Need Advice on Sivory/Uvero Alto area!

jdavemb

May 8, 2011
It seems like you guys have a pretty good community here with a ton of information that has really helped us plan accordingly-so thanks!

My wife and I are flying into SDQ (had to book last minute-only remotely affordable option!), but are staying at the Sivory in Uvero Alto. I have a few questions that I just can't find an answer to after searching-any advice greatly appreciated!

-Has anyone ever stayed at the Sivory? Thoughts on the value of the AI plan vs. menu pricing?
-The Sivory is pretty remote-I'm thinking we'll want a car, but is it unrealistic to drive from SDQ to Uvero Alto? And is there anything in the Uvero Alto/Bavaro area that you'd recommend we venture out for?

Our other option for transport is a shared transfer for $210 round trip for two. The car rental is $190, plus we would have the option of heading out to see some things on our own, but worry about the drive from SDQ.

I'm sure I'll have other questions come up-but any advice, thoughts, mockery, is appreciated!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Do not know what your time line is but if you have a night at either end, it would be better to rent the car in the city rather than at the airport when you first arrive.. It will take you four hours, I think, to drive from SD to PC ... so unless you are going to arrive before 1 PM and do not have any time zone changes .. then you had best be rested for the drive. You do NOT want to be driving here after dark on your first day.

But, certainly having a car at the resort will make your stay much nicer. It can get deadly dull at an All Inclusive unless you are either bone tired or deeply in love.

I do not know anything about the resort.. but if you are going for value, the buffets and stuff included in the price are quite adequate and nutricious.... This is not an haute cuisine sort of Island.. and you may find better atmosphere and presentations at the a la carte restaurants at the resort, and the recipies might be better.. but it is the same food. For my money, I would have a great breakfast, and head out in the car to explore all the way to Miches... eat something simple on the road if you have to .. and make it back to the beach for the 4 PM to sunset shift. This will prevent you from either getting sunburned or drunk

enjoy

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
No Mockery Here

There is no mockery here, just advice from a Punta Cana greengo.

If you have experience handling a car in a remote area and the Sivory is remote, you may do OK.
However, if you are just a weekday commuter, rethink your options.

The road trip from Santo Domingo to Higuey is on reasonable road systems, beyond Higuey to Uvero Alto they are poor. A first timer to the area would find driving very stressful nearing the end of a four hour plus trek from Santo Domingo.

Keep this in mind, the local road(s) to the resort are in variable condition; they are rural, mostly unimproved, full of pot holes especially those approaching Uvero Alto. They are taxing during daylight hours and unwelcome at night; even for the locals. Signage is minimal, if any. Also, you have to contend with the poor driving habits of your fellow traveling public.

PJT suggests for you to remain stressless, let someone else do the driving. Enjoy the resort. If you want to go out and see the area, book a local tour.

Regards,

PJT

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Sivory Punta Cana is, probably, the most niche boutique hotel on the Dominican Republic's East Coast. The majority of the guests come here for a complete escape and the hotel's remote location gives them exactly that, as it is the furthest north of any resort in Punta Cana. It can be a wonderful stay or a horrible one, depending on what type of vacation you want.

If you want to be more independent and travel out on your own, then definitely rent a car. You will need your own transport to come and go and possibly visit the local community scene of Bavaro, which is far away. As already mentioned, do not attempt this drive after a long flight. It is about four hours from SDQ to Sivory and it is not the most enjoyable drive. You will pass through two cities (La Romana and Higuey) with plenty of people on motos, speed bumbs, turns, potholes, etc. It's really not that bad, but it's tiring.

The other option is to coordinate private transportation and do day excursions to venture out of the hotel. If interested, we can coordinate this for you. This is our ad on dr1 if you would like to contact us :Caribbean Dream - Tours & Excursions - Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

jdavemb

May 8, 2011
Thanks!

wow-this place is awesome!

great information. fortunately, i'm only flying from Atlanta, so it's a quick 3 hours. PJT, i have read about the last stretch of the drive being the most treacherous. with our flight landing at 1.45, throwing in customs, baggage, etc., we would be pushing it driving on our own to make it by sun down i would think. might either hire a transfer or do the Bavaro Express bus route. You guys have any thoughts on this?

the AI option at the Sivory is absurd-$189 per person, per day-so basically $2,650 just for food for the week. i hope to be eating platinum coated lobster tail. i don't think i could try and drop that kind of coin at restaurants in a week, and we don't exactly hold back...

