Best City for Summer Work

jhodge1002

May 8, 2011
I am 27 years old, American male with Dominican residency (and therefore can work legally in DR). I live in Spain but will be coming to DR for the summer to apply for my French student visa for the fall.

Reading through everything it is hard to pinpoint where is the best place for me to spend three months. I would like to work, more so to improve my Spanish and meet people than to earn money. I will also need an apartment for no more than 500 USD per month. Most importantly I need a modern, well equiped gym.

From my readings Punta Cana is fairly more developed and I am more likely to find the convieneces that I can find in the US or Europe. And more likely to find a gym. Although I won't have a car so the a city that is easily accessible is important. So far its Punta Cana, Santo Domingo (i think id like something a little more laidback of the summer), Cabarete, or La Romana.

Any suggestiongs? Thanks

Jack

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
If you don't have a car, don't consider Bavaro/Punta Cana. This is not a city you can easily navigate without your own transport; it is the entire east coast of the DR.

If you want to work, Santo Domingo has the most opportunities available to you and modern gyms. But the question would be: what do you want to work in?

Work opportunities and modern gyms are not available in La Romana and Cabarete. You have Gold's Gym in Cabarete but you'll need a vehicle to get there.

If you have no car and you want to work, you're only viable option would be the capital but don't expect a laid back Caribbean life. Santo Domingo is fast paced and very formal for being a Caribbean city.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Many that have your goal are Kite Surf Instructors who visit Cabarete for months at a time and split their time in South America as well during the windy seasons in both regions.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Bavaro/Punta Cana is not a city, neither is Cabarete, Sosua, Pop only just makes it into city in my opinion.
No car, forget Punta cana, you can find Gyms everywhere, although standards I'm unsure.
If you come to the capital then expect stress and laid back living is not something we get often, unless your idea of fun relaxed living is never leaving your front gate.
My recomendation would be to go to Cabarete. If you speak spanish you'll probably find some form of work. If you do watersports then you have a bigger chance and wider than barwork which more or less seems to be women only.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bavaro/Punta Cana is not a city, neither is Cabarete, Sosua, Pop only just makes it into city in my opinion.
No car, forget Punta cana, you can find Gyms everywhere, although standards I'm unsure.
If you come to the capital then expect stress and laid back living is not something we get often, unless your idea of fun relaxed living is never leaving your front gate.
My recomendation would be to go to Cabarete. If you speak spanish you'll probably find some form of work. If you do watersports then you have a bigger chance and wider than barwork which more or less seems to be women only.

If you have French, Spanish, English Las Terrenas could be possible, There's a handful of gringo's come for the summer to work. Night reception, excursion sales, odd landscaping jobs, supervising rental changeovers etc. Definite gym.

Yanandu