so first they warn you it is the "Wild West" outside the gates, then by banning cheap transport (city taxis and motoconchos) from entering make it expensive for you to escape from the gulag.

You have two options.

Firstly you can take an "approved" taxi from inside Playa Dorada and pay through the nose.

Secondly, you can walk down to the main gate and hail a guagua or publico into the city center (20 or 25 pesos respectively). Just where in the city center will depend on which venue you are heading for first, but either the Hospital or La Javilla are "transport hubs" where you change to a motoconcho, city taxi or different publico.

I understand why you might be more nervous riding a motoconcho at night, but it is at night that you will find them more useful when you don't want to be hanging around alone waiting for some other form of transport.

TechiTaxi is a taxi syndicate which has fixed prices and I have always found reliable. Last number I had for them is 809 320 7621. But I am pretty sure they are not allowed into Playa Dorada to pick up customers. (Perhaps someone else could confirm this?). Once you are outside the main gate you could ring them and ask them to take you direct to your chosen venue. But it would work out cheaper to make your own way into the town centre before ringing them.

Your problem will be returning late at night. Firstly you might have to wait 20/30 minutes depending how busy they are and how many cabs are working that night, and secondly I am not sure if they are allowed into Playa Dorada.

Really if you are staying in Playa Dorada you should forget all ideas of having real "Dominican fun" and be satisfied with playing on the beach with your bucket and spade by day and visiting their bland "internationalized" discos by night. That is what AIs are for.

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
They are not allowed into Playa Dorada and there is no point in catching one outside the gate as guaguas and publicos would be cheaper and safer on the long(ish) ride into town.

Oh dear, you guys who want a "good time" but then stay in an AI are making it difficult for yourselves. AIs are designed to keep all tourist expenditure on site so first they warn you it is the "Wild West" outside the gates, then by banning cheap transport (city taxis and motoconchos) from entering make it expensive for you to escape from the gulag.

You have two options.

Firstly you can take an "approved" taxi from inside Playa Dorada and pay through the nose.

Secondly, you can walk down to the main gate and hail a guagua or publico into the city center (20 or 25 pesos respectively). Just where in the city center will depend on which venue you are heading for first, but either the Hospital or La Javilla are "transport hubs" where you change to a motoconcho, city taxi or different publico.

I understand why you might be more nervous riding a motoconcho at night, but it is at night that you will find them more useful when you don't want to be hanging around alone waiting for some other form of transport.

TechiTaxi is a taxi syndicate which has fixed prices and I have always found reliable. Last number I had for them is 809 320 7621. But I am pretty sure they are not allowed into Playa Dorada to pick up customers. (Perhaps someone else could confirm this?). Once you are outside the main gate you could ring them and ask them to take you direct to your chosen venue. But it would work out cheaper to make your own way into the town centre before ringing them.

Your problem will be returning late at night. Firstly you might have to wait 20/30 minutes depending how busy they are and how many cabs are working that night, and secondly I am not sure if they are allowed into Playa Dorada.

Really if you are staying in Playa Dorada you should forget all ideas of having real "Dominican fun" and be satisfied with playing on the beach with your bucket and spade by day and visiting their bland "internationalized" discos by night. That is what AIs are for.
. So do u think techi taxi wil take me anywhere in puerto plata or susua/cabarete? ..... Do they run late at night? ... I have no problems with taking a taxi outside the gate in playa dorada or a gua gua or carro publico but I just want to make sure that I will be able to get back to my hotel. I also want to go to the sirena store and teleferico, will techi taxi or a motoconcho take me? ...I'm worried because I'm not going to have a phone on me! ....so how do I go about telling them when to pick me up? ....where near playa dorada can I connect a phone if I bring one from the U.S? ....thanks very much

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Back to your original post of a broken down taxi for hire. During the day, I would catch a publico in front of playa Dorada and take it into Puerto Plata. Get off at the main taxi stand at the Public Hospital. There are usually a dozen drivers hanging out, waiting to make a trip during the slow midday hours. Ask if any speak English (probably about 25%). Tell them you want to hire a car by the hour on such and such date. You should be able to negotiate a reasonable rate. They probably will have to pick you up and drop you off at the front-gate of Playa Dorada. This will take any fears about being stranded away and be pretty reasonable. I always hired the Munoz publicos drivers that travel from Munoz to Central Park as they were always looking for extra work at night as the Munoz publicos stop running at 8PM.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
That is the correct number for techni taxi. Yes they can take you anywhere for their published rates. Outside all the local clubs you can almost always find a taxi, or the motoconcho drivers will take you to a taxi late at night for 30 pesos! Don't worry too much about that. Also do not wait to leave the club till closing time, leave a bit earlier and it is easier to get a taxi.

At any club someone will help you find a taxi. Don't be too worried.

You can get a phone chip in the Playa Dorada plaza.

