Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Legalizing Marijuana in the DR- why not?

Why would legalization of marijuana in the DR be bad? It is obvious that DR's economy is lacking and being that resources are limited, growth potential is limited as well. And I do speak without full knowledge of the economic structure of the DR, so I really am asking the question..."why not?" Now, I realize the concern of society setbacks relative to it infering with youth today, but this can be controlled in various ways and not to mention that if the youth wanted it bad enough they can still get it. The United States is a country of endless laws and politics. However, over the past few years there has been discussion of legalizing marijuana and as it is well known- there are 5 or so states that have began allowing it for medicinal use. I believe that we are living in an era of prohibition with marijuana and eventually it will start to be widely accepted in the same manner alcohol is.Therefore, I ask why doesnt the DR use this as a time to get a head start, bring a boom to the economy on multiple levels. Jobs, Tourism, Tax Revenue, etc.... I guess one concern might be all of the dominicans stop working and just trying to have some sort of business relative to marijuana. For example, the excessive motochoncos and taxis, all of the vendors selling sunglasses and gimmick items, the tour guides, and the street kids all start trying to pedal the marijuana and parofanalia in the streets or change there business to selling it...... However, if the law is implemented correctly with various controls to prevent certain things from happening, then I believe the legalization could have a tremendous positive impact on the economy as a whole. Not to mention, as we have obverved with every other industry in the histroy of capitalism- everything tends to balance itself out in the long run. If there are more pros that I am not mentioning I would love to hear. Also, please be devils advocate and voice negatives as well. This is an open thread and I just want to think about not only the pros, but the CONS AS WELL.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

weed is not such a big deal in DR, methinks. it's more about cocaine and mainly transport of it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Like DV8 says, hash isn't such a big deal here. I don't think the stuff should be legal anywhere, for people to be wafting the stuff in my direction in public would not be nice, the stuff makes me want to puke.
    This is an age old debate and one that will never be seen through. The top and bottom of it is hash is an illegal drug and effects peoples mental state. Yes you have the comeback of alcohol does so much more damage. Well, I personally disagree mentally, short term and in excess then maybe, but I've got pals who are nervous wrecks these days after smoking for 20 years of so.
    Can you imagine an open debate among intelligent adults where the introduction of a mind altering drug was introduced into society? Parts of Europe it is pretty much accepted and in some places completely legal, but it is controlled and somehow works. I can't imagine wreckless lawless dumbass countries like this keeping any control on anything, yet alone legalising drugs.
    And apart from that, the profits are to small on hash, coke is king where cash is king, big profits, nuff siad.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure you correct about the "not big deal" ...I know its all around but you can be arrested if the police officer thinks fit

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

No, by no big deal I meant I rarely see it. I rarely see stoned people or smell it (thankfully) whereas everyone wears plates in their eyes in the city.

Advertiser
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally agree with your argument on a Dominican Republic and US level. Alcohol is just as dangerous, if not more, than marijuana. Another drug, nicotine, is currently legal.

Marijuana is widely used in the Dominican Republic but it is very hush, hush. People are paranoid purchasing it, traveling with it, etc. Any implications involving drugs in the DR are serious implications. Sometimes bribes get people off the hook, sometimes they do not.

It's an interesting argument you propose but I do not see this becoming a reality anytime soon.
    Punta Cana Destination Management Company
    http://dr1.com/directories/Caribbean-Dream.html

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

It is my firm belief that marijuana will tend to be the first hardcore drug the user will experiment with. Marijuana will lead to harder drugs and Dominicans frown upon any type of drug use. Has not happen in Jamaica and WILL never happen in the DR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    Like DV8 says, hash isn't such a big deal here. I don't think the stuff should be legal anywhere, for people to be wafting the stuff in my direction in public would not be nice, the stuff makes me want to puke.
    This is an age old debate and one that will never be seen through. The top and bottom of it is hash is an illegal drug and effects peoples mental state. Yes you have the comeback of alcohol does so much more damage. Well, I personally disagree mentally, short term and in excess then maybe, but I've got pals who are nervous wrecks these days after smoking for 20 years of so.
    Can you imagine an open debate among intelligent adults where the introduction of a mind altering drug was introduced into society? Parts of Europe it is pretty much accepted and in some places completely legal, but it is controlled and somehow works. I can't imagine wreckless lawless dumbass countries like this keeping any control on anything, yet alone legalising drugs.
    And apart from that, the profits are to small on hash, coke is king where cash is king, big profits, nuff siad.
    Well, the revenues would certainly support the control of it if need be. Your last line just ruined the whole argument by the way. Although the profits would be substantial, the profits not only come from marijuana itself, but they also come from liscensing, the taxing, parofanalia, increase in tourism, and the whatever other types that can be built around the legalization of it. Besides, if there are profits in nicotine- there will most certainly be profits in marijuana. The profit margin on coke is high for various other reasons based around the difficulty to get it into developed countries. Idk, I could further argue your last line statement, but it is just like-"why bother?" Its such a bad statement on so many levels so its just LOL.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you really feel that legalizing it would stop it from being sold illegally? hahaha, Cigarettes are now sold around 60-40% (in the UK alone) on the black market, so much is sold illegally. All legalization would do is make it difficult to arrest someone for having it. Your ideal that this wouldn't be abused is just so naive, or very badly thought through!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    It is my firm belief that marijuana will tend to be the first hardcore drug the user will experiment with. Marijuana will lead to harder drugs and Dominicans frown upon any type of drug use. Has not happen in Jamaica and WILL never happen in the DR.
    I am afraid you are correct. Many billions of dollars will continue to be spent on this failed war on drugs.

Legalize it, regulate it , and tax it. That will never happen in the DR unless the US does it first. The DR would never even consider it until if the US does not do it first.

11. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast