Legalizing Marijuana in the DR- why not?

2nice

May 2, 2011
Why would legalization of marijuana in the DR be bad? It is obvious that DR's economy is lacking and being that resources are limited, growth potential is limited as well. And I do speak without full knowledge of the economic structure of the DR, so I really am asking the question..."why not?" Now, I realize the concern of society setbacks relative to it infering with youth today, but this can be controlled in various ways and not to mention that if the youth wanted it bad enough they can still get it. The United States is a country of endless laws and politics. However, over the past few years there has been discussion of legalizing marijuana and as it is well known- there are 5 or so states that have began allowing it for medicinal use. I believe that we are living in an era of prohibition with marijuana and eventually it will start to be widely accepted in the same manner alcohol is.Therefore, I ask why doesnt the DR use this as a time to get a head start, bring a boom to the economy on multiple levels. Jobs, Tourism, Tax Revenue, etc.... I guess one concern might be all of the dominicans stop working and just trying to have some sort of business relative to marijuana. For example, the excessive motochoncos and taxis, all of the vendors selling sunglasses and gimmick items, the tour guides, and the street kids all start trying to pedal the marijuana and parofanalia in the streets or change there business to selling it...... However, if the law is implemented correctly with various controls to prevent certain things from happening, then I believe the legalization could have a tremendous positive impact on the economy as a whole. Not to mention, as we have obverved with every other industry in the histroy of capitalism- everything tends to balance itself out in the long run. If there are more pros that I am not mentioning I would love to hear. Also, please be devils advocate and voice negatives as well. This is an open thread and I just want to think about not only the pros, but the CONS AS WELL.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
weed is not such a big deal in DR, methinks. it's more about cocaine and mainly transport of it.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Like DV8 says, hash isn't such a big deal here. I don't think the stuff should be legal anywhere, for people to be wafting the stuff in my direction in public would not be nice, the stuff makes me want to puke.
This is an age old debate and one that will never be seen through. The top and bottom of it is hash is an illegal drug and effects peoples mental state. Yes you have the comeback of alcohol does so much more damage. Well, I personally disagree mentally, short term and in excess then maybe, but I've got pals who are nervous wrecks these days after smoking for 20 years of so.
Can you imagine an open debate among intelligent adults where the introduction of a mind altering drug was introduced into society? Parts of Europe it is pretty much accepted and in some places completely legal, but it is controlled and somehow works. I can't imagine wreckless lawless dumbass countries like this keeping any control on anything, yet alone legalising drugs.
And apart from that, the profits are to small on hash, coke is king where cash is king, big profits, nuff siad.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im not sure you correct about the "not big deal" ...I know its all around but you can be arrested if the police officer thinks fit

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No, by no big deal I meant I rarely see it. I rarely see stoned people or smell it (thankfully) whereas everyone wears plates in their eyes in the city.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
I personally agree with your argument on a Dominican Republic and US level. Alcohol is just as dangerous, if not more, than marijuana. Another drug, nicotine, is currently legal.

Marijuana is widely used in the Dominican Republic but it is very hush, hush. People are paranoid purchasing it, traveling with it, etc. Any implications involving drugs in the DR are serious implications. Sometimes bribes get people off the hook, sometimes they do not.

It's an interesting argument you propose but I do not see this becoming a reality anytime soon.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It is my firm belief that marijuana will tend to be the first hardcore drug the user will experiment with. Marijuana will lead to harder drugs and Dominicans frown upon any type of drug use. Has not happen in Jamaica and WILL never happen in the DR.

2nice

May 2, 2011
Like DV8 says, hash isn't such a big deal here. I don't think the stuff should be legal anywhere, for people to be wafting the stuff in my direction in public would not be nice, the stuff makes me want to puke.
This is an age old debate and one that will never be seen through. The top and bottom of it is hash is an illegal drug and effects peoples mental state. Yes you have the comeback of alcohol does so much more damage. Well, I personally disagree mentally, short term and in excess then maybe, but I've got pals who are nervous wrecks these days after smoking for 20 years of so.
Can you imagine an open debate among intelligent adults where the introduction of a mind altering drug was introduced into society? Parts of Europe it is pretty much accepted and in some places completely legal, but it is controlled and somehow works. I can't imagine wreckless lawless dumbass countries like this keeping any control on anything, yet alone legalising drugs.
And apart from that, the profits are to small on hash, coke is king where cash is king, big profits, nuff siad.