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
That is the correct number for techni taxi. Yes they can take you anywhere for their published rates. Outside all the local clubs you can almost always find a taxi, or the motoconcho drivers will take you to a taxi late at night for 30 pesos! Don't worry too much about that. Also do not wait to leave the club till closing time, leave a bit earlier and it is easier to get a taxi.

At any club someone will help you find a taxi. Don't be too worried.

You can get a phone chip in the Playa Dorada plaza.
. About how much is a phone chip in the playa dorada plaza? .... I have a blackberry curve, will a chip in DR work? ... Do I also buy some minutes at the playa dorada plaza? Thanks .....

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
So do u think techi taxi wil take me anywhere in puerto plata or sos?a/cabarete? ... Do they run late at night?
Yes, they will take you anywhere in Puerto Plata but if you take them to Sos?a it will be expensive (I would guess around 800 pesos and around 1000 to Cabarete). From your original post I understand that you wanted to avoid unnecessary expense. Outside the gate of Puerto Plata, cross to the other side of the road and take a publico to Sos?a (45 pesos). You would need to take a different publico on to Cabarete (35 pesos). Or catch the Rio San Juan guagua to Sos?a and it also carries on to Cabarete (and beyond).

TechiTaxi is a syndicate of owner drivers so it is up to them if they want to work late at night or not. Certainly a few do, but as already advised you might have a bit of a wait. If you are in a more upmarket club someone will ring for a taxi for you (for a tip). Check the price before you accept but most will be same price as TechiTaxi or similar.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
I take a walk out to main gate and catch a taxi to the malecon or sirena for two hundred pesos most will give you their cell number for you to call them for a pick up.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
. About how much is a phone chip in the playa dorada plaza? .... I have a blackberry curve, will a chip in DR work? ... Do I also buy some minutes at the playa dorada plaza? Thanks .....

I think it is about 10 US and you get some minutes with that. Is your BB unlocked? IF so then no problem BUT your use of internet and email will EAT up your phone card time so be careful. You are probably better to buy a cheap phone here.

Good advice - if you are going to Sosua or Cabarete take a carro publico. Coming back at night you can purchase the entire car if you want to for less then 20 US. Carros publico are safe and secure as long as you use your head!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
. So do u think techi taxi wil take me anywhere in puerto plata or susua/cabarete? ..... Do they run late at night? ... I have no problems with taking a taxi outside the gate in playa dorada or a gua gua or carro publico but I just want to make sure that I will be able to get back to my hotel. I also want to go to the sirena store and teleferico, will techi taxi or a motoconcho take me? ...I'm worried because I'm not going to have a phone on me! ....so how do I go about telling them when to pick me up? ....where near playa dorada can I connect a phone if I bring one from the U.S? ....thanks very much
The techi taxi option sounds good to me. They probably will have no problem getting in to Playa Dorada. The day you arrive buy a cheap phone (300 pesos includes 100 pesos in minutes). Walk or use MC's between clubs and phone techi to get you back to the hotel. When you leave, give the phone away to whoever. Enjoy.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Be very aware that no outside taxi can PICK YOU UP in Playa Dorada. There is a taxi union and they will not allow outside taxis to take their clients. You can be dropped off by any company without issue!

Once settled if you want the name of a driver who will pick you up OUTSIDE Playa Dorada let me know - he speaks English and will wait all evening for you and or with you.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I think it is about 10 US and you get some minutes with that. Is your BB unlocked? IF so then no problem BUT your use of internet and email will EAT up your phone card time so be careful. You are probably better to buy a cheap phone here.

If you are going to Sosua or Cabarete take a carro publico. Coming back at night you can purchase the entire car if you want to for less then 20 US.
Much less. The going rate from Sos?a to Puerto Plata seems to be 400 pesos (about US$11) though they would probably charge you 500 to drop you off inside Playa Dorada (if they are allowed to do that).

You might find a big price hike to do the same from Cabarete, although not a lot more in miles, because they would be going way off their normal route and these rough, tough guys can be surprisingly nervous of doing that.

I not actually sure what the advantage of booking the whole cab is. If you want more room you could just buy two seats (100 pesos instead of 50 at night) and you wouldn't save more than 5 minutes over the whole trip. If because of safety I actually feel more secure in a cab with other passengers than with just a driver. I remember in my early years here when I could speak nil Spanish I happened to be the last passenger left in a publico and the driver mumbled something and made a big detour to the back of La Uni?n (Liberaci?n?), disappeared into a house and reappeared ith two meals in plasticos, one for him and one for me. Little episodes like this soon made me realise I was no longer in Kansas (or in my case, The U.K.).

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
The advantage of buying the whole car is late at night not having to wait for it to fill up!!!! Otherwise you may sit for 30 minutes waiting for enough people to fill the damn car.

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
DMV 123 ...can I get the info of that driver .... I need someone that could drive me around for cheap .... I would like to go to the malecon, sirena, cabarete, sosua, and to clubs ...... I will gladly give this driver a nice tip instead of giving a tip to a private taxi that charge crazy rates to take you on a 5 mile ride. ...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.