Spanish Schools - Cabarete / Saman? / Boca Chica

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2011
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a Spanish language school in the Dominican Republic and would like to be near a beach. I've narrowed my search down to Cabarete and the surrounding area, Saman? and the surrounding area and Boca Chica and the surrounding area. My preference is to hire a private tutor, as the Spanish schools I've looked into are extremely expensive. I am an advanced speaker, but still don't consider myself fluent :(

1. Is anyone familiar with a highly regarded Spanish teacher, or a school that doesn't charge more than $15/hour for private instruction, in any of these areas?

2. Is it fairly easy to find a private tutor once you are in the area simply by asking around?

3. Which area is the "safest"? I am a 26 year old female traveling alone...I've heard a lot of horror stories regarding the north coast...I'm going to study Spanish, but I want to be able to relax...

Thanks!

Jan 17, 2009
I was going to suggest the Cabarete Language Institute but if you conisder $16 expensive it won't work for you. I can't imagine you can get private lessons for less than $16 an hour whose a native speaker and, hopefully, with really good language and teaching skills.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
CLI charged me $22/hr for semi-private lessons last year (there was 1 other person in the class) and I highly recommend them. It's not that far off from $16/hr and maybe you can get the per-hour price down if you book more hours.

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
For some perspective, I recently engaged a Dominican college student in the States for language lessons. She charges $40 an hour. That might make the Cabarete costs seem high by comparison, but that's for you to judge. (for all the wiseguys on DR1, this deal involves Spanish lessons ONLY!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.