Well, the revenues would certainly support the control of it if need be. Your last line just ruined the whole argument by the way. Although the profits would be substantial, the profits not only come from marijuana itself, but they also come from liscensing, the taxing, parofanalia, increase in tourism, and the whatever other types that can be built around the legalization of it. Besides, if there are profits in nicotine- there will most certainly be profits in marijuana. The profit margin on coke is high for various other reasons based around the difficulty to get it into developed countries. Idk, I could further argue your last line statement, but it is just like-"why bother?" Its such a bad statement on so many levels so its just LOL.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Do you really feel that legalizing it would stop it from being sold illegally? hahaha, Cigarettes are now sold around 60-40% (in the UK alone) on the black market, so much is sold illegally. All legalization would do is make it difficult to arrest someone for having it. Your ideal that this wouldn't be abused is just so naive, or very badly thought through!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is my firm belief that marijuana will tend to be the first hardcore drug the user will experiment with. Marijuana will lead to harder drugs and Dominicans frown upon any type of drug use. Has not happen in Jamaica and WILL never happen in the DR.

I am afraid you are correct. Many billions of dollars will continue to be spent on this failed war on drugs.

Legalize it, regulate it , and tax it. That will never happen in the DR unless the US does it first. The DR would never even consider it until if the US does not do it first.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The US would not look kindly on it. A few years ago when hemp production was being discussed as an alternative to the banana crop in the Windward Islands - even though hemp has no narcotic qualities the plant is identical in appearance to cannabis - the concern was they wouldn't be able to tell the difference when monitoring by air.

Simeon

Aug 7, 2010
Ignorance

Thought this discussion was about Marijuana not Hashish... They are not the same..like comparing pure grain alcohol to beer.
The most abused drug in the world is food, ( yes I know its not considered a drug) food addiction harms more people and cost society more than all prescription drugs, coke, heroin, alcohol and nicotine combined.
Fat and obesity destroys the body, marijuana does not harm the body, is not addictive and creates no psychological dependency but can become habitual just as food can. There is no evidence using marijuana leads to the use of hard drugs such as coke or heroin, a total myth. Heroin, by the way, does no harm to the body, is totally safe; However it is highly addictive. Cocaine which stimulates the central nervous system doesn't totally metabolize in the body, leaving somewhat harmful residues.
The discussion among law makers rather to legalize it (Marijuana) or not is impeded by their own ignorance, and them wanting to believe in the incorrect statements of others and ignoring the facts. Personal opinions are discussed rather than the facts. Any real discussion on this topic should be totally objective and not subjective so that untruths arent spread.
In reality, as in most everything, its the excess or extreme use (lack of self control) that creates the problems.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yip, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the detailed knowledge of drugs and how useful they are and for what reason and why this and that, I've got better things to do with my time than consider the difference between hash and marajuana, to me it is pretty much the same thing, does the same thing and thats all I need to know, it makes me want to vomit, my friends paranoid and the majority of dole mongering scum that won't get up off their arse in the UK and get a job, won't do so because they are smoking the $hit.
Like you most of my dope smoking friends know the entirety of everything anyone could ever want to know about marajuana/hash/weed whatever you wanna call it, as they become so dependent they do consider this stuff before much more important things, like doing something with the day, or infact life. Or as many users seem to do, spend time reading books on the stuff, or searching the web.
I appreciate your insight into the fine details of the stuff, very educational, thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thought this discussion was about Marijuana not Hashish... They are not the same..like comparing pure grain alcohol to beer.
Marijuana and hashish are, respectively, the leaf and the resin of the cannabis sativa plant. Both can be highly potent. So I'm told. ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As long as drugs are illegal, nations treasuries will be drained in the losing effort to stop it, cities built with the bazillions from the trade, little old ladies get mugged to finance the end users, prisons are filled with largely non-violent criminals and a massive economy operates in the shadows not rendering unto Caesar his due.

Now tell me again the terrible problems recreational drugs cause society?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We all know the DR won't legalize drugs in our lifetimes however if some feel so strong maybe they should present a proposal to Leonel. :)

As to the issue of legalizing drugs that's a pandoras box for sure. I understand there are many proponents but unfortunately most seem to ignore what history has shown with regard to widespread use of certain drugs.

Finally, while plausible that the reasons why some drugs are not legal aren't logical but such is life and one questions is picking a battle to remedy this "gross unjustice" really worth it when there are so many other much more worthy causes.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Why would legalization of marijuana in the DR be bad? .... This is an open thread and I just want to think about not only the pros, but the CONS AS WELL.

Far out.

Sales of munchies would zoom.

It would be hard to find the door.

:paranoid::cross-eye

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
The cost of medical is high and there is two main reasons one alcohol second is tobacco. Adding another legalized drug to the list will only put medical costs even higher. If you need drugs to feed good you have a problem and having everyone else with the same problem dose not make it right.