Caribbeandreamto-your link to your ad didn't work, but we would love to look at a few options for both private transportation and excursions.

thanks!

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
wow-this place is awesome!

great information. fortunately, i'm only flying from Atlanta, so it's a quick 3 hours. PJT, i have read about the last stretch of the drive being the most treacherous. with our flight landing at 1.45, throwing in customs, baggage, etc., we would be pushing it driving on our own to make it by sun down i would think. might either hire a transfer or do the Bavaro Express bus route. You guys have any thoughts on this?

the AI option at the Sivory is absurd-$189 per person, per day-so basically $2,650 just for food for the week. i hope to be eating platinum coated lobster tail. i don't think i could try and drop that kind of coin at restaurants in a week, and we don't exactly hold back...

Caribbeandreamto-your link to your ad didn't work, but we would love to look at a few options for both private transportation and excursions.

thanks!

Sorry, there was a small change in the url yesterday: Caribbean Dream T.O. - Tours & Excursions - Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

That should work. From our ad, you can visit our website and check out excursion options. For a free quote on transportation, just fill out our form and we'll get right back to you.

You have to understand that the resort you chose is very niche, boutique and pricy. The food is excellent but you pay for the more intimate service. This is not a "typical" Punta Cana resort with big buffets, long lines and people getting drunk at the pool bar. Sivory is quiet, remote and intimate.

I'm not sure what the price difference is between the all inclusive option or any other option they have. In any case, there is nowhere close to eat outside the resort. Just a reminder.

Also, I would not recommend that you attempt the drive after your flight. It is a lot do to in one day - believe me. The Expreso Bavaro will get you to Bavaro but the last bus leaves at 4pm from Santo Domingo, not the airport. And the bus leaves you at Friusa in Bavaro, which is a about 40 minutes from Sivory Punta Cana.

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Pushing the envelope

jdavemb you are really pushing the envelope with your flight landing at SDQ at 1:45. If you want to connect to Bavaro Express you will have to clear the airport terminal and promptly head into Santo Domingo to make the 4:00 bus from Juan Ramirez Sanchez. If you are lucky you have an option to connect with that 4:00 bus at Parque Enriquillo which is on Ave Duarte in the central business district. On occasion the bus that departs JRS will stop, if needed, to pick up passengers at Parque Enriquillo to fill up the coach. The Parque Enriquillo location (not the best of places) is closer to airport and would cut your travel time from the airport to a bus stop. Parque Enriqillo is also the origin terminal of the buses to Higuey, the Sichoprola bus sindicate travels from Santo Domingo to Higuey hourly until 8:30 pm. You can connect to local transport (taxis ) at Higuey or Friusa. Because Higuey is 30 miles more distant you can expect a higher tariff to Uvero Alto.

You (or your travel agent?) may want to contact the Sivory and find out if they have a house airport transfer service available. It may be costly but worthwhile.

Also you may want to use the advanced search option in this forum to look up more information on transportation. Key in Bavaro Express or Sichoprola and you will obtain a wealth of information.

Regards,

PJT

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Just get a cab, $RD5000-5500 and be done with it, Santo domingo to your hotel, 3.5 hours tops, ya!!. If you need a car when you arrive then rent one from the hotel. Scrimping and scraping on these things just isn't worth it in the long run. You have nothing to visit for more than day in the area, rent a car for the day, see what is not to be seen and then relax into the A/I that they area is designed for.

jdavemb

May 8, 2011
Again-thanks for all the advice. I think we are going to take it and just hire a transportation service, not worry about it, and just soak it up. I really thought it would be easier to drive, but after listening to both you fine folks and the reviews of the roads-I'd just assume not worry about it. I drive in the chaos of atlanta traffic everyday- but it's vacation, right?!

Thanks again. I'll try to post a good thorough review of the sivory upon return as I haven't found much regarding it on here and think it could use